Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lord Shiva in Buddhism

Re: Lord Shiva in Buddhism

Quote Originally Posted by Crane-Foot King View Post
    No, not all. In some myths, Vajrapani kills Maheshvara who is reborn and becomes the Soundless Lord of Ahes Buddha, but I tend to view that as a sectarian myth.
    The story is have meaning, not just a simple like Vajrapani killing some deities.

I find one about Trailokavijaya , in some Sutra, Trailokavijaya subjugated Uma and Shiva. But Buddhist also believe that Trailokavijaya is Shiva Himself. Just like Goddess Kali who stand on Shiva. etc

Then in Sutra about 12 Devas we find about Shiva is ancient Buddha.
    Also in one Sutra is say that Mahakala who praised by Sangha, is emanation of Vairocana, Shiva, Prthivi etc.

But offcourse one scripture have many explanation according to different peoples. This is also happened in Hindu, and even all of religions.

I think this similarity is the characteristic of India philosophy
    Maybe the scripture talk about the war of Deities, but actually that is the way from the Deities to teach us about mind.

But when peoples with asuric or rakshsha quality read the scripture, they will hate each other and interpret the scripture as a reason to hate.

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Namaste.

How I see this, is that if there's one constant in this universe, that constant is time.

Each religion embodies this aspect in one form or another.

In Buddhism and Hinduism, that constant is represented by MahaKala.

MahaKala is translated as 'The Great Black' and goes to show how the 'blackness' of the universe and that which is the substratum of all (physicists call this 'Dark Matter') is Maha Kala's ethereal form.

Lord Shiva is also called 'Digambaram' or 'sky-clad'. He is naked and black, just like MahaKala.

If we compare MahaKala and Kala Bhairava, there's absolutely no difference at all...they are one and the same.

I do not know if Lord Shiva was incorporated into Buddhism in the same way as Lord Buddha was incorporated into Hinduism - to convert the masses and whatnot.

All I know is the Divine Image that oversees the Tandavam Dance of Lord Nataraja (praise be unto Him). The 'Grandfather Time' to which all must eventually fall...and rise up again.

I don't see it as supplanting...more than two separate philosophies that have converged at this one point...like a 'common ground'.

Aum Namah Shivaya

As an addendum to the above - I was still trying to work out how Time = Dark Matter for a long while.

I had my own theories about it by way of inverting that famous Einstein equation - I had ideas which I began to research...then I found this. It explains it all...how I conceive God to be (ignore the music). lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5BDWagywAo

Now, compare that back to MahaKala and Bhairava.

Also, there's an interesting observation to make here...

One of my 'addictions' in this life, is a trading card game called Yugioh!

Some cards have Indian/Sanskrit names, so I started researching them. I already knew 'Garuda The Wind Spirit', 'Dragunity Knight Vajrayana' and other things, but I was stuck on this one particular card....it was called 'Maha Vailo'.

I knew that 'Maha' meant 'Great'...but Vailo? What was a Vailo?

For a few weeks I wondered, then I put it out of my mind for years.

Then, a few months ago, I was dueling against a Buddhist scholar (I lost btw).

I don't know how the topic came up, but it did. He was quick to point out the various interchangeable letters and accents from Indian Sanskrit into Tibetan Sanskrit.

Thus, 'Vailo' became 'Bhairo'. A light immediately went off in my head...I understood it all now.

Vairochana = Bhairava.

It was all interconnected.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Necromancer; 27 July 2013 at 01:05 AM.

4. Re: Lord Shiva in Buddhism

Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    As an addendum to the above - I was still trying to work out how Time = Dark Matter for a long while.

I had my own theories about it by way of inverting that famous Einstein equation - I had ideas which I began to research...then I found this. It explains it all...how I conceive God to be (ignore the music). lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5BDWagywAo

Now, compare that back to MahaKala and Bhairava.

Also, there's an interesting observation to make here...

One of my 'addictions' in this life, is a trading card game called Yugioh!

Some cards have Indian/Sanskrit names, so I started researching them. I already knew 'Garuda The Wind Spirit', 'Dragunity Knight Vajrayana' and other things, but I was stuck on this one particular card....it was called 'Maha Vailo'.

I knew that 'Maha' meant 'Great'...but Vailo? What was a Vailo?

For a few weeks I wondered, then I put it out of my mind for years.

Then, a few months ago, I was dueling against a Buddhist scholar (I lost btw).

I don't know how the topic came up, but it did. He was quick to point out the various interchangeable letters and accents from Indian Sanskrit into Tibetan Sanskrit.

Thus, 'Vailo' became 'Bhairo'. A light immediately went off in my head...I understood it all now.

Vairochana = Bhairava.

It was all interconnected.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    I've held the view that Samantabhadra Buddha is Lord Shiva in another form. There's also Samantabhadra Bodhisattva and Vajrapani, who is a wrathful form of Samantabhadra.

Thread Information