Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeing Gods in dreams

Hybrid View

Seeing Gods in dreams

I recently had a dream where both Krishna and Shiva appeared before me. I am not currently a Hindu; and I am not even sure that God exists. Now I have a question: do Hindus believe that the Gods appear to them in dreams? What am I to make of this?

Re: Seeing Gods in dreams

What we dream is our own past experiences. Hence i wud think seeing gods of hindu pantheon in dreams means you had a hindu connection or to its deities. If nothing in this life, then probably an earlier life.

However cud it be that you had seen shiva and krishna in a TV serial or a book or something ?
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Namaskar,

Sometimes God showers his grace by giving darshan in a dream.

This revelation is to be kept secret or shared among only a trusted few, I learnt this fact after I posted my own dream about this on the Internet!

The dream transformed me from atheist to a theist.
    Last edited by satay; 09 January 2008 at 02:37 PM.
    satay

Namaste Explorer,

I agree with what Satay has said. There are many people who experience or see a form of God in dreams, or more commonly their guru, but it is generally taught that we are not to openly speak of these experiences, except with the guru or a few people we trust.

I know that Sivaya Subramuniyaswami says in his works that when we begin to learn in the waking experience, we also begin our education in the dream states in "astral schools."

Aum Namah Shivaya.

Quote Originally Posted by sm78 View Post
    What we dream is our own past experiences. Hence i wud think seeing gods of hindu pantheon in dreams means you had a hindu connection or to its deities. If nothing in this life, then probably an earlier life.

However cud it be that you had seen shiva and krishna in a TV serial or a book or something ?
    All experiences of God in the waking state are that of agni vaishvAnara - visions, voices etc.

All experiences of God in the dream state( or in svarga loka) are that of Taijasa- subtle visions, dream visions, subtle voice, mental visions etc.

All experiences of God in deep sleep ( or in Brahmaloka) are that of sarveshvara pragnya. Normal humans cannot have this - only rishis and yogis can have this.

The true God experience is the turIya Brahman - experienced only in samAdhi by the perfect jnAnin.

So no experience of God is to be denied. We must understand that in reality God experience cannot be localized in time and space, and all such localized experiences must be relative and subjective, and such experiences must ultimately give away to the highest realization.

~RL

What is experience of a God vs No God ??

I and everyone else regularly experience the waking (vaishvAnara) and dream (part of taijasa) states of consciousness. What difference (in terms of awareness and knowledge) does it make if a form of deity instead of a donkey appears before someone while dreaming ?? Isin't he is still dreaming...

On the other hand any mundane human experience can be sacred and has the potential to change the course of one's life...

Appearance of a deity may or may not have a special significance. Tantras indicate that
    secret formulas may be revealed to someone in dreams. Such strong dreams which have
    consequence on real life needs to be discussed with guru. Otherwise we are much better off not to be dreaming about our dream last night when awake.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Smile Re: Seeing Gods in dreams

I think you are a pure person, only poor people get the vision of lord. At least I never got a vision of the lord, I think I just Imagine that I got a god in my dream, but your experience is different.

Quote Originally Posted by bhargavsai View Post
    I think you are a pure person, only poor people get the vision of lord. At least I never got a vision of the lord, I think I just Imagine that I got a god in my dream, but your experience is different.
    Namaste Bhargavsai,

Even if we do have any sort of vision or experience in a dream, I wonder if we will necessarily remember it in the waking condition. I, for example, very rarely remember what happened in my dreams, except if I wake up right in the midst of it. So, who knows, perhaps you've been graced in your dreams, and just don't remember it consciously!

Aum.

Namaste All,

Dream is the light body of the being, seen in variegated colors by the being itself (the Seer). Often the form of the Ishta devata, or a mantra, or form of oneself will be revealed. And again, usually, vision in Taijassa comes before a vision for meditation in waking time can be established and stabilised.The vision of God in Taijjasa is usually auspicious as is the vision in waking time.

During meditation one may span through three states of consciousness and it is said that one should be attentive of the visions that come up. Same is true of God visions in dreams. Though the vision itself is not the Self, but the form of the vision may prove to be the pivot of Dhyana.

Seeing Shiva, Parvati, or Vishnu in dream is extremely auspicious. Such will not happen without His approval.

Om
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

I find this dream puzzling, because I am skeptical about God and reincarnation as well. Does one need to formally convert to Hinduism to worship these deities? Are there Hindus who are skeptical about reincarnation and God? I feel drawn to Hinduism, but still skeptical about it.

Thread Information