15 June 2007, 02:56 PM
etad vai tat
Join Date: September 2006
More on Ga·na·pati
Om saumyaya Namah, (salutations to the peaceful one)
To the surprise of Siva he stood transfixed as he watched Ganesa being fashioned out of a mixture of Parvati's sweat and bath water. He (Siva) exclaimed to Her, " A son has been born to you without [vina] a husband [nayakena], He therefore will be named Vinayaka. He will create thousands of obsticles for the gods and everyone else… Vamana Purana
How does one see Ganesha murti ( the image, statue)? He as Gaga-mukta or Elephant-faced one. By His names, they imbibe the vibration of his qualities. Ganesha's bija sound is Gam, his seed mantra Gam; In Jyotish he is seen as Ketu. Mokshakara of Liberation, or Kevala.
Hence Ketu+ Ganesha has much to do with the moksha houses (bhava) of the 4th, 8th and 12th houses. We know that Ganesa had his head cut off, as did Ketu…interesting connection.
A few of Ganapati's names with roots for your consideration:
- Vakratundha: vakra = curved, bent or twisted.+ tunda = trunk, snout , hense one with the twisted trunk
- Ekadantam: eka= one or single +danta tusk or tooth, hense one with a single tusk
- Krsnapingaksam: krsna = dark blue to dark gray/black + pinga or reddish-brown + aksa =eye and = aksa 'a or not' + 'ksi or destroy', so the imperishable, indestructible. Hense the with the dark brown eyes , the imperishable.
- Lambodaram: Lamba = large, gratm spacious , some even say hanging down + dara or cave, cavity, hense The potbellied one
- Vighnarajam: vighna = obstacle + raja or King ..note 'ja' or birth too. So we have king of and birth of obstacles
- Vighnesvara: vighna = obstacle + isvara or Lord, hense the Lord of obsticles.
- Vighnaharta: vighna = obstacle + harta or the remover. Hense the remover of obsticles
- Dhumravarnam: Dhumra = smoke colored, grayish + varna or color. Hense the smoke colored or gray one
- Gajananam : garj = to sound or roar (gao also = sound) + ja = to be born + nada = sound ; Ga is also known as goal + ja or origin for Gaja. And gaja+anana = the one with the elephants face; yet is also the one born (ja) from sound (nada).
- Vinayaka: vi= apart + naya or regulating: One who is leader or guide also ni as in nayati to lead or take away, drive away , and we get Vinayaka as the The leader that takes away , hense the remover of obsticles.
- Vinayaka (2) : vi ( as in vayu or air) + nayaka = the Lord of air, hense the Lord of breath, prana or life. If that, then he is Lord of pranayam, and regulation thereof; He can be seen as the lord of yoga.
- Vinayaka(3) - the wisdom of Yajnavlakya sees it this way: 'one who is appointed (viniyukta) as the head of a diverse (vi=vividha) group
- Ganapati : gana = group, multitudes + pati or lord. Lord of the multitudes
- Ganapati(2) ga= wisdom + na = liberation,mosha + pati or lord. The Lord of Wisdom. Ture wisdom in found in Moksha.
- Ganesa: gana = group, multitudes + isa or Lord. Same as Ganapati.
_oṁ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ
Last edited by yajvan : 19 June 2007 at 06:13 PM.
Reason: spelling corrections....oooops!