Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Does God exist?

Unhappy Does God exist?

Hello Ive been thinking over the last few days, does God exist? I know the bearded man on a cloud doesnt, but what about Brahman? Sense at my current spiritual state I cant experience Brahman how do I know Its there? What about personal gods like Ganesha? What Ive thought of is that people that have reached moksha know about them and tell us poor unenlightened fools about it. Why do you know or believe? Any Hindu arguments for God personal or impersonal or both?
    [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Thanks for any replies. Feel free to redirect me to any other threads that explain this. [/FONT]
    [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']I hope He/It/She does exist[/FONT]

Re: Does God exist?

:-)

What is your understanding of Brahman?

I personally tend to follow Advaita philosophy. It differentiates between Nirguna Brahman (featureless Brahman) and Saguna Brahman (deity that can hear/answer your prayers, etc., as you atheists would call it). Here is a fairly detailed thread on atheism vs Hinduism.

I dont know if Brahman exists. I dont know if a heaven/hell exist. I tend to experience benefits from Yoga/Pranayama. I can tell you that I have experienced peace of mind/clear thought process/improved concentration after that. Now, could I experience the same without being a Hindu? I dont know. Why, should I try? Am I any less for believing in the existence of Brahman? If you would like, you could strip all supernaturalism out of spirituality and go this route.

Are non-Hindus destined for Brahman's hellfire if they reject the concept of Brahman? Resounding no!

PS: Do you believe in complex numbers? Have you seen them? Do they exist?
    Last edited by wundermonk; 28 March 2011 at 02:39 PM.

Rudy...I can not answer this question for you.

Many many years ago I was very much devoted to a nameless form of Shiva...and though I had never seen proof of such existence I knew it to be so. In a billion years how could a perfect strawberry come to be upon this realm, so perfectly beautiful...and for us to taste and eat?

This was my only proof for many years, the simple things around us...the sunrise and sunset...such a miracle each day. That this rock spins with life abounding...this is a miracle despite the science I know is behind it.

But even this is not proof for you or an answer. Over time, discovering for ourselves can we know and understand this answer completely.

This time, happily came for me...I wasn't seeking it as I was very comfortable with the miracle of the strawberry as my proof.

You see I can tell you that I have seen things which positively prove that there is something beyond what these faulty senses can define. I have seen it, and I know it...and will never doubt it.

But what of you? Can you believe this Truth spoken from one who is nothing more than a name online for such an important Truth?

I wouldn't...it's so so much sweeter to know this one from your own experiences. Knowing it from your own place means you will never doubt it...never question yourself even when it appears silly.

So go out into this world, go everywhere... Run through a field and fall over breathless under the stars. Pray, with all your heart.

This answer is there, I promise<3

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Hello Ive been thinking over the last few days, does God exist? I know the bearded man on a cloud doesnt, but what about Brahman? Sense at my current spiritual state I cant experience Brahman how do I know Its there? What about personal gods like Ganesha? What Ive thought of is that people that have reached moksha know about them and tell us poor unenlightened fools about it. Why do you know or believe? Any Hindu arguments for God personal or impersonal or both?
    [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Thanks for any replies. Feel free to redirect me to any other threads that explain this. [/font]
    [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']I hope He/It/She does exist[/font]
    Vannakkam Rudy: I believe God exists. I don't know God exists in the way you describe the knowers knowing. My belief comes from two things: a very strong intuitive sense and experiences that are not explained away in any other way, and the fact that great saints say God exists. If you're looking for some sort of rational proof, you won't get it from me. Its beyond words, and proofs. This is a Hindu (believers) forum primarily although many would say Hinduism is even broad enough to encompass atheists. Personally, I'm not so sure.

Aum Namasivaya

Do I have proof of a "personal God" in the way you described? No I do not but I do believe that the sages were spot on. The way to "know God" as many hindus say is to go deep in bhakti or deep in meditation. I experienced God as a combination of the two. Saying the gayatri mantra, which is a meditative experience(per the mantra) and a bhakti one(giving praise to the almighty). I can't express what happens to me in meditative states(and I';ve only scraped the surface!) in oridnary language but it is a great peace beyond any other. Some people often claim seeing things such as patterns or shapes of lights when they are in deep meditation or in deep bhakti. This happened to me as well and I feel it is the subliminal energy that we send out in these transcendental states.

Back on topic. Does it really matter if there is a "personal god" or not. To me it doesn't...it doesn't shake my belief in Brahman one bit it may require me to study the scriptures in a different light but that's about it.

Remember. As opposed to Abrahamic faiths our scriptures aren't used to show the "greatness" of God but to reveal the subliminal truths of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    This is a Hindu (believers) forum primarily although many would say Hinduism is even broad enough to encompass atheists. Personally, I'm not so sure.
    Aum Namasivaya
    Well said EM. Although I would want to give the OP the benefit of doubt, he/she may be part of the new breed of neo-atheists who are very active on the web that would like to do the following:

(a)Ask religious folks for a rational verifiable proof of God's existence.
    (b)With none forthcoming, they then say, "Ha! We win! Why dont you believe in a Pink Unicorn, you deluded morons?"

[FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][SIZE="3"]Namaste

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Hello I’ve been thinking over the last few days, does God exist?

He is with me right now.

I know the bearded man on a cloud doesn’t,
    Why not ? God has infinite svarUp. The bearded man can well be Lord BrahmA but i would rather say AdvaitAchArya - MahaVishNu's avatAr in GaurLila. What ? Never mind i was muttering to myself.

but what about Brahman?
    Existence is Brahman
    Love is Brahman
    Being is Brahman
    Sarvam idam khalvidam Brahman - All this is Brahman
    Just so you know, Brahman smiles, dances, plays flute, gives blessings and hugs, is the funniest, humblest prankster who loves you dearly and all that He can possibly be. Try handing the reigns over to Him for a change. Or the steering wheel.

Sense at my current spiritual state I can’t experience Brahman how do I know It’s there?
    If the cool breeze blows, the moon shines out of the clouds, there are butterflies in the garden, and children playing in puddles after rain, Brahman is there.

What about personal gods like Ganesha?
    Oh, GajAnan GaNesh is adorable, He skims looking over the material world, giving blessings, wisdom, removing obstacles, and making people comfortable if they ask for it. However, if you are looking towards the eternal, there is more, and you are asked to get beyond that state in this world.

Why do you know or believe?
    I know that my GhanaShyAm Lord KrushNa loves me very much , as well as all living beings, the moon, sun and stars. I know that my heart is His home and my home is His abode.

I believe that His Lotus Feet are for me to serve.

I hope He/It/She does exist
    If you stay skeptical He will stay away from you. He does not want to be known unless we develop basic faith in Him - this is called shradhhaa. In fact, He will not like it if we speak about Him to one who does not think He exists or even agnostic.

Finally, He gives free will.

praNAm
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Thank you for the responses.

I can honestly say I'm not a Neo-Atheist looking for a reaction. I'm just trying to figure things out.

I get what you are saying that it is a personal thing and that you need to "feel" it yourself. I like that. Every logical argument for or agaist God will eventually be beaten by a better argument.

Probably time to start meditating.

Thank you again.

I view All Life as God! Each tree, each person, each animal is a manifestation of God, although I dislike using the word God! I prefer to use Source, or Divine Source. Sometimes we can become lost in the jungles of religious dogma and tradition, our sight fails to see what is right there before our eyes! I meditate, although not as often as I should! I read inspiring books and write poetry, and these help me to keep my focus! Occasionally I have my dark days and struggle with what I know to be true, but I hold on and always come out the bright side!

Blessings!

Lenny

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namast

One should go on looking, probing with interest and enthusiasm ( the wise call earnestness or one-pointedness) - this is sādhana.
    One comes to know the truth by one's self - some like to call svatāsiddha i.e. svā + ta + siddha = one's own + crossing or virtue + accomplished i.e. self-accomplished, then one knows for themselves what is and is not.

You will hear many ideas here on HDF on what is or is not. This will feed the intellect and help you decide. Yet personal and direct
    experience for such an important question should be considered, no?

If I talk to you about a banana, I can inform you of all its qualities - color, size, vitamins, all that. Yet you will not really know the banana till you take a bite. So, it seems to me, your inqarity into the Supreme may be bese serviced by being two-sided - knowledge and experience.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information