Thread: Would you accept the fruits of sadhana from such devotees?

Would you accept the fruits of sadhana from such devotees?

Namaste,

I am wondering the above with regards to the works of some great men of Hinduism, who are also subsequently prone to controversies by way of their speech or actions.

i) Osho Rajneesh - Though his actions were totally against dharmic behavior as advocated in Sanathana Dharma, I came across this writing of his and thought this was worth reading: http://www.oshorajneesh.com/download...nscendence.pdf.

ii) Srila Prabhupada ji: The great master has earned some very negative outlook on himself by way of his some well-known comments on women, etc. But I have heard his works on Bhagavatam and other Vaishnava texts are masterpieces.

What should be the right outlook in accepting works of such masters? Is thinking that 'everyone has flaws and as long as they are not detriments towards others' spiritual progress, can be accepted' the right attitude?

Kindly Note: Satay ji, if you think this question will arouse controversies, please delete the thread. This is a real genuine question that has been in my mind for sometime.

Thanks and regards.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: Would you accept the fruits of sadhana from such devotees?

First, you should think carefully, "what do I truly seek as an end result? ... do I have a goal? ... does it involve only me, or extends to my family, or to my community or clan, or to my state, or to my nation, or to many nations, or to the entire earth, or to lokas, or to many universes, or to everything and all the universe?"

I am "action oriented" and focus on extending real experience over being a "book worm". But I can chew gum and walk at the same time, as the old saying goes, and while the experience of Hinduism is more important to me than reading about Hinduism, believe it or not I can and do have a generous balance of both and can be as scholarly as the next if it comes down to it.

Typically you have the opportunity to be found by others who are more advanced, like the lodestone effect.

When you dive into the "works" of masters, you can be well suited to dive into ALL of them to your heart's content. Gems can be found. But first live (sort of like an athlete in training) experiences that "strengthen your muscles" before becoming just another "book worm". Build "magic powers" of your own by way of action, as simple as they may seem, then "fly" into the works instead of drowning in them. IMHO.

Namaste
    It is interesting to see osho and prabhupada mentioned in a single post. Both possibly polar opposites of each other yet both someone that I admire a lot. Both had no flaws at all as they lived their lives according to their principles. They practiced what they preached. What else could we ask them for?

Both gifted humanity with so much knowledge and great works that one could fill libraries with it.

Viraja, if you are starting to read osho, I must warn you to be careful. His words arouse so much internal questioning that one can become an atheist in a hurry. You will never be the viraja we know of today!
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Namaste
    It is interesting to see osho and prabhupada mentioned in a single post. Both possibly polar opposites of each other yet both someone that I admire a lot. Both had no flaws at all as they lived their lives according to their principles. They practiced what they preached. What else could we ask them for?

Both gifted humanity with so much knowledge and great works that one could fill libraries with it.

Viraja, if you are starting to read osho, I must warn you to be careful. His words arouse so much internal questioning that one can become an atheist in a hurry. You will never be the viraja we know of today!
    Thank you for the clarification, Satay ji. I don't know much about Osho's writings, but Srila Prabhupada ji's - I've heard a lot about (in a good way). Since both have some controversies about them, that is why the question.

Probably I won't read Osho's works that much than some small piece here and there, because I am strongly into worship of Saguna Brahman using pujas and rituals and I'm a beginner and not at all an established aspirant and during this stage, I better be cautious about reading material that is tuned to my beliefs only. I believe your fair warning about Osho's writing will not only be useful to me at this point but also to others reading this thread.

Thanks and regards.

Thank you for the good response, ShivaFan ji.

I guess you are saying to dive deep into both their works without any inhibition and then to judge later (?).

I liked your emphasis on what sounded like 'character-building' rather than reading first. (too many of our talented and young Hindus, especially on the internet, take to the attitude of 'preaching' because they think having info at finger-tips empowers them with Character, when actually it does the opposite).

Thanks and regards.
    Last edited by Viraja; 31 August 2014 at 01:59 PM.

Namaste,

It boils down to the overall effect observed from exposure to what is
    offered- first is observing the general effect on others at large, second
    observing the effect on myself- is the net effect positive or negative?
    How willing am I to alter my perspective, in order to understand the offered
    P.O.V? How much alteration would be necessary? It is of course everyone's
    choice to read or listen to what is offered, and keep what is felt to be
    of benefit while leaving what is not aside. Yet maintaining inner neutrality or
    objectivity while absorbing what is offered is not always easily done; this
    is indeed the trick- and if the one making the offering requires abandoning
    neutrality in order to properly recieve, than one should properly be wary.

There is always something to be learned, but the lesson might not always
    be the one that is prescribed- this is my opinion, regardless of the source-
    remain teachable, yet not at the expense of hard-won prior wisdom

JAI MATA DI
    || जय माता की ||

Thank you for a wonderful clarification and sum-up, JMD. I will ponder over the points offered by you and perhaps question around and collect some data too (regarding how others felt the influence to be).

Regards.

Vannakkam: I just ask "why?" It makes sense to read several works by various teachers if you're in a process for something that makes sense. But lots of us aren't. We've found what we're looking for, and don't need or desire to look elsewhere. That isn't saying that 'other' teachings are wrong or undesirable, but just unnecessary for the individual. One can go read scripture.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: I just ask "why?" It makes sense to read several works by various teachers if you're in a process for something that makes sense. But lots of us aren't. We've found what we're looking for, and don't need or desire to look elsewhere. That isn't saying that 'other' teachings are wrong or undesirable, but just unnecessary for the individual. One can go read scripture.

Aum Namasivaya
    In my case, I would say it's just plain curiosity... we hear about famous works by various teachers who are new to us, and then immediately we are possessed with a curiosity to know their work, to see if they give us a 'broader perspective' that would broaden the horizon for us.. that is, make us 'better' in a sense... atleast that was my motive. For example, read a much acclaimed devotional work on Bhagavatam by Prabhupada ji and get more devoted, as an end-result! (Or to read Osho and gain a greater 'tolerance' or understanding of humans in various standing/various religious backgrounds! Perhaps also be able to identify what is 'wrong' with us in our greater outlook on humans...) But truly, I understand, even if it were to be, such an effect would be transient as true devotion takes commitment, time and involvement (along with the grace of god) to evolve! (And so does anything to do with humanity...).

So as you say, EM ji, in the end, it does not really prove to be much useful to read different masters at all! Like you say, one just needs clarifications here and there, and our scriptures provide it to us, afterall!

Thanks.

Thread Information