Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unexpected or unprepared for kundalini awakening?

Unexpected or unprepared for kundalini awakening?

Namaste.

Shuddhasattva's thread on chakras prompted me to delve into it. I came across kundalini awakening. I've known that kundalini is the energy that sits at the base of the spine, analogized to a coiled serpent, but I never gave it any thought or read up on it. I've never been trained or guided in any forms of yoga, except bhakti and karma, which I think is inherent to everyone.

Maybe I am overthinking this, but from what I've read briefly of kundalini awakening it can happen spontaneously, sometimes with negative effects. The physical and psychological effects are listed as (red highlight are what I experience):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini#Unpreparedness
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundali...ogical_effects

Involuntary jerks, tremors, shaking, itching, tingling, and crawling sensations, especially in the arms and legs
    Energy rushes or feelings of electricity circulating the body
    Intense heat (sweating) or cold, especially as energy is experienced passing through the chakras (at night while sitting in the recliner, I will get a feeling of cold passing through my body usually from right to left, across my back.)
    Spontaneous pranayama, asanas, mudras and bandhas
    Visions or sounds at times associated with a particular chakra
    Diminished or conversely extreme sexual desire sometimes leading to a state of constant or whole-body orgasm
    Emotional upheavals or surfacing of unwanted and repressed feelings or thoughts with certain repressed emotions becoming dominant in the conscious mind for short or long periods of time.[18]
    Headache, migraine, or pressure inside the skull
    Increased blood pressure and irregular heartbeat
    Emotional numbness
    Antisocial tendencies
    Mood swings with periods of depression or mania
    Pains in different areas of the body, especially back and neck
    Sensitivity to light, sound, and touch
    Trance-like and altered states of consciousness
    Disrupted sleep pattern (periods of insomnia or oversleeping)
    Loss of apetite or overeating
    Bliss, feelings of infinite love and universal connectivity, transcendent awareness

Why does this happen, and what can I do to control it? For years I've been treated for bipolar 2/hypomania, but I wonder if if it's not brain chemistry, but kundalini awakening. Or am I misunderstanding the whole thing?
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Re: Unexpected or unprepared for kundalini awakening?

Namaste

I personally find that 'kundalini awakening' (in the usual sense) and 'kundalini syndrome' and such are more the preserve of the Western spiritual supermarket, if I may use such a crass phrase, than of yoga/SD.

There is however an excellent book written by Gopi Krishna called Kundalini: The Evolutionary Energy in Man which documents a kundalini awakening gone awry.

There are 3 main nadis that run up the spine - Ida, Pingala & Sushumna. Kundalini is supposed to go up the Sushumna. Gopi Krishna's theory is that in his case, kundalini instead went up the wrong nadi (pingala) causing him terrible pains and anxieties.

Coming to your own case...

Here is my view, which I believe is supported by shastra and oral instruction. It is as given to me by my guru.

Embodied consciousness, its states, and the procession through those states is determined by the relative position of energy traveling through the nadis. It is said, as early as the Upanishads, that there are 72,000 nadis.

Many "sparks," if you will, of energy are traversing through many nadis simultaneously. The relative position and trajectory of them at any given time is sort of the blueprint of the current conscious state.

This energy is the pranas - varying types of subtle 'winds' or essences. All of these pranas are really subsidiaries of kundalini as the primordial vital energy.

The goal as generally stated of laya (kundalini) yoga is to pull back all of these disparate, disarrayed impulses meandering through one's system and push the prana, thus purified by withdrawal, into the central channel - the sushumna. This withdrawal if facilitated by realization of the magnetizing force of Shiva above, and self-identification with Kula Kundalini.

Kundalini is a constant phenomenon. It is both the universal energy and the vital energy. Any embodied creature is experiencing kundalini so to speak - consciousness is kundalini, citkala. However, it is in a disordered and slumbering state, drunk with the rasa of maya.

Spiritual endeavors, use of hallucinogenic drugs, near death experiences, many experiences for that matter, etc., trigger new patterns of kundalini activity, trending towards the energy being withdrawn from lesser bodily functions and dedicated towards the central channel of awakening.

However, with a lack of proper preparation, initiation and constant guidance of the guru, and correct sadhana, this too can be disarrayed, and like electricity when encountering resistance (generates heat, a lower form of energy) can result in the symptoms you have described.

Why does this happen, and what can I do to control it? For years I've been treated for bipolar 2/hypomania, but I wonder if if it's not brain chemistry, but kundalini awakening. Or am I misunderstanding the whole thing?
    So I would say that your question here reflects a false dichotomy. It is both brain chemistry and kundalini.

As far the much more important question, how you control it ... I suggest you take a threepronged approach.
    1. Continue as you are, established and further establishing yourself in worship, satsang, study and meditation.
    2. Look into laya yoga (carefully!), and a competent guru to give instructions, so that this energy may be safely transmuted to higher states of consciousness
    3. Re-assess your treatment regimen. I am personally extremely skeptical of the modern system of medicine. There is a good body of evidence that shows that psychotropic drugs, now almost casually prescribed to children as young as 2 on the basis of fad diagnoses like ADD, cause incalculably more harm than they prevent.
    I pray this is helpful to you.

Namaste

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    Namaste.

Shuddhasattva's thread on chakras prompted me to delve into it. I came across kundalini awakening. I've known that kundalini is the energy that sits at the base of the spine, analogized to a coiled serpent, but I never gave it any thought or read up on it. I've never been trained or guided in any forms of yoga, except bhakti and karma, which I think is inherent to everyone.

Maybe I am overthinking this, but from what I've read briefly of kundalini awakening it can happen spontaneously, sometimes with negative effects. The physical and psychological effects are listed as (red highlight are what I experience):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini#Unpreparedness
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundali...ogical_effects

Involuntary jerks, tremors, shaking, itching, tingling, and crawling sensations, especially in the arms and legs
    Energy rushes or feelings of electricity circulating the body
    Intense heat (sweating) or cold, especially as energy is experienced passing through the chakras (at night while sitting in the recliner, I will get a feeling of cold passing through my body usually from right to left, across my back.)
    Spontaneous pranayama, asanas, mudras and bandhas
    Visions or sounds at times associated with a particular chakra
    Diminished or conversely extreme sexual desire sometimes leading to a state of constant or whole-body orgasm
    Emotional upheavals or surfacing of unwanted and repressed feelings or thoughts with certain repressed emotions becoming dominant in the conscious mind for short or long periods of time.[18]
    Headache, migraine, or pressure inside the skull
    Increased blood pressure and irregular heartbeat
    Emotional numbness
    Antisocial tendencies
    Mood swings with periods of depression or mania
    Pains in different areas of the body, especially back and neck
    Sensitivity to light, sound, and touch
    Trance-like and altered states of consciousness
    Disrupted sleep pattern (periods of insomnia or oversleeping)
    Loss of apetite or overeating
    Bliss, feelings of infinite love and universal connectivity, transcendent awareness

Namaste,

As always, my approach is not traditional, so YMMV.

I've experienced Kuṇḍalinī for quite a while now. Anytime I withdraw into myself, I can almost always feel the Kuṇḍalinī as an intense vibration in my spine, and soon after it is accompanied by intense bliss and joy. It doesn't even matter if I am meditating or not; it just happens if I am not otherwise engaged.

I would say that once you start feeling a lot of energy in the spine would be a good indication of Kuṇḍalinī. I would continue to meditate and do devotion and so forth, and simply allow a space for Kuṇḍalinī to make itself known and begin to awaken.

Namaste, and thank you so much. I won't pretend that a lot of it is not over my head, but I think I get the gist of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuddhasattva View Post
    Namaste

I personally find that 'kundalini awakening' (in the usual sense) and 'kundalini syndrome' and such are more the preserve of the Western spiritual supermarket, if I may use such a crass phrase, than of yoga/SD.
    I did come across that too. It goes to the New Age "male bovine excrement" so prevalent in the west. This is why I am turning to the Hindu and eastern teachings and methodologies.

There is however an excellent book written by Gopi Krishna called Kundalini: The Evolutionary Energy in Man which documents a kundalini awakening gone awry.
    I will look for it, even if to peruse it in the local Barnes & Noble bookstore. I doubt the public library would have (but you never know!).

Coming to your own case...

Here is my view, which I believe is supported by shastra and oral instruction. It is as given to me by my guru.

[snipped for space]

However, with a lack of proper preparation, initiation and constant guidance of the guru, and correct sadhana, this too can be disarrayed, and like electricity when encountering resistance (generates heat, a lower form of energy) can result in the symptoms you have described.
    My sadhana has been highly disordered, and that is the understaement of the milennium. My bhakti doesn't waver, and I like to believe that even if this body came to an abrupt and violent end with little time to think, I would call out to Lord Krishna.

My disordered sadhana is the main reason I am working towards performing sadhana during Brahmamuhūrta, or at least no later than Samudramamuhūrta, finishing before sunrise (today it was at 5:27, which I again slept through ), and establishing a pattern of temple attendance.

The periods of Viṣṇumuhūrta, Yumigadyutimuhūrta, Brahmamuhūrta and Samudramamuhūrta are the only times I have any peace and alone time.

I am thinking of asking at the temple for recommendations for a guru. I don't know if the pujaris themselves would be qualified, but I'm sure they know who is.

So I would say that your question here reflects a false dichotomy. It is both brain chemistry and kundalini.
    Well, that is good to know. I don't want to dismiss anything out of hand.

As far the much more important question, how you control it ... I suggest you take a threepronged approach.
    1. Continue as you are, established and further establishing yourself in worship, satsang, study and meditation.
    2. Look into laya yoga (carefully!), and a competent guru to give instructions, so that this energy may be safely transmuted to higher states of consciousness
    3. Re-assess your treatment regimen. I am personally extremely skeptical of the modern system of medicine. There is a good body of evidence that shows that psychotropic drugs, now almost casually prescribed to children as young as 2 on the basis of fad diagnoses like ADD, cause incalculably more harm than they prevent.
    I pray this is helpful to you.

Namaste
    1. I am feeling more uplifted having begun temple attendance. I am working towards a more consistent meditative technique. As I am not initiated, I am using aum (inhale then exhale on aum); and soham, (inhale on so- and exhale on ham). I read also that hamsa refers to the atman and can be used like soham.

2. I think I would approach laya yoga (aka kundalini yoga?) only under proper guidance. I don't need to screw things up further by being a DIYer.

3. I couldn't agree more about the casual dispensation of meds. Feel crappy? Here's a prescription. I myself am not wild about being on the meds (Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Valium) and would like to wean off them after 4-5 years of being on them. I am afraid, however, of reverting to what I was before... periods of violent rage (never hurt anyone or anything though) then deep depression. It's called a mixed state and is a very bad place to be, with a high risk of suicidal thoughts and actions.

But you know, since I have put more faith in what the deities have been helping me with, I have a more peaceful feeling. I've had unexpected things happen that I know were gifts from a particular deity. My nosedives are few and far between now.

Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by Aum namah Śivāya View Post
    I would say that once you start feeling a lot of energy in the spine would be a good indication of Kuṇḍalinī. I would continue to meditate and do devotion and so forth, and simply allow a space for Kuṇḍalinī to make itself known and begin to awaken.

I think consistent meditation with proper breathing, and consistent sadhana is a key factor. I take a few minutes during the day, even sitting at my desk looking out the window and practice breathing and a period of mentally chanting aum and/or soham. I have evergreen bushes right outside the window, whose movements in the breeze can be calming. I need to spend more time doing this, though.

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    Namaste.

I think consistent meditation with proper breathing, and consistent sadhana is a key factor. I take a few minutes during the day, even sitting at my desk looking out the window and practice breathing and a period of mentally chanting aum and/or soham. I have evergreen bushes right outside the window, whose movements in the breeze can be calming. I need to spend more time doing this, though.
    Namaste,

Have you ever done any practice with directing energy up the spine? I think it was around the time I started to do that regularly that Kuṇḍalinī started to stir. The practices I did took a lot of concentration but seemed to directly work on Kuṇḍalinī.

I'm beginning to breathe and meditate on soham, feeling the rising and falling in the spine. It does take practice and concentration, but I think that's the whole point.

http://www.swamij.com/soham-mantra.htm

Vannakkam: For what its worth, I think kundalini is an extremely advanced yogic subject meant for the adept who has roots firmly grounded in ethics, bhakti, and more.

Not only would it be unwise to 'dabble' its far more likely its impossible, given many can't even sit still for 5 minutes. Traditionally, it would definitely involve celibacy, for example.

So from this POV, whatever these so called practitioners are doing is some sort of pseudo-kundalini. Of course anyone is free to call a spade a thimble if they wish. Perhaps walking the dog or getting the fake-shakes is a kundalini experience.

From the same viewpoint, for those of us who aren't ready, the stance is to be patient, get ourselves establised in the Yamas and Niyamas, and more, fully knowing that one of these lifetimes, we will be ready. Other than that knowledge, we just go about our business. In other words, don't worry about it ... at all.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste all,

Imo, Kundalini is something which we should not play with without a competent Guru. It can be dangerous. Only a Self-realised Guru can guide you properly safely on this path.

There are seven chakras of consciousness from MoolAdhAr to SahasrAr. There are three main nAdis, Ida, PingalA and ShushumNa. The Kundalini which is normally sleeping coiled at the MoolAdhAr has to travel through ShshumNa through various chakras to SahasrAr. There are various techniques available in Yoga. The awakening of Kunadalni can happen even without following the path of Yoga due by grace or due to past samskArs.

So, imho, anyone who is interested in this, should approach a proper Guru and then only do anything in this line. Before that, Yama, Niyama, prayers, yogic exercises etc. are advisable. In fact, one should learn meditation also from an accomplished yogi, as far as possible. Internet has become a dangerous thing where anyone is free to write anything and people may get tempted to attempt whatever is written there.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

हरिः ओम्

Namaste TBTL,

I would highly recommend that you read "Kundalini The Evolutionary Energy in Man." by Gopi Krishna;
    for insights into the ways in which
    Mātṛkā leads us to dance. This give great insights into the experiences felt
    and realised by the seers the
    ṛṣi.

It is best to be well versed in the yoga sutras, so that one is not destroyed by this energy; I would recommend
    the help of a Guru, or at the very least a close friend; there is much less chance that you injure your self or get your self into trouble,
    if you keep good company good company.

The evolutionary effects are arguably more pronounced with no guidance; it is just that its results
    are somewhat less predictable.

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    Last edited by Mana; 09 June 2012 at 01:57 PM.
    8i8

Thread Information