Thread: Rama: yogi's revel in the bliss

Rama: yogi's revel in the bliss

Hari Om
    ~~~~~~
    This is requested from Ganeshprasad, in this post: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10936&postcount=8
    "So yes please lets hear more of this,Om Ram ramaya namaha"

Namaste Ganeshprasad,
    If I may let me talk of this Ram I am so fond of.

Lets consider this mantra first, then His name and the value hidden in His name. The suitability of of this mantra ( Akshara samudhya) meets the rules of a pra-siddha mantra, that is can be used by the sadhu, with guru's blessings or one w/o a guru.

Taraka mantra
    That is, the mantra which takes you across the ocean of samsara. The Sanskrit word taraka, denotes a star as it traverses in space and acts as a guiding light. A boat is called tari, as it allows one to cross over the waters. But what of the oceans of samsara? Samsara (sr= "to flow" + sam = "together") - what flows together? birth-after-birth. So, a Taraka-mantra is one that gets you out of the wheel of birth after birth - or brings you to enlightenment. One Mantra that we all know is Om ( also called Pranava) and is considered Taraka-mantra. Many posts are written on this, so I will hold off on any elaboration.

Om Ram ramaya namaha is a taraka mantra
    Rama - defined is from "Ram" " pleasing, to delight", yet it goes deeper. From the Padma-purana, it says " ramante yogino-nante brahmaanande chidaatmani " or ' The one in whose memory yogi's revel in the bliss of brahman'. It's the mantra that brings bliss. As bija, we know it as Ram or Rama. We know rishi Vasishta supplied this name to King Dasaratha for his son ( Sri Ram) . Rishi Vasishta knew it was taraka mantra or a vibration that takes one across the ocean of samsara. Some even say it is equivalent to the whole of Vishnu sahasra-nama.

Lets look a bit deeper to Rama and its components as nama-smarana (remembering the Lord's name). First take note that Om Ram ramaya namaha is an eight sylable mantra. From a jyotish point of view, the 8th house in one's birth chart is a moksha house e.g. stimulates Kaivalya within ones being. So is the 4th and the 12th. We have posted this before under Jyotish discussion. So the 4th, 8th and 12th are Moksha houses and this taraka mantra has 8 phonemes.

Now this Ra of Rama is also found in the eight-lettered mantra of Narayana, and in the famous 8 (astakshari) syllable mantra , Om Namo Narayanaya. This Ra, is also the bija (seed) sound of Agni. As Agni in the Rig Ved is identifed as Divine Will and favorable to the family of man. Some say this bija mantra sounds more like Rum or Rm as the seed syllable of Agni ( so thought to get that stated for those that are aware of this).

Lets look at the second part of Rama or ma. Both are the life-giving syllables, jiiva-aksharas, yet this ma is also found in multiple mantra's - a most notable one is Nama Shivaya. And we find ma, at the root of Mahah. We talked of this Maha in post http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10660&postcount=1 . Note then how this fits in Na-ma-ha, to Ram's overall Mantra.

The notion was about the vyahriti's, or sacred utterances, bhu+bhuvah+suvah , yet rishi Mahachamasya muni taught a 4th, of which is Mahah. This Vyahriti of Mahah covers, or includes all other vyahriti ( bhu+bhuvah+suvah ). It is said this Mahah is Brahman (Taittiriya Upanishad), the underlying principle (sub-stratum) of everything seen and unseen. It is nish-kalam Indivisible, yet the support for all parts. How profound is this vibration of Rama! We have the influnce of Narayan, Siva, the vyahtiti
    of Maha, or Brahman , all in this Rama.

Rama's name is auspicious , forward or back words. How so? The Great rishi Valmilki, at the time named Ratnakar, was fortunate to receive this mantra... yet he said, I cannot pronounce this Rama, please give me something different. So, the sages gave him the mantra Mara - note this is Rama backwards MA-RA. So, as the story goes, he gets absorbed in Samadhi, stays in one spot for a long time and ants build hill around him...being totally absorbed in bliss. When the sages return, they ask him to come out - He comes out fully enlightened (jivanmukti) and they give him his new name Valmilki from 'Valmika' meaning an ant-hill. Valmilki , the author of the Ramayana.

So, this name forward or backward is auspicious. A wonderful Mantra of Om Ram Ramaya Namaha - rooted in taraka mantras Om, Ram then Ram backwards MA and NA from Narayana . just a most exquisite Pra-siddha mantra.

pranams,
    Last edited by yajvan; 08 March 2007 at 02:25 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: Rama: yogi's revel in the bliss

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    Hari Om
    ~~~~~~

Om Ram ramaya namaha is a taraka mantra
    Rama - defined is from "Ram" " pleasing, to delight", yet it goes deeper. From the Padma-purana, it says " ramante yogino-nante brahmaanande chidaatmani " or ' The one in whose memory yogi's revel in the bliss of brahman'. It's the mantra that brings bliss. As bija, we know it as Ram or Rama. We know rishi Vasishta supplied this name to King Dasaratha for his son ( Sri Ram) . Rishi Vasishta knew it was taraka mantra or a vibration that takes one across the ocean of samsara. Some even say it is equivalent to the whole of Vishnu sahasra-nama.

Lets look a bit deeper to Rama and its components as nama-smarana (remembering the Lord's name). First take note that Om Ram ramaya namaha is an eight sylable mantra. From a jyotish point of view, the 8th house in one's birth chart is a moksha house e.g. stimulates Kaivalya within ones being. So is the 4th and the 12th. We have posted this before under Jyotish discussion. So the 4th, 8th and 12th are Moksha houses and this taraka mantra has 8 phonemes.

Now this Ra of Rama is also found in the eight-lettered mantra of Narayana, and in the famous 8 (astakshari) syllable mantra , Om Namo Narayanaya. This Ra, is also the bija (seed) sound of Agni. As Agni in the Rig Ved is identifed as Divine Will and favorable to the family of man. Some say this bija mantra sounds more like Rum or Rm as the seed syllable of Agni ( so thought to get that stated for those that are aware of this).

Lets look at the second part of Rama or ma. Both are the life-giving syllables, jiiva-aksharas, yet this ma is also found in multiple mantra's - a most notable one is Nama Shivaya. And we find ma, at the root of Mahah. We talked of this Maha in post http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10660&postcount=1 . Note then how this fits in Na-ma-ha, to Ram's overall Mantra.

The notion was about the vyahriti's, or sacred utterances, bhu+bhuvah+suvah , yet rishi Mahachamasya muni taught a 4th, of which is Mahah. This Vyahriti of Mahah covers, or includes all other vyahriti ( bhu+bhuvah+suvah ). It is said this Mahah is Brahman (Taittiriya Upanishad), the underlying principle (sub-stratum) of everything seen and unseen. It is nish-kalam Indivisible, yet the support for all parts. How profound is this vibration of Rama! We have the influnce of Narayan, Siva, the vyahtiti
    of Maha, or Brahman , all in this Rama.

Rama's name is auspicious , forward or back words. How so? The Great rishi Valmilki, at the time named Ratnakar, was fortunate to receive this mantra... yet he said, I cannot pronounce this Rama, please give me something different. So, the sages gave him the mantra Mara - note this is Rama backwards MA-RA. So, as the story goes, he gets absorbed in Samadhi, stays in one spot for a long time and ants build hill around him...being totally absorbed in bliss. When the sages return, they ask him to come out - He comes out fully enlightened (jivanmukti) and they give him his new name Valmilki from 'Valmika' meaning an ant-hill. Valmilki , the author of the Ramayana.

So, this name forward or backward is auspicious. A wonderful Mantra of Om Ram Ramaya Namaha - rooted in taraka mantras Om, Ram then Ram backwards MA and NA from Narayana . just a most exquisite Pra-siddha mantra.

pranams,
    Pranam yajvan

Thank you for the nectar

I must admit I had not been privilege to the mantra as introduced by you
    Om Ram Ramaya Namaha

For me the simple Ram had been enough
    Sri ram jaya ram jaya jaya ram, the sound vibration is the common chants in the temples.

Name it self invokes pleasures who ever chants it.

It brings to mind the noble king who adheres to Dharma, the perfect son, brother and a husband.

Even today the society yearns for the virtues established by the Lord.

Tulsidas says Ram when around liberated all the ayodhiya wasi yet the name Rama liberates anyone who chants this two-akshar name.

So please if you can give us more on the glories of the name Ram.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    Hari Om

pranams,
    Namaste,
    The name is auspicious. My primal instinct in studing the name, I made the assumption that when twisted upside-down and backwards Ram was actually "War" with a bow & arrow on his back thus defining a "God." Understanding that Mars is said to be the commander-in-chief of the assembly of the nine planets. It is also personified as the god of war. Is a warrior by nature - bile-dominated in temperament. He rules over courage, bravery, patience, self-confidence and leadership abilities.
    Mars makes its natives short-tempered; argumentative; lovers of weapons, commanders, generals, soldiers and policemen. It also gives them great technical and mechanical abilities.
    Mars is fond of law and order and arrangement. It gives energy, drive, determination, a strong sense of purpose, great administrative ability and independent spirit.

Masti Nam,
    Zardozi

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardozi View Post
    Namaste,
    The name is auspicious. My primal instinct in studing the name, I made the assumption that when twisted upside-down and backwards Ram was actually "War" with a bow & arrow on his back thus defining a "God." Understanding that Mars is said to be the commander-in-chief of the assembly of the nine planets. Zardozi
    Namaste Aardozi,
    A very interesting observation... A few ideas if I may contribute to your thoughts. Mars ( Mangala) is considered Skanda, commander-in-chief. He is also considered Sanatkumara, which we have discussed a few times on a few posts. Mar's is also considered Hanumanji, the servent and bhakti of Sri Ram. Sri Ram is of the Sun ( Surya) and the Solar dynasty as they say.

Perhaps the 'war' part is His bow and arrow used to subdue Ravana perhaps? Ravana or Dasagriva, the one with 10 heads; Also we can consider it as Dasaratha or made of 10 indriya's ( or 10 sense organs); This is Sri Ram's slayings. Above all , Sri Ram was Dharma incarnate.

Now some say this Rama is Ra or atma + ma or mind. Merging 'mind' with Atman. and if we read the Ra-ma-ayana, we now have the mind (ma) journey (ayana) to the Atman (Ra). And we know this as one of the ithihasa (iti +ha+ asa or as it was, or so it was i.e. history , thus spoken). A favorite book of mine is Adhyatma Ramayana, or the spiritual Ramayana. A book that I like is by Swami Tapasyananda.

pranams,
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Pranam yajvan ji

I notice with interest your fascination with numbers and its significance.
    Since Ram navmi is upon us very soon (27th) I believe, perhaps you can enlighten us the significant of the appearance of Lord Ram on navmi, the mid day (as against mid night of Krishna) and the month.

According to Tulsidas all the planets were favorable at the time of his appearance.

Jai Shree Ram
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    Pranam yajvan ji

According to Tulsidas all the planets were favorable at the time of his appearance. Jai Shree Ram
    Namaste Ganeshprasad,

Thank you for the question. Any time one teaches Jyotish from the tradition, they always referred to Sri Ramachandra's janma kundali ( birth chart). It is supurb. Sri Ram has Surya exalted, Brihaspati ( also called Guru or Jupiter) exalted, the Moon ( chandra) in his ,some say her, own house; Sani ( Saturn) is exalted, Ketu (a moksakaraka) is in a moksha house ( the 12th from the Lagna or ascendent), Mars is exalted ( we know Mars as Mangala, also as Skanda and Sanatkumara), Venus exalted in pisces. The indications clearly point to a King, as Surya the natural Atmakaraka. And Surya in the 10th, and exalted, the Dharma house, let alone indicating world power, good deeds that benefit society and eminent people. ( It's my reading that Ram's reign/benefits as king lasted for 10,000 years).
    Even Rahu bows to Sri Ram, being postioned in the 6th from the ascendent ( lagna). A malific in the 6th is favorable.

Each graha tells the story of Sri Ram's excellence, yet He still was exiled to the forest under his own volition. There is a secret of some paramapara ( traditions) that teach this lesson and it is all about a special dasa period (and not that of Sade Sadhi as some think).

Think of His birth at mid day ....that is when the sun is highest in the sky, and that is the 10th house. This is the indication of Surya as prime and that of Dharma. We know of Sri Ram as the perfect man, this is predicated on perfect dharma and indicated by Surya exalted in thr 10th house ( 10 degrees of Aries).

There are multiple yoga's ( unions) and raja-yoga's in Sri Ram's chart. One worth noting is Hari-yoga. That is, benefics in the 2nd and 12 houses from the lord of the 2nd house. That is Surya, again exalted, with Mercury ( Buddha) and Venus ( Sukla) in the 2nd and 12th repectively. Same with another called Hara-yoga. So, we have yoga's of both Visnu( Hari) and of Siva ( Hara) In Sri Ram's chart.
    I will stop here, as the conversation on Sri Ram's chart is a compendium of Jyotish Teachings.

Now for the advanced Jyotish thinker in HDF, perhaps they can point to Tulasi ? and a discussion on this as Tu or Tat ( That, Ram as Brahmn) La as Laksmana, and Si as Sita? If not astrologically, pehaps a discussion on this Tulsi, some write Tulasi and its relevance to Sri Ram?

Jai Sri Ram

pranams,
    Last edited by yajvan; 11 March 2007 at 12:05 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Thread Information