Thread: An Industrial Music Group Gives a Nod to Lord Shiva

An Industrial Music Group Gives a Nod to Lord Shiva

Namaste HDF,

The point of this thread is short and sweet - the veteran industrial music group Download, consisting of Phil Western and former Skinny Puppy member cEvin Key, have given a nod to Lord Shiva as being part of their inspiration for their latest album, titled, appropriately, Lingam.

As for how Lord Shiva supposedly inspired them, a description of the album from the Bandcamp page I linked to follows:

In Hindu scripture, the lingam is the beginning-less and endless cosmic pillar, symbolizing the infinite nature of Shiva, and such infinity can be sensed in Download’s latest album. Entitled LingAM, the duo of cEvin Key and Phil Western use their impressive repertoire of skills, synthesizers and sequencers to create a transcendent work of experimental electronica. Analog squelches and percussive grooves blend seamlessly with elements of trance, noise, IDM, and post-industrial to create a beat driven epic. Centered, as with all Download releases, around a pillar of percussion and rhythm, LingAM stands as an enchanting sonic expression.
    I don't know if this would be considered a respectful nod or appropriation, but still, it's interesting to see this sort of reference in their music.

(Disclaimer: I'm just bringing it up and commenting here, and I'm not necessarily endorsing this, so please keep that in mind when responding. Thanks! )

Re: An Industrial Music Group Gives a Nod to Lord Shiva

जय श्री राम

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    I don't know if this would be considered a respectful nod or appropriation, but still, it's interesting to see this sort of reference in their music.
    Namaste, Webimpulse-ji:

I listened to the track Lingam (which was track number one and about 4 1/2 minutes long).

The track was far from appropriation, in my opinion. They gave credit where it was due as soon as they mentioned Lord Shrī Sadā-Shiva in their description below their song list. And, their description of the Shrī Lingam was very philosophical and in line with Shaiva beliefs. They also did not fall to the fallacy of describing it as: you know what, like how Abrahamics and anti-Hindus prematurely do.

Even though the track wasn't my kind of music, I respected it because the artists gave credit for their inspirations where it was due.

Regards,
    Paijavana

जय विश्वेदेवाः
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 17 January 2014 at 03:41 PM.

Thread Information