Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Can someone be both Hindu and Sufi?

Re: Can someone be both Hindu and Sufi?

Namaste,

Dear OCC, a Sufi is a Muslim first. They accept Q'uran as the holy scripture and Muhammad as their prophet. How can a Hindu become a Sufi without becoming a Muslim first ?

OM

It would be very difficult for a Sufi to claim to be both Sufi and Hindu as we know just the history of Sufism alone has caused many Sufis to die, because of experiences they have of the divine that did not go according to the Dogma of the muslims. This reminds me of al-Hallaj who was executed for saying, "Ana al-Haq" (I am the Truth). Al-Haq (the Truth) was reserved for Allah according to the majority of the Muslims, whereas al-Hallaj had an experience of seeing himself merged with the divine. Unfortunately, this caused him to be killed. Later on down the line of many Sufis, there have been much respect that they have given to al-Hallaj, but they had to keep this on the low as well as their other sufi teachings for fear of being murdered by the populace. I can't imagine one in Iran or Saudi Arabia claiming to be a Sufi and a Hindu without some threats, or as a worse case scenario be attacked.

Om Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Dear OCC, a Sufi is a Muslim first. They accept Q'uran as the holy scripture and Muhammad as their prophet. How can a Hindu become a Sufi without becoming a Muslim first ?

OM

It all just depends on your definition of a sufi!
    Pave to Musalman, pave Hindu, Sikh ve, sada ve Rabb jive; ek sada dil ve. Apne aap nu tu vakhra kyun samjhe...?
    Whether you are Muslim, Hindu, or Sikh...Our God is the same; our heart is one. Why do you consider yourself different...?

Noble I made thee, wherewith dost thou abase thyself?

Quote Originally Posted by ohhcuppycakee View Post
    It all just depends on your definition of a sufi!
    interested to know your definition of a sufi, cakee .....

I think you should just be you, without any labels.
    Worship the Divine however you want.

Thread Information