Thread: Your opinion on Zen?

Your opinion on Zen?

Namaste all.

I was wondering if it was practical to compromise Zen Mindset with taking up any philosophy and belief in any school in Hinduism.

From what I understand, Zen only focuses more on separating concepts from "reality" seeing things as they are, unshrouding the ego and seeing through it rather than detaching from it.

I love the Hindu Dharma, and I also love the Zen Practice. Most zen practitioners I've come across dont believe in "God", or don't see the point in devoting one's self to a spiritual lifestyle(routinely), but rather, they would just sit all day and not question anything; as they don't see the point in speculating on the nature of reality.

Knowing Buddhism and Hinduism have different approaches, especially when it comes to Zen, how Can I comfortably integrate Zen into my beliefs within the Hindu Dharma? As I see Zen as Lifestyle that can improve a persons character,mindset and awareness but taking Zen in Fully I feel would clash with other beliefs, Like a Square Peg in a round hole scenario.

Advice is greatly appreciated, as I do want to practice Zen without having to abandon the Hindu Beliefs/Philosophys.

As a matter of fact, is there any practice that is similar to Zen that exists within Hinduism?

Thank you.
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice. ~Joseph Dunninger

Re: Your opinion on Zen?

Namaste!

Zen has deep affinities with Advaita Vedanta. There is a sense in which they can seem diametrically opposed (one focusing solely on the reality of the present moment, the other on the unified reality underlying all moments), but another in which they are in profound harmony. I have studied both and managed to integrate a Zen sensibility into my Vedantic sadhana. I encourage you to explore both in greater depth.

Re: Your opinion on Zen?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffery D. Long View Post
    Namaste!
    There is a sense in which they can seem diametrically opposed (one focusing solely on the reality of the present moment, the other on the unified reality underlying all moments), but another in which they are in profound harmony.
    Namaste,

YES! You hit the nail on the head right here which I had trouble expressing. I'm finding it very difficult to balance both out..

My personal preference is Vishidvaita philosophically speaking. I think since "buddhism" was originally an offshoot of Hinduism, It would be comfortable for my mind to absorb a school of thought within hinduism that would be similiar to Zen, Im sure there is, with how vast Hinduism is..

I am just trying to make it all easier for my mind to grasp. How can I devote myself to the Lord, when Zen finds such practices pointless?

I was on a Zen buddhist forum the other day, and I saw a Poster talking about a profound experience he had with his conciousness sensation on being one with everything as well as encompassing all perspectives.

A zen teacher responded to him to "Do Not cling to such delusions and fantasy's"

I was not satisfied with the obtuse way he responded to the poster obviously with the way he worded it and the format he provided he was trying to be "helpful" in his own way, it was like you said, it was more focus and emphasis on the reality of the present moment, and discarding "abstractions" of the mind.

From there this is where my inquiry comes into play, as it is difficult for me to conceive a way to be "zen" while still holding onto my beliefs and being true to the reality of my profound spiritual experiences.

Thank you for your response!
    Last edited by Spirit Seeker; 06 July 2013 at 11:03 PM.
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice. ~Joseph Dunninger

Thread Information