The HINDU DHARMA FORUMS for discussion of Sanatana Dharma, Hindu Religion and Indian Culture. [link to HDF home]  

Go Back   Hindu Dharma Forums > Sanatana Dharma > Jyotish
Join Us! Rules/FAQ Library Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jyotish Discuss Indian science of Astrology here.

How do I find my Ishta Devata?

Old 22 November 2010, 03:56 PM

WTyler is a distinguished hindu spiritWTyler is a distinguished hindu spiritWTyler is a distinguished hindu spiritWTyler is a distinguished hindu spiritWTyler is a distinguished hindu spiritWTyler is a distinguished hindu spiritWTyler is a distinguished hindu spiritWTyler is a distinguished hindu spiritWTyler is a distinguished hindu spiritWTyler is a distinguished hindu spiritWTyler is a distinguished hindu spirit
How do I find my Ishta Devata?

Hello,

I am new to the Dharma, and I was wondering on how to find my Ishta Devata in terms of Jyotish.

I was born September 11th 1988 at 1:30am

The coordinates being: 30 24′ 6″ N, 89 4′ 34″ W

Can anyone tell me about my astrology?

Blessings to all.
Old 22 November 2010, 08:10 PM
etad vai tat

yajvan has disabled reputation
Re: How do I find my Ishta Devata?

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast WTyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTyler
How do I choose?

you have read this, regarding iṣṭa-devatā, the ambassador of the formless that has form?

part 1
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=746

part 2

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=748

part 3

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=764

praṇām

शिवतुल्यो जायते॥
__śivatulyo jāyate
____yajvan___
_oṁ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ
Old 24 November 2010, 02:40 PM
etad vai tat

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast WTyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTyler View Post
Hello,

I am new to the Dharma, and I was wondering on how to find my Ishta Devata in terms of Jyotish.

I was born September 11th 1988 at 1:30am

The coordinates being: 30 24′ 6″ N, 89 4′ 34″ W

Can anyone tell me about my astrology?

Blessings to all.
Based upon the coordinates given you were born at the airport?
Which gate ? Are you certain of these coordinates?

Also - in Sept. 1988 was daylight savings time inforce? Is the birth time offered daylight savings time or standard time?

praṇām

शिवतुल्यो जायते॥
__śivatulyo jāyate
____yajvan___
_oṁ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ
Old 24 November 2010, 04:09 PM
bhaktar

Eastern Mind has disabled reputation

Vannakkam Yajvan et al:

Not that I'm all that intrigued, but I found my ishta devata without astrology. So I am wondering what would happen if I had an astrological consultation now and got it found out that way. Wondering if I would suddenly 'become' a Vaishnavite ot Shaktite.

Aum Namasivaya
Old 24 November 2010, 05:29 PM
etad vai tat

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast EM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
Vannakkam Yajvan et al:

Not that I'm all that intrigued, but I found my ishta devata without astrology. So I am wondering what would happen if I had an astrological consultation now and got it found out that way. Wondering if I would suddenly 'become' a Vaishnavite ot Shaktite.
Aum Namasivaya
Yes, many choose to find their iṣṭa-devatā by other means. This is fine. All roads lead to Rome. Using jyotish is another method.

praṇām

शिवतुल्यो जायते॥
__śivatulyo jāyate
____yajvan___
_oṁ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ
Old 25 November 2010, 01:31 AM
kahanam

kahanam is on the path of sanatana dharmakahanam is on the path of sanatana dharma
Question Re: How do I find my Ishta Devata?

Ishta Devata is found by your own free choice and will. All Devatas are manifestations of the Supreme One Almighty God. Why invoke astrology in this at all?
Old 25 November 2010, 06:24 AM
bhaktar

Eastern Mind has disabled reputation

Vannakkam Kahanam:

What you say may have be true for you and for me, but WTyler is new and exploring. If astrology is a guide, and the ancients say that it can be helpful, then I see no problem at all with the question. There is quite a bit of information out there in the subject so it must be used by somebody.

Do you feel the same way about arranged marriages? Free choice and will in selecting a wife with no astrological consultation?

But another thing WTyler should know is that the very concept of ishta and its various implications vary from sect to sect, with Smarta and Vaishnavite sects having the concept stronger. Perhaps Shaktism as well.

In my version of Saivism, I would say there is no real ishta for me. If I had to say, I guess it would have to be Siva, yet I spend more time worshipping both Ganesha and Murugan. Its certainly not something on the front of my mind.

Aum Namasivaya
Old 25 November 2010, 08:03 AM
here and now

sm78 is surely an avatara !sm78 is surely an avatara !sm78 is surely an avatara !sm78 is surely an avatara !sm78 is surely an avatara !sm78 is surely an avatara !sm78 is surely an avatara !sm78 is surely an avatara !sm78 is surely an avatara !sm78 is surely an avatara !sm78 is surely an avatara !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post

But another thing WTyler should know is that the very concept of ishta and its various implications vary from sect to sect, with Smarta and Vaishnavite sects having the concept stronger. Perhaps Shaktism as well.

In my version of Saivism, I would say there is no real ishta for me. If I had to say, I guess it would have to be Siva, yet I spend more time worshipping both Ganesha and Murugan. Its certainly not something on the front of my mind.

Aum Namasivaya
I think its completely a smarta (more apt. puranic) concept. vaishnavas are definition worshippers of vishnu, saivas of shiva, shaktas of shakti - the exact form of the lord or goddess depended on the sampradaya practices, level of initiation, geography etc.
Old 25 November 2010, 08:17 AM
etad vai tat

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahanam View Post
Why invoke astrology in this at all?
A fair question. Let me answer this way:
Because we are in the jyotish folder and this is where this knowledge is discussed, and people have asked.
This method is called out by various muni's as plausible i.e. we did not make this up.

This vimarśa¹ comes to us via mahārishi parāśar , a ṛṣi of the ṛg ved and the author of of the brihat-parāśara-horā-śāstra.
He also was the father of veda vyāsa¹.

Now this knowledge advanced substantially by jaimini muni, a student of vyāsa-ji's. He wrote the upadeśa sūtra-s that supliments
the brihat-parāśara-horā-śāstra of his teacher's father.

This upadeśa has a few meanings, that is why I am offering it here and extending the conversation just a bit.
Upadeśa is defined as instruction , teaching , information , advice , prescription. Hence jaimini muni's work is a informative
teaching and adjunct to the brihat-parāśara-horā-śāstra.

As you would expect with great seers, there is a deeper meaning to this word:

upadeśa u = a name of śiva, + pada = is foot or standing point + śa = śam = to put to an end, to destroy; it also means to
'be quiet or calm'. Others say the u expressed here is for the middle term of auand therefore represents viṣṇu, and I am fine with that too.

Hence jaimini muni is saying this work is offered to the feet of śiva, ( or viṣṇu) to put an end to (ignorance) and to quiet and calm
the intellect. To bring knowledge.

praṇām

words
  • vimarśa विमर्श- knowledge , intelligence
  • veda vyāsa is kṛṣṇa dvaipāyana also known as vādarāyaa or bādarāyaa

शिवतुल्यो जायते॥
__śivatulyo jāyate
____yajvan___
_oṁ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ

Last edited by yajvan : 25 November 2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 26 November 2010, 02:12 PM
Tena tyaktena bhunjitha

sunyata07 has disabled reputation

Namaste,

While I don't doubt there are valid reasons behind people's consulting traditional Vedic astrologers for help with connecting to the Devas, I'm not entirely sure I believe it can be as simple as "looking up" one's ishta-devata on a horoscopic chart. If the person in question feels some universal neutrality to all the Devas, neither preferring to worship one over the other, then I guess this type of consultation would definitely have its uses. In such cases it might act as a guide or an indicator of where to begin developing sincere bhakti. Personally, I prefer intuition to intellect in such matters.

Quote:
I'm the same. I would say my ishta is Shakti - namely, Maa Durga - but I often find myself performing more pujas, and reciting more formal prayers to Ganesha and Shiva. And yet, like yourself EM, I don't spend time worrying over why this is so as much as I used to. Nor do I even bother with sectarian divisions anymore.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu