Thread: What is Lakini?

What is Lakini?

Namaste

I was reading about the Chakra's and there was ''Lakini'' mentioned several times; but I have no idea what it is. Upon searching I couldn't find anything. Would like some clarification, thanks.

Re: What is Lakini?

Namaste,

I did a little searching, and it appears that it is referring to Lakini Shakti, the name of a goddess who rules one of the chakras. If you look up Lakini Shakti instead of just Lakini you will find more information.

Hope that helps!
    Om Namah Shivaya

Namaste,

I came across similar words in many shlokas,Lakini,Dakini,Shakini etc. mostly in a negative sense.But in Sri Lalita Sahasranama too there are names such as Lakinyamba swarupini.

Om lakinyamba-svarupinyai namaha
    I bow down to Devi who is in the form of Mother Lakini.

Can learned members tell us about Lakini et al.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Quote Originally Posted by IcyCosmic View Post
    Namaste

I was reading about the Chakra's and there was ''Lakini'' mentioned several times; but I have no idea what it is. Upon searching I couldn't find anything. Would like some clarification, thanks.
    Namaste,

These terms only work within the framework of Tantra. Just like other Hindu traditions and sects, this one also has its own language and terminology, largely independent of other traditions (but still, like others, making efforts to cover all of the landscape in its own way).

Tantra has its own style, does away with many "niceties". Addresses to deities such as "dakini", "lakini", "sakini", etc, sound no more than addressing them as A, B, C etc.

Still, some studies can be done on the correspondences of these Dieties with the deities considered in the other traditions.

On the other hand, we cannot rely on references to such terms in texts outside to the Tantric realm, since as we know Tantra has not been considered a reputable tradition by a majority.
    Things to remember:

1. Life = yajña
    2. Depth of Āstika knowledge is directly proportional
    to the richness of Sanskrit it is written in
    3. Āstika = Bhārata ("east") / Ārya ("west")
    4. Varṇa = tripartite division of Vedic polity
    5. r = c. x²
    where,
    r = realisation
    constant c = intelligence
    variable x = bhakti

Namaste!

In the Tantras, Lakini is the Shakti that rules Manipura Chakra.

She is called the benefactress of all.

"
    She is four-armed, of radiant body, is dark [shyaama] of complexion, clothed in yellow raiment and decked with various ornaments, and exalted with the drinking of ambrosia [i.e. She drinks the nectar dripping down from the Sahasraara, and is exalted by the Divine Energy that infuses Her]".

(From the book "Serpent Power" by Arthur Avalon).

In one of her four hands she holds the thunderbolt, or vajra. In her second hand, she holds the arrow that is shot from the bow of Kama, the Lord of Sex, in the second chakra.Her third hand holds fire. With the fourth hand Lakini Shakti forms the mudra (hand gesture) of granting boons and dispelling fear.

(From tantra-kundalini.com).

Thread Information