Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heart rate

Re: Heart rate

Quote Originally Posted by NayaSurya View Post
    Hello, I have a question about meditation and heart rate.

I have SVT -Super Vent. Tachycardia and also MVP-Mitrial valve prolapse. One condition is a rapid heart rate, the second is that a valve is not closing completely.

The problem is, that when I meditate...every single time infact...my heart rate shoots through the roof and I get very ill. My ears ring...heart hurts so badly I have to stop.

Even laying down for an hour prior to trying, I still have this happen.

Can anyone here share a similar problem, and if so, how to get around this?
    Namaste Surya

This can happen independent of heart condition but a doctor will know. Kumbhaka (retention of breath) is not tolerated well if it is not attained smoothly. I do not know whether you do anuloma-viloma or not? In case, your condition is not due to heart problem, then a course of anuloma-viloma before meditation may help. Or some do only anuloma-viloma.

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

dear Naya Surya,
    You will find the following interesting, This has been quoted from "Hatha-yoga Its context, Theory and practice' by Mikel Bulley, Motilal Banarsidass publication (page 230):-

".....In addition to numerous studies of people who have practised in limited capacity for a relatively short period of time, there also exist some data collected from experienced practitioners. In 1957, for example, psychologists Bagchi and Wenger used eight channel EEG plus other instruments to record body parameters. Of particular interest here are their findings that, although the breathing rate of yogins slowed down during meditation, their heart rates, lower finger temperature, palmar conductance and blood pressure increased considerably, suggesting, as Michael Murphy has commented, that for these yogins meditation was an active rather than a passive process.
    In a study of seven Indian Yogins, NN das and H gastaut found too, that during intense meditation the heart rates of their subjects accelerated, while breathing and general muscle tone relaxed. Brain wave activity was shown to increase in proportion to the heart rate, and then to slow down following samadhi.At some points the brain waves reached 40-50Hz, which is far in excess of the normal beta rate around 20Hz exhibited in an average waking person.

rk

dear nayasurya,

about 2 years back i also got worried when i noticed that my i heart rate used get considerably increased after my share of yoga, till i read this book (quoted in above post), i found in other materials on yoga practices latter that its normal for heart beats to increase.
    As a matter of fact after my session of pranayam usually my breathing stops for about minute and a half when i just don't feel like breathing at all'. this also led me to worry that there is something wrong with my practice because during kumbhak with deliberate stoppage of breath i could not hold the breath for more than about 35 seconds. then i learnt about kevala kumbhak'
    relax, you are quite in advanced stage of meditation.

rk

Thank you for your very useful information, it is good to know I am not the only one having this. I hesitated going to my physician with meditation concerns:P You have been very kind<3

Thread Information