Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Feminism and Hinduism

Re: Feminism and Hinduism

Divine kala, the best way to find out more about this topic is by reading some puranic stories and some scriptures. You understand that there are women in india who regard their husbands very highly right? and also these women have been succesful in their lives and are happy about the way things are?
    Basically women represent prakriti and men purusha. While men can control their semen by practicing brahmacharya, women cannot do the same. That is why they have to resort to men for their own good. The laws of hindu dharma are governed by scriptures which was not written by any human, male or female.

And the feminist view is nothing but egoistic and narrow-mindedness. More aptly, ignorance.

The OP started with question of” place of feminism in sanatan dharma.and now where it is leading to ???

it has nothing to do with feminine aspect of god hood or looking feminine divinity in females.

does the modern feminism which started in western world ( question of equal rights like ---no subservient to husband or in laws, i will look after your parents as much you take care, i am earning as you,so why i will do household, meaningless words like husband is like god and to be respected.,thinking to be subservient to a male cause twitching in my body.....blah blah) is compatible and conducive to sanatan dharma ???

In my view of sanatan dharma, its not a religion,but a way of life,a culture well integrated into our gene even before birth so that whatever we do in life is directed only and only towards spirituality and self realization.should this way need to change to accommodate today”s feminism ?
    Women has been respected not equal,but higher than male by heart and spirit by all humans .who can say with God”s Sake that he/she loves father more that the mother. ??? and this replies all the fighting between superiority male and female. Womens are always loved,worshipped and accepted as divine for their Love,compassion,self-sacrifices,affection.

Its not because mother does more hard work for us,but the quality of love,affection,sacrifice is much more inside her which is required for our inner growth.but if she will do the reverse, she will not be loved anymore as she is getting. there lies her greatness. Everybody has own duty and own place.but to taking other"s place to be equal will ruin the society.

But by becoming equal to male in earning, muscle strength, disgraced freedom and disbanding their inherited quality will never earn them the love,respect they deserves and certainly not help them in Spiritual journey as it was intended by SD code of conduct for women.

so if we starts integrating the modern feminism, where we will lead from now ?

does the bondage of husband-wife regarded in SD as GURU-SISYA and Siva-parvati has any validity or we can start living as equal partnership based upon mutual respect and mutual duty with or without concept of unconditional love and sacrifice ?
    Last edited by anirvan; 18 April 2011 at 08:42 AM.
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

If it is female chauvinism and misandry, then it isn't compatible with hinduism at all.

There is also a belief in hindu culture that a wife should obey the wishes of her husband and that she should be chaste etc, and women are seen as mothers in hindu culture (as opposed to western culture where they are viewed as sexual icons or as the superior gender). Gender roles for women like marriage and motherhood are often frowned on and renounced by feminists. Although women being viewed as sex objects is frowned upon much more in feminism.

Namaste

Attraction and aversion are two sides of the same coin. Neither can bring spiritual elevation. So, first one has to distinguish : is it aversion to men ? Or is it Nivrutti that is making someone stay away from gruhastAshram ? This is one ashram which essentially runs on the wheels of pravrutti that take one towards nivrutti. If it is real nivrutti - possibly rare - then it cannot be classified as extreme chauvinistic feminism or misandry. Coercing someone like that into marriage just because shAstra says so can be detrimental to everyone involved - i would call that going backwards. The fuel of pravrutti so much needed to undertake the responsibility is either long gone or missing.

However, if it is aversion to men and serving men, then that is strong conditioning to be sorted out and overcome. However, just because it is conditioning to be overcome does not necessarily mean it would be wise to get married with that conditioning. Would it not be better instead to take to spirituality and overcome the anarthas ?

------------------

Shrimad BhAgvat Canto 7
    chapter 11
    - VarNAshram duties,
    chapter 12 - spiritual duties of each ashram

SB 7.11.25: To render service to the husband, to be always favorably disposed toward the husband, to be equally well disposed toward the husband's relatives and friends, and to follow the vows of the husband — these are the four principles to be followed by women described as chaste.

SB 7.11.28 says the chaste wife should serve the husband who is not fallen i.e. it says that the rule applies only if the husband is also chaste - or a pure VaishNav.

Of Course, one should not take that literally, but rather , try to help the husband stay away from mAyA. The import here, is that one should choose their spouse wisely in the first place, such that it is conducive to spiritual progress of both. This is what VaishNav acharyas call daivi varNAshram dharma.

So although it appears like Hinduism supports male dominance, true spiritual Hinduism is about striking the balance, offers respectful roles to both - as has been stated in posts above, and certainly discourages and fights against abuse. (I told you Govind the AdiPurush never leaves loopholes ).

Govindam AdiPurusham Tam aham bhajAmi ~
    Last edited by smaranam; 18 May 2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: increased font for SB verse
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Quote Originally Posted by mohanty View Post
    Your view is very Abrahamic.
    My views are my own and others as per what has been taught to me. Hardly have acquired any from Abrahamism to draw from.

Why dont you quote which Abrahamic sources you think I quoted?

Quote Originally Posted by mohanty View Post
    Yes, I have heard Vaishnavas and Shaivas compare their fathers to Vishnu and Shiva. Your assertion that they don't is simply wrong. People get compared to Rama and Krishna with great frequency.
    Nonsense. It appears to me that you on purpose want it to be that way.

The only time I've seen is when some couples compare their love to that of Krishna and Radha.

Worship is just a word.
    Yeah and you can say that God is also just a word in the same vein.

To you it means accepting subjugation and inferiority. To me it means acknowledgment of value.
    I'm not stopping you from living in your own world. So long as you don't dictate mine based upon yours, which you are doing.

Your view is very Abrahamic.
    Are you an Abrahamic follower yourself? Do you feel offended by complex theology present in Hinduism? Does that hurt your feelings?

I don't go around stopping other Hindus from being polytheists or pantheists if they want to.

So how can you say such a thing as "your religious inclinations are Abrahamic" ?

Tell me in which of your Abrahamic literature such an understanding is found

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar_Das View Post
    ~Worship means submission, helplessness and inferiority.

~Worshipping anything apart from God/or anything that relates to God(Guru) always will mean that you will lose something. Always you will lose intelligence and dignity.

~You will never be able to surpass anything that you (genuinely) worship even if you could.

Try to be more Hindu.
    Okay mleccha.

Thread Information