Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The problems of being a Hindu ''convert''

Re: The problems of being a Hindu ''convert''

Quote Originally Posted by ScottMalaysia View Post
    When people see someone Indian, they instantly recognise that that person is from a different culture and probably a different religion. When they look at you, they see a white British person, who is of the same culture as them. With regard to what you said about a headscarf, converts to Islam are probably taken more seriously because the religion has a specific conversion procedure and many famous people such as Yusuf Islam and Muhammad Ali have converted.
    I know this is probably a minority position here, but this is why I'm glad about the whole Julia Roberts thing. Maybe it will put Western Hindus more in context for the average person.

Quote Originally Posted by kallol View Post
    Certifications are not required to believe in a way you can. No one is more or less hindu. Neither you have to show outwardly any hinduness to believe in hinduism.

It is your (and only uniquely yours) spiritual path. Tread it as you can. You do not have to live other's life.

There are plenty of books, friends, discourses, etc available all over the places.
    Quote Originally Posted by BryonMorrigan View Post
    Personally, I've found (in my experience) that the loudest voices that a non-Indian cannot adopt Hinduism come from (in order of frequency):

1. Western Christian Supremacists who use that as a "reason" to denigrate Hindus.

2. Muslims and Christians who are Indian-born, often because of their deep-seated hatred for Hinduism.

3. Indian Hindus who doubt the commitment of white Hindus and feel that they are likely to lose interest, or mistrust their motives as a form of cultural appropriation.

Numbers one and two clearly have a Christian/Muslim Supremacist agenda, and should be ignored and/or ridiculed. Number three should be approached as a challenge. Prove your sincerity. (IMO)
    I envy the people who can express so much in so few words.

BTW, ISKCON devotees wear what they consider to be "spiritual clothes" to the temple, not Indian or Western or any other clothes.

I know this is probably a minority position here, but this is why I'm glad about the whole Julia Roberts thing. Maybe it will put Western Hindus more in context for the average person.
    Vannakkam: Maybe. Maybe not. I think it sort of depends on how she continues her practice of Hinduism. A lot of westerners lose some interest when they find out about some things, like the discipline, the yamas and niyamas, or even the menses custom or marital fidelity. Hopefully she'll learn this stuff and practice it.

So I say we wait and see.

Although Richard Gere claims to be a practising Buddhist, some of his lifestyle choices are questionable.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Although Richard Gere claims to be a practising Buddhist, some of his lifestyle choices are questionable.
    Yeah, him and Tiger Woods...

But that just puts them up there with the majority of Christian celebrities in the West, who also don't exactly live up to the general religious teachings of their religion. At least I don't hear people saying that one can't be a Buddhist unless they're ethnically Asian...

Yeah, him and Tiger Woods...

But that just puts them up there with the majority of Christian celebrities in the West, who also don't exactly live up to the general religious teachings of their religion. At least I don't hear people saying that one can't be a Buddhist unless they're ethnically Asian...
    Vannakkam: You mean the Mel Gibson types. Still, I feel sorry for those with karma to be in the limelight. I think its a tough karma, and a tough life. Very few celebs come through it really well and sane. Better just to be some simple peasant somewhere with enough to eat, and enough free time to worship.

Aum Namasivaya

Oh, and another thing: Whenever some Christian tells you that some Hindus don't accept Western Hindus...remind them that some Christians (Google "Christian Identity") don't believe that non-Whites can be Christian, and believe that Jews are some kind of evil demon-race. (Heck, that's pretty close to some of what Mel Gibson seems to believe...at that...)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: You mean the Mel Gibson types. Still, I feel sorry for those with karma to be in the limelight. I think its a tough karma, and a tough life. Very few celebs come through it really well and sane. Better just to be some simple peasant somewhere with enough to eat, and enough free time to worship.

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste Eastern Mindji,

Julia seems to agree with you: "Golly, I've been so spoiled with my friends and family in this life. Next time I want to be just something quiet and supporting."

But of course for some people being in the limelight could be a blessing. They could do great things like charity and activism and inspire people. It all depends on how they use the popularity and being the focus of attention.

But I would still choose the peasant's life over the Hollywood life.

Jai Sri Krishna

anti-Semitism is something that Christians and Muslims have been historically very good at and even today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmg97rnz4xg

Hindus have given refuge to Jews. And Parsees when the Muslims invaded Iran, and the Bahai's in modern times. Not to mention Hindu kings defending Buddhist monks and constructing temples for them.

Racism is also a very Muslim thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJhSejBDTPI

Zanzibar revolt, Blacks massacre Arabs for enslaving them
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqHi5...eature=related

Sudan today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoAxr-ZZz_U

Still blacks have been converting to islam in flocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post

BTW, ISKCON devotees wear what they consider to be "spiritual clothes" to the temple, not Indian or Western or any other clothes.

We all are cautious with dresses when we go to place of worship lest God gets angry and possibly ogle

Love and best wishes

I agree with kallol, for the last 20 years as a white westerner I have attended countless Hindu ceremonies, never said Im Hindu but follow Sanathana Dharma. Like offering pearls to the swine, keep it to your self. The outsiders will never understand something even in our lifetimes we wouldn't fully understand. Maybe in several births they might become interested in the Vedas too.

Thread Information