Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mangalsutra

Re: Mangalsutra

Namaste,

I think this thread has lost its direction. Poor Maggie may never have imagined how mush dust she was going to raise by asking this simple question.

I am tempted to conclude my opinion before saying a goodbye to this thread :

a) Mangalsutra is a scared thread which is offered by Hindu bridegroom to her bride. Mangalsutra = Thread which is auspicious. Wearing this scared thread, wife wishes good and long life for her husband and wishes that God would grant the couple a happy conjugal life. This faith can do wonders for those who have faith in it.

b) A thread with black beads purchased by a Hindu wife and worn by herself is NOT a Mangalsutra. So, it doesn't matter what one does with it.

c) Seeing divinity in our near and dear ones is part of Hindu culture. Wife sees God in her husband. Husband sees Goddess Laxmi in her wife. Parents see goddess in their daughter/daughter-in-law. If someone doesn't want to see this way, he/she may call himself/herself as a Hindu but it is not as per our culture/dharma.

d) Mangalsutra is not worn by all Hindus but only by women from Southern part of India though this is catching up with Hindu women from North also. In North, wives apply Sindur (Vermilion) on their head on hair-parting line. So, it is not compulsory that all Hindu women wear it. However, Hindus don't criticise any Hindu custom prevalent in other regions even if they don't follow that. So, Renuka's making light of this custom is not a Hindu way of looking at things.

e) Sati system was never a Vedic system but came into our religion when there were attacks from outsider invaders (mostly Muslims) and rapes of Hindu women became common by people who were in power. I very strongly criticise this system. This was one of the biggest blot on our Hindu culture. Rig Veda advises a widowed woman to shed attachment to her dead husband and start a new life and even encourages her to remarry.

I have heard this question often from some Hindu women, "Why only women and not the men ?". I don't have answer to this question. But why not ask this question : Why Hindus are married for life and why divorces are so uncommon in Hindu society ? Why do we take care of our elders so well in our society and respect (even worship) them ? Why in our Hindu culture, we are taught that we are not married to the bodies but with "self" of the other person and that we will get married again and again for next seven lives ? It may all appear to be ridiculous and may also sometimes be misused .... so we have to be careful. If any custom is truly harmful, let's drop it by taking a conscious decision. Let's not do it just for the heck of it. You are out to destroy something ... but think before you do it ... what new good thing you are bringing in, in lieu ?

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste ji,

My answers in blue.

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    So, Renuka's making light of this custom is not a Hindu way of looking at things.

Just how is the Hindu way of looking at anything? Is it the Baa Baa Black Sheep Syndrome? and just bleat Yes Sir Yes Sir 3 bags full?
    Hinduism is the only religion that allows a Q and A for a deeper understanding with no risk of being beheaded.
    So for all practical purposes..my opinion is still valid even if you beg to differ.

In fact its Un Hindu to force anything on anyone.

I have heard this question often from some Hindu women, "Why only women and not the men ?". I don't have answer to this question. But why not ask this question : Why Hindus are married for life and why divorces are so uncommon in Hindu society ? Why do we take care of our elders so well in our society and respect (even worship) them ? Why in our Hindu culture, we are taught that we are not married to the bodies but with "self" of the other person and that we will get married again and again for next seven lives ? It may all appear to be ridiculous and may also sometimes be misused .... so we have to be careful. If any custom is truly harmful, let's drop it by taking a conscious decision. Let's not do it just for the heck of it. You are out to destroy something ... but think before you do it ... what new good thing you are bringing in, in lieu ?

Dear Sir..a marriage is technically a social contract between a man and a woman.
    Divorce rates are relatively low not because the bond is stronger but because of the social stigma that comes with divorce.
    So many remain unhappily married so that they wont be stigmatized..if we take a vote across all married Indians for a sincere feeling about being married..the results could be surprising.

Being married to the same person for 7 lives is not entirely true nor proven.
    There was a story of a King(If I remember correctly..I think it was King Janaka) who asked a sage about his previous life and the sage told him that he should not know it but the King insisted and then the sage told him that in a previous life his current wife was his mother.

The King was shocked! So you see we have no idea who could have been our spouse in any birth cos the soul has no relationship with anyone ..all relationships are only at the bodily level.

I have even read in some religious text that the last thought during death can determine our next birth to a certain extent..for example a mother who dies during childbirth can have an extreme desire to wish to look after her new born son and be born again to be his wife and look after him..even though she had maternal instincts during time of death but the desire was to look after her son but as a mother its not possible anymore because she is dead and only as a wife the desire to look after him is fulfilled..hence she takes birth as his wife..so its desire that shapes even our births.

OM

Namaste Renuka,

Just how is the Hindu way of looking at anything? Is it the Baa Baa Black Sheep Syndrome? and just bleat Yes Sir Yes Sir 3 bags full?
    If this is the way you discuss, please don't reply to my posts. I will not reply to posts in future.

Best wishes !

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste Renuka,

If this is the way you discuss, please don't reply to my posts. I will not reply to posts in future.

Best wishes !

OM
    Pranams,

Dear Sir,

What is wrong with what I wrote?

Baa Baa Black sheep syndrome means that one agrees to everything like a sheep without utilizing grey matter and you are quoting me entirely out of context..you only quoted part of my post..the full post is this..where I said the Hindu style is not to merely be a sheep but to allow Q and A and various opinions..so for all practical purposes my views are not un Hindu as you choose to portray.

This is what I actually wrote..

Hinduism is the only religion that allows a Q and A for a deeper understanding with no risk of being beheaded.
    So for all practical purposes..my opinion is still valid even if you beg to differ.

In fact its Un Hindu to force anything on anyone.
    In fact by you quoting only part of my post you are creating an impression that I am saying Hindus are like sheeps..this is NOT what I said..read again.

I wonder why what I wrote its viewed as offensive.

In a forum where one is open to use word like False Views..Distorting the Truth..Anti Hindu..and then have names mentioned in a post where you wrote Renuka's view of the Mangalsutra is not the Hinduway..then you had also mentioned that I am attacking the custom in some other thread..even then I never viewed any of these are offensive and just a harmless Baa Baa Black Sheep made you feel its offensive.

Strange.

Anyway I guess I will not respond anymore too.

God Bless You.

Quote Originally Posted by Drvotee
    e) Sati system was never a Vedic system but came into our religion when there were attacks from outsider invaders (mostly Muslims)
    PranAm Devotee ji , as per my knowledge Kunti and Rukmini were existed before Muslim invasion. They entered into fire. All Purana mentions sati as Vaidik tradition. Sati is included in duties of widow woman.

I accept that's your personal view. However I posted this post just to make others know what's the view of Purana.

There's no need to repeat what anti-hindus talk about Sati. Women themselves used to go into fire and this is the truth.

I always praise Sati system ! Such intense devotion it's beyond my understanding. Our ancestors were so wise ! Feeling so proud !
    Last edited by hinduism♥krishna; 21 July 2014 at 07:53 AM.

Thread Information