Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TEMPLES - Wishlist

TEMPLES - Wishlist

Namaste,

All of us want to visit certain places,especially temples.In this post I request members to share the names of the temples they would like to visit in the future.

I want to visit Puri Sri Jagannatha temple.

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Re: TEMPLES - Wishlist

Namaste,

Even with Sri Rama as Ishta-devata, it is not Ayodhya (or any other Sri Rama temple) that I want to see, but it is that of my father 'Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Deva' in holy AHOBILAM that I want to visit.

Ahobilam is considered the most sacred of Sri Narasimha Deva's sthalas and contains 9 holy shrines of Sri Narasimha Deva's 9 different forms! It also contains the sacred 'Ugra Sthamba' or the pillar through which Sri Narasimha Deva emerged, in response to the prayers of bhakta Prahlada!

I have heard that visiting this holy place is very tough, as conveyances such as buses, etc aren't there or are very scanty and one has to climb steep mountains up and down to visit all the 9 shrines! But, it is said, this place is most energy-packed and a gem among those sthalas one wishes to visit!

Sri Rama is more of a friend to me, but Sri Narasimha Deva is 'my father'. I had bonded with him right away after reading some devotional works on him and he forever has a very stronghold on my psyche.

I so wish Sri Narasimha Deva would grant me darshan of himself at AHOBILAM!

Hail to Narasimha Prana Devaru!

http://temple-of-secrets.blogspot.co...a-temples.html

Thanks.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Vannakkam: Where so I start?

To be clear, I'm not attached to this stuff, it usually just comes up as whims... hey, it's be nice to go there some time.

I'm probably already well over 50, maybe over 100. A Kannada friend of mine who has been traveling steady since he retired is now at 144 countries. He keeps track, and each time I see him, my first question is, "So how many countries is it now?"

But here goes ..

Himalayas ... Badrinath, Kedarnath, Amarnath Cave, and Muktinath

India .. 12 Jyothirlingams, and 5 elemental lingams, especially Tiruvannamalai, and Kasi

Malaysia ... Batu caves, Penang Hill

America .. Nashville Ganesha, Toronto Varasiddhi Vinayagar, Hindu temple of Atlanta

That's a good start.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste,

It also contains the sacred 'Ugra Sthamba' or the pillar through which Sri Narasimha Deva emerged, in response to the prayers of bhakta Prahlada!

I have heard that visiting this holy place is very tough, as conveyances such as buses, etc aren't there or are very scanty and one has to climb steep mountains up and down to visit all the 9 shrines! But, it is said, this place is most energy-packed and a gem among those sthalas one wishes to visit!

I so wish Sri Narasimha Deva would grant me darshan of himself at AHOBILAM!

Hail to Narasimha Prana Devaru!

http://temple-of-secrets.blogspot.co...a-temples.html

Thanks.
    Namaste Ji,

When I was in school our Samskrutam acharya Ji told us about the Ugra Sthamba,I was amazed to know that it existed really.When I used to watch it in devotional movies I used to think where is the pillar now?
    I too hope I will visit Sri Ahobalam someday.

I think the facilities are improved now.A few months ago I came across a detailed book published by the Sri Ahobalam Mutt about the history behind each form and the amenities and the procedure to visit the nine Kshetras in one go.They also mentioned that guides are available.

It would be good if you will contact Sri Matham before visting as they will help you Ji.

P.S. Do you know Kannada?
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: Where so I start?

To be clear, I'm not attached to this stuff, it usually just comes up as whims... hey, it's be nice to go there some time.

I'm probably already well over 50, maybe over 100. A Kannada friend of mine who has been traveling steady since he retired is now at 144 countries. He keeps track, and each time I see him, my first question is, "So how many countries is it now?"

But here goes ..

Himalayas ... Badrinath, Kedarnath, Amarnath Cave, and Muktinath

India .. 12 Jyothirlingams, and 5 elemental lingams, especially Tiruvannamalai, and Kasi

Malaysia ... Batu caves, Penang Hill

America .. Nashville Ganesha, Toronto Varasiddhi Vinayagar, Hindu temple of Atlanta

That's a good start.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Ji,

Yes,there are so many destinations to visit.

Oh I forgot about the Himalayas!

I've been to Sri Chidambaram
    Akasha Lingam.It is a big temple with stunning murals on the ceiling.There is a shrine of Sri Govindaraja Perumal beside Sri Nataraja Swamy.

I've seen Sri Grishneshwara Jyotirlingam.The temple has a very small red door and the tour guide said that if a persons head hits the door frame red milk will ooze out from the head.
    I was scared when I heard that but now I realize that the red milk might be blood.

I saw the Batu caves temple in a Tamil movie,it is very beautiful.Wherever Hindus go they build wonderful structures,Sri Batu Murugan is a good example.

I think one of my relatives got married in the Atlanta temple you mentioned.

I would like to add SriRangam temple.

SriRangam Namperumal

Last edited by Ram11; 02 September 2014 at 01:21 AM.

Namaste

I have been to Jagannath Puri and the temple, it is very wonderful however even though I could prove without a doubt that I am a Hindu, I was not allowed into the sanctum. Because of this discrimination against me, essentially based on race ("Caucasian") I have no desire to return there. However, many Hindus who like me were discriminated against are building very large and wonderful Jagannath Temples of which I can visit, which now many are visiting for darshan, and yes I would like to visit those.

In Vrindavan I visited many temples and had many wonderful communions and spiritual events, and my favorite is Kashi which was the same.

The list for Kashi and Vrindavan is a long list, and especially Kashi there is no question I will return since even if I die tomorrow all the paperwork and will is in order along with money reserved for the expenses, that my ashes be thrown in Ganga at Manikarnika.

And that is the one "temple", the one tirtha, I always love to see again, the sun rising or setting over Ganga at the City Never Forsaken by Shiva (Kashi).

One temple I have not yet been to that is on my dream list is the Chidambaram Nataraja Temple which absolutely will allow me in since I have already been invited to it for darshan. So I must. Also, I would like to visit and have darshan at the Meenakshi Temple at Madurai because I have devotion for Her, however I am not sure if I will face the same discrimination as in Puri despite the fact I can prove I am a Hindu.

(Chidambaram)

Om Namah Sivaya

Vannakkam: SF, Chidambaram will be no problem, (I can hook you up with a friend there if you'd like) but Madurai is hit and miss. Somebody might stop you, and maybe not. Of the 5 0r 6 times I've entered it, I got stopped once, and had to show documents. Of course they recognised it right away and I got in. The other times were no problem, no stares, nothing ... and pleasant conversations just relaxing after taking darshan.

So I'd just go if I were you. Just walk right past the sign.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    Namaste

I have been to Jagannath Puri and the temple, it is very wonderful however even though I could prove without a doubt that I am a Hindu, I was not allowed into the sanctum. Because of this discrimination against me, essentially based on race ("Caucasian") I have no desire to return there.
    Namaste Ji,

This is awful.So sorry to hear that.Please try to visit during the Maha Ratha Yatra when Sri Jagannatha himself comes out of the temple to give darshan to all devotees.

Did you visit Kashi Sri Vishwanatha Jyotirlingam?

One temple I have not yet been to that is on my dream list is the Chidambaram Nataraja Temple which absolutely will allow me in since I have already been invited to it for darshan. So I must.

It is a very beautiful temple Ji.I suggest you read as much as possible about the temple and have a look at the temple map before going.The temple was quite big and as I did not know the entire complex I probably missed seeing some places.It is also special for both Shaivas and Vaishnavas as the temple also houses Sri Govindaraja Perumal near Sri Nataraja Swamy.What an awe inspiring temple!

Oh!I miss the sweet prasada from this place,it was so good!

Also, I would like to visit and have darshan at the Meenakshi Temple at Madurai because I have devotion for Her,however I am not sure if I will face the same discrimination as in Puri despite the fact I can prove I am a Hindu
    As EM ji said
    I hope you will not face any obstacles and have a happy Darshan of the Devi.

This practice seems so bad.Even I saw boards in many temples but I thought they would never implement such things.

Last edited by Ram11; 01 September 2014 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post

This practice seems so bad.Even I saw boards in many temples but I thought they would never implement such things.

Vannakkam: I agree with the practice of not allowing non-Hindus to enter. Non Catholics can't take communion. Non Mormons can't enter Mormon temples, and there are probably tons of other examples. A Hindu temple is not a public place like a city park. It's a privately owned institution, and the management has every right to make the rules like dress codes, and who can enter which parts. We don't need gawkers, cameras, and tightened security everywhere. At Madurai now there is tight security (airport style metal detectors) at each gopuram entrance. This practice was instituted to guard against terrorist attacks.

Non-Hindus without the proper attitude will dilute the temple sannidhya. But it's only the temples that are also tourist attractions that are affected. Off the road temples like Palani have no such problems.

The problem is that race is a general indicator for being a non-Hindu and works 90% of the time. It's the other 10% like myself and ShivaFan who have to deal with it. Of course Indian Christians and Muslims also can get in because of this indicator but they wouldn't want to anyway.

If I was ever turned away from a Hindu temple, I'd just chalk it up to karma, and move on to the next one. Like a place of business, if they don't want me, I'll find another store that will.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Completely off topic now but I personally do not know what's behind this practice of discrimination against Hindus of non indian origin entering the temple. Tradition aside the practice doesn't seem to be working well as if I were an Indian Muslim or Christian I would not be stopped from entering. Surely if this discriminatory practice must continue for some reason perhaps tradition, not sure, temple authorities can put a bit of thinking behind it and come up with a better process for admission? What happens to interracial families, are only the indian looking folk allowed in and the rest must stand outside like idiots?

On the surface it seems to be an odd practice and completely discriminatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    The problem is that race is a general indicator for being a non-Hindu and works 90% of the time. It's the other 10% like myself and ShivaFan who have to deal with it. Of course Indian Christians and Muslims also can get in because of this indicator but they wouldn't want to anyway.

If I was ever turned away from a Hindu temple, I'd just chalk it up to karma, and move on to the next one. Like a place of business, if they don't want me, I'll find another store that will.

Aum Namasivaya
    satay

Thread Information