Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first temple visit... a little nervous!

first temple visit... a little nervous!

as a white woman planning to attend temple for the first time, i am very nervous.

first of all, i have no idea what to do once i walk in those doors and remove my shoes. is there a specific day or time that i should attend temple? i know for christianity you go to church on sunday, but is there an equivalent for hinduism or does one just attend when they'd like?

i know to wear a skirt that goes to the floor. do my arms also have to be covered, or is t-shirt length sleeves acceptable?

what do i do once i enter the temple? should i bring an offering?

it's very confusing to me and everything is very, very vague.

any help would be appreciated.

Re: first temple visit... a little nervous!

Is it an ISKCON temple? If it is, you shouldn't worry so much, they are very welcoming and you shouldn't mind asking your doubts.

Not that other Hindu temples aren't welcoming, but ISKCON focus is on propagation and bringing new people in.

What is the deity? Let us know so we can recommed an offering.

Usually my parents buy mango and coconut for the Jagannatha temple near here.

When you enter the temple room, just pay obeisances to the deity like this: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4117/...e49b4e3dee.jpg

Namaste Christine,

You may like to read this thread

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3656

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté christine,

Quote Originally Posted by christine View Post
    as a white woman planning to attend temple for the first time, i am very nervous.
    Let me offer a simple recommendation... just be simple, be innocent. A humble request to be ~guided~ will be fine. Leave the ego at the door.
    Just as you go to a friends house , one brings a simple gift. In this case perhaps some nice flowers, some fresh whole sweet fruit. This can be given for any puja that one will attend.

praām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Christine,

Don't be tensed. There is nothing to be nervous. When you are entering the temple just feel that you are entering your mothers house. Leave all the thoughts outside the temple. Inside the temple talk to the god just like you are talking to your mother and get his blessings.

Nice and fresh flowers will be the best offering that you can give god.

No need to be nervous.

MUST remove your shoes outside.

Please do not go drunk. Bad manners.

Dress is no problem. As colourful as you like, not too revealing please. Wear any jewellery you wish.

Don't worry about an offering. You can go empty handed if you wish. No deity is hungry for offerings.

Don't speak loudly enough to disturb others.

Do as others do.

Leave your ego at the portals.

Quote Originally Posted by christine View Post

first of all, i have no idea what to do once i walk in those doors and remove my shoes. is there a specific day or time that i should attend temple? i know for christianity you go to church on sunday, but is there an equivalent for hinduism or does one just attend when they'd like?

i know to wear a skirt that goes to the floor. do my arms also have to be covered, or is t-shirt length sleeves acceptable?

what do i do once i enter the temple? should i bring an offering?

it's very confusing to me and everything is very, very vague.

Vannakkam: Don't worry. Many have given great advice. For clothing, if you have any kind of an Indian community where you live, you might consider visiting a clothing shop, and getting a nice suit first. Examples here: http://www.salwar.com/ Any decent shopkeeper would gladly help you out, and it could be quite inexpensive. Don't go for a sari just yet though, as they're about 100 times harder to wear. The suit would eliminate any misgivings about attire.

Many temples also have guides, people who offer an introduction for people just like you. (I'm one for our temple here.) If not, you can just go and do as others do.

Best wishes with it. The Gods will be happy to see another shining soul!

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 21 April 2011 at 05:42 PM.

Thumbs Up Re: first temple visit... a little nervous!

In My City The Wont Allow Foreigners Inside The Temple ( Kanchi Kamachi Temple ) No Matter What You Wear I Dont Know Why !

Quote Originally Posted by hari4u2 View Post
    In My City The Wont Allow Foreigners Inside The Temple ( Kanchi Kamachi Temple ) No Matter What You Wear I Dont Know Why !
    Terribly sad to know that, we all shall collectively campaign and make it possible for atleast all hindus, meaning born and converted, to be allowed entry to offer prayers. It is doable in near future. We call it racism in America, hopefully hindus, local govt., and the temple administration will come to a consensus on this proposal and remove that obstacle..
    Last edited by charitra; 29 April 2011 at 01:58 PM.

Hello Hari, welcome to the forums, regarding this conundrum of "foreign/westerners not allowed", Believer discussed this matter some time ago:

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    My ramblings on a lazy Sunday morning.....

Many Western Hindus are more Hindu in their practices than the average Hindu in India. And many others latch on to some aspect of it by doing yoga or joining an asharam or taking up a guru who does not require them to forgo their current belief system. For the later kind, the deviation from their faith is only to improve their physical fitness or buying some peace of mind. The Indian temple priests have no way of differentiating between the two types. They are just trying to protect their sacred temples from becoming tourist attractions. I can understand that it would be frustrating and insulting for a 'real' Western devotee to be denied entry into a temple in India. But forcing your entry into one by claiming that 'Vedas are for everyone' is, in my judgement, not the answer. If one temple is not welcoming, move on to the next one. As in 'real life', we work around the problems we face. I cannot go around in my everyday life in the US, constantly beating the 'all men are created equal' drum, to get what I want. I work around the real and perceived problems to get as much as I can of what I want and be happy with that. Heck Hindus, who have been labeled by Islam and 'the Osama' as their sworn enemies, are not totally immune from suspicion. Even the female Indian ambassador had to go through the touchy-feeley groping by the TSA men, in full view of all. Why do people get so upset when they are merely denied entry into a temple. If your aim is to worship the Lord, why does it have to be in a specific temple? Just work around the issue instead of making a big 'stink' about it.

One incident that comes to mind is the ISKCON founder trying to visit the Jagannath temple in Puri in the company of his Western followers. The Western followers were denied entry and everyone was offended. After his disappearance,
    many of the 'converted' followers left ISKCON and went back to their original faith, proving that not every devotee who came with Prabhupad was sincere in his devotion to Vaishvanism. Another example is that after she married a 'parsi', Indira Gandhi was not allowed into that temple. In my earlier post about this story, one of the forum members objected claiming that even after marrying a 'parsi', she was still a Hindu and should have been allowed in. Cultural differences put people at a disadvantage in understanding things. In India, a woman follows the religion of her husband. By marrying a 'parsi', she ceased to be a Hindu. Her son in turn got himself an Italian Catholic bride, whose children follow Roman Catholicism. Hindu values had no consideration, no respect, no significance to these 'mallechas'. So why should they be allowed to visit the Jagannath temple - one of the most sacred Hindu temples? If the temple priests err on the side of caution, it is for a reason, not out of whim.

In the final analysis, all shades of Hindus have to come together and resolve the differences and issues facing them as a family. I know that being sidelined because of one's color is not the right thing to do,
    and I wish something could be worked out to be inclusive and to let the Western devotees have a darshan of His Lordship in every Indian temple. But the age old traditions would require some cataclysmic events to make them change. Until that happens, it is, what it is. No need to get mad. If the focus is on spiritual advancement; then not being able to visit a temple is just a pebble on the road, to be sidestepped in the course of your journey. If the pebble becomes 'THE' problem, then the journey itself is flawed!

Thread Information