Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garlic and onions

Re: Garlic and onions

Namaste all:

Atanu, I was really just giving an example about false logic, in an argument. Grames said "Homeopathic medicine comes to the same conclusion..." when in fact it doesn't, as shown by my quick bit of research. In fact, there is debate about it. The folks involved in the research have not conclusively decided one way or another. Statements made as if they were fact is a form of false logic, as is quoting 'experts' in a field, or quoting scripture (on such mundane topics).

I remember the conversation I had when I was 14 or less when I learned this. This is just an example, not really about any specific topic.

Cousin: Communism is bad.
    Me: What do you know about communism?
    Cousin: It's bad.
    Me: Do you know the name of a communist leader that I can look up in an encyclopedia?
    Cousin: No, but I know that its bad.
    Me: What do they believe in that makes them so bad?
    Cousin: I don't know. Just leave me alone, okay. Go be a communist if you want to.

This was about 1966, when the cold war was on, and my cousin had been indoctrinated by US propoganda against Russia.

So that was my point. Read between the lines. Get lots of research. Then decide for yourself. Or use your gut, intuition, superconscious mind.

There is one thing I do know about garlic, and that is that it gets metabolised very quickly. It's from an experiment I used to do in school. If you rub a lot of garlic on someone's feet, they will have garlic breath within the hour.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Namaste all:

----This was about 1966, when the cold war was on, and my cousin had been indoctrinated by US propoganda against Russia.

So that was my point. Read between the lines. Get lots of research. Then decide for yourself. Or use your gut, intuition, superconscious mind.

There is one thing I do know about garlic, and that is that it gets metabolised very quickly. It's from an experiment I used to do in school. If you rub a lot of garlic on someone's feet, they will have garlic breath within the hour.

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste EM,

I agree. Actually in Homeopathy, Garlic and Onion are used as medicine. Allium Cepa is a very potent medicine for sneezing and itching type of cold. It is not correct to conclude that Homeopathy does abhor or ban Garlic etc. In fact, Aurveda also does not do so. In Aurveda, Lahsun Vati is a medicine for flatulence and joint pains.

Homeopathy recommends abstinence from Garlic and Onion, while on a treatment, because of the same reason as you have mentioned -- quick metabolism and also over-powering of all other subtle fragrance.

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

I am not sure about the good and bad qualities of garlic and onions... but have seen a lot of south Indian Brahmins who avoid these in their diet.

SO i got curious and asked an elder uncle of one of my Brahmin friend and he told me a tale or a reason for it.....

Once there was a king named Trisanku, ruler of Ayodhya (where later, Rama divined). He had a desire to reach Heaven with his mortal body. A way to remain immortal, as he perceived. He expressed his wish to his rAja gurU Sage Vasihsta, who promptly refused to fulfill his wish as humans are mortals and that is how they should remain. Now, there is an ongoing tussle between Sage Viswamitra and Sage Vasishta as on an earlier occasion Sage Vasishta has derided Sage Viswamitra by refusing to exalt him to the position of a Brahma Rishi – the highest honor for sages, where you communicate with the Supreme Being directly. So, Viswamitra told Trisanku he would fulfill his wish and send him to Heaven with his mortal body. After an ensuing yagna, Trisanku, to the amazement of all, was lifted up to Heaven by the penance prowess of Viswamitra. However, at the gates of Heaven, Indra the Lord of the Heavens refused to let Trisanku in with his mortal body and sent him packing back to Earth with a literal kick in the butt. Trisanku fell headlong towards Earth, crying out the name of Viswamitra. Enraged, Viswamitra again used his prowess and uttered Stay Trisanku! and he stayed hung mid-way between Heaven and Earth, upside down. Viswamitra proceeded by uttering anya swargam karishyE to create a separate Heaven around Trisanku, known as the trisanku swarga (swarga – heaven in Sanskrit). The story ends in a whimper after this as Viswamitra was assuaged subsequently by Vasishta and Indra and Trisanku was allowed to remain in his heaven, as a constellation in the sky.

The phrase trisanku swarga is used – by those who know this story – nowadays in India to connote a ‘comfortable dilemma’ one gets into hence keeps feeling uneasy.

so as per him onion and garlic and other root plants are formed in trisanku swarga, which is not created by god, but by some one else and that is the reason they should not take it....

Another reason is that since bhramins perform pooja in temples and most of the hymns they read are tongue twisters, if they eat onions or garlic, they cant do the correct pronociation of the vedas and that is the reason why they avoid it...

Many people avoid garlic due to its pungent smell. Apple a day keeps doctor away. Garlic a day, keeps everyone including doctor, away.

Onion is not native to India but was brought by Muslim invaders from turkey etc. They used it in meat cooking. Hindus thought it is part and parcel of meat diet, and avoided it.

Jains shun anything that grows underground, even potatoes.
    Last edited by rcscwc; 17 September 2010 at 01:01 AM.

Very funny ( Garlic a day )

I also believe, Garlic was not native to India and also the notion of AyurVeda using Garlic as medicine is very much un-authentic. AyurVeda does not know ( or talked) anything about Garlic ( this is a statement i learnt from one of the Ayurveda practitioner whose family is practicing Ayurveda for generations).

In fact, our diet is not waggly classified as mere Veg and Non-Veg by AyurVeda and it is classified as "SaatVik, Rajasic and Tamasmik". So, it is not sufficient to be happy with just a green dot or red dot in the food box/conatiner and in future i wish, every food will come with a Safforn Dot code as well to denote SaaTVik" food.

Quote Originally Posted by grames View Post
    Very funny ( Garlic a day )

I also believe, Garlic was not native to India and also the notion of AyurVeda using Garlic as medicine is very much un-authentic. AyurVeda does not know ( or talked) anything about Garlic ( this is a statement i learnt from one of the Ayurveda practitioner whose family is practicing Ayurveda for generations).
    Namaste grames

I myself do not take garlic or onion. You may be correct that Aurveda does not mention lahsun, which is used in Lahsun vatika. May be a modern day vikalpa (?). Possible. But, i see that many Aurveda doctors recommend it and mention its reference in ancient texts. The links are below:

http://www.ayurvedic-medicines.com/herbs/garlic.html
    http://www.nzhealth.net.nz/herbs/garlic_ayurveda.shtml
    http://www.keralaayurvedics.com/herb...dic-herbs.html

We can research more and then conclude, IMO. Usually, even if not recommending Garlic or Onion for general food for obvious reasons, these might have very well been recommended for specific medicinal purpose (?).

Especially Lahsun Vati is an established medicine. In many other complex preparations, garlic is used, just as turmeric is used. It is especially used along with guggul gum for ailments such as rheumatism.

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

namate.

I found these references to garlic and onion in Hindu texts:

Agni purANam: garlic used in treatment of snake-bite.
    http://www.indianetzone.com/48/treat...nake_bites.htm

• A legend about how lashuna--garlic, was discovered in Ayurveda:
    http://manasataramgini.wordpress.com...rchives-list=1

GaruDa purANam, pUrva kANDam, lists lashuna--garlic, as an ingredient in a doctor's manual and for treatment of a horse's diseases.
    http://www.astrojyoti.com/garudapurana.htm

• This Website on 'Medicinal Plants of India' refers to garlic and its traditional use quoting Upavarhana samhitA, Agni and Matsya purANas.
    http://www.bsienvis.nic.in/medi.htm

• Vettam MaNi's 'Puranic Encyclopedia' has an entry about 'gRhapIDA' that afflict children for which garlic is used in treatment.
    http://www.archive.org/download/pura...00maniuoft.pdf

Here is a use for the garlic in garbhiNicharyas (regimen for pregnant women):
    http://www.vedicsociety.org/garbhini...ady-a-340.html

• Onion is known in Sanskrit as palANDu.
    http://www.incredibleayurveda.com/Palandu-30.aspx

• Here are some further references about onion and garlic from an ISKCON Website:
    Onion and Garlic: http://www.veda.harekrsna.cz/bhaktiy...aktiyoga-6.htm

Some medicinal uses of onion as listed in a Tamizh book by Swami Vijayananda (use with prior professional consultation and care):

• Generates some heat; expectorates kapha--phlegm and pitta--bile when taken; increases shukram--semon; stimulates jaTharAgni--digestive fire in the stomach;

• When there is no fever, children can be given some raw onion juice with suger added to lessen kapha-vikAra--excessiv phlegm.

• Onion juice with honey or ghee might increase virility.

• For piles complaints onion juice may be used mixed with powdered rock-candy (from the suger cane juice).

• For swelling or pain of gums, onion may be taken with salt.
    • For nose-bleed, a few drops of onion might be applied to stop it.

• Roasting onion with ghee, with lukeworm heat may be bandaged over boils to get them burst.

• Walking with a piece of onion tied to the center of the head might prevent sunstrokes.

• Used in excess, onion reduces intelligence, and might cause swelling of the stomach, and increased pittha--bile. With people who are warm-bodied, it might cause headache. Antodotes for onion are: washing it with salted water; soaking it in vinegar; cook it with tamarind in sAmbAr; Roast it with ghee.

Some medicinal uses of garlic as listed in a Tamizh book by Swami Vijayananda (use with prior professional consultation and care):

• Taking crushed garlic pulp with oil might lessen pain in hands and legs due to exertion.

• Garlic pulp might be taken to lessen the effect of the malaria fever.

• A text called 'NAvanItakam' talks about a kAyakalpa rasAyana preparation using garlic for longevity with no grey hairs and shrunk skin.

रतà¥à¤¨à¤¾à¤•à¤°à¤§à¥Œà¤¤à¤ªà¤¦à¤¾à¤‚ हिमालयकिरीटिनीमॠ।
    बà¥à¤°à¤¹à¥à¤®à¤°à¤¾à¤œà¤°à¥à¤·à¤¿à¤°à¤°à¤¤à¥à¤¨à¤¾à¤¢à¥à¤¯à¤¾à¤‚ वनà¥à¤¦à¥‡ भारतमातरमॠ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

A bone-littered nest in the bottom of a pit deep in the jungles of Amesbury, Massachusetts.

Light Re: Garlic and onions

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post

Aum Namasivaya
    ...I may have to go try this sometime, now that I've read that. One has to wonder at the implications of how quickly the body metabolizes it, also.

I totally agree with your message. In South India, we have the popular dish IDLI and in some parts of tamilnadu, this Garlic Chutney is so popular. Once i happen to eat this chutney and i cannot describe what happened to me after eating few idlish with garlic chutney.

Experienced it and so i would surely say, it is not good for Spritual practicing people but may be, it can cure few things.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Peshalah View Post
    Is it necessary to refrain from eating garlic, and onions?
    The question becomes, what do you wish to accomplish?
    If there is no goal, then any road will take you there. If you are a consumer, then one consumes , doesn't matter what. Ayurveda calls out these foods , yet for certain purposes.

I offered the following post for those that wish to wear rudrākṣa
    and adore śiva :

What foods should a wearer of rudrākṣa avoid ( as found in the śiva mahāpurāṇa )?
    Both the rudrākṣajābala upaniṣad & the śiva mahāpurāṇa give guidance on food-stuffs that are to be avoided for those that wish to pursue the benefits of rudrākṣa. This information seems to cause some clamor as onions and garlic are quite popular in India ( and all over the world).
    • garlic & red garlic
    • onion
    • śigru - a kind of horse-radish
    • liquor
    • flesh ( meat ) - 'pigs of rubbish' are called out (viḍvarāha)
    • glutinous fruits
    • potherb
    So, one may ask - why not eat these items? Let me offer my conjecture. From an ayurvedic point of view these items listed above increase pitta doṣa in one's constitution (dhātu).
    An over abundance of these foods aggravates pitta¹. Pitta is tightly coupled to agni , that quality that govens not only our metabolism but agni directly influences intelligence, understanding & comprehension and perception.
    Not only that, agni is found in the 7 dhātu-s within our system e.g. plasma, blood tissue, muscle tissue, bone tissue, marrow, and reproductive tissue. Also note that excessive pitta drives rago-guna ( anger and the like). So, one may think pitta is 'bad' - this would be an incorrect conclusion to draw.

Those are my views , others may differ.

praṇām

1 source: Ayurveda by Dr.Vasant Lad ( one of the better books on ayurveda I possess)
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information