Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Define the responsibilities of a Hindu

Re: Define the responsibilities of a Hindu

Thank you, Yajvan ji. You have given a wonderful reply. It is a new concept to me to think of sadhana as 'trying to become one with oneself, because each of us is HIM (her)'. How true indeed! I will try my best to take your message regarding viewing each of us as an expansion of but ourself. Thank you for the good guidance, much appreciated.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste,

So far we have seen in many threads very many definitions on who is a Hindu and who is not.

My question is not the above, rather I would like to know 'What would be the mission or responsibilities of a Hindu'?

I have a short list to get this started:

1. To spread the word, and encourage people to become vegetarian - in other words, this can be stated as 'commitment' to the mission of ahimsa. Many devout scholars of Hinduism, such as Shri A.M.Rajagopalan of Kumudam Jyotish share this view - many devout Hindus view that playing one's part in making vegetarianism succeed by constantly urging others is one of the pure goals of being a Hindu.

2. Raising the awareness of taking care of one's parents and aged people.

3. Raising awareness of doing duties to one's pitrus - such as offering them tarpanam, etc.

My list stops here, as I cannot think of other responsibilities of a Hindu. Can you think of other points? If so, please add to the list.

Thank you.
    Namaste,

I personally feel there is no responsibility.

Responsibility means shouldering or taking on something upon yourself...that is adding something to yourself.

The whole concept of Hinduism is "Removing" and not "Adding" on.

Dont get me wrong..I am not saying that we do not have to do our duties as a human being but what I mean is technically there is No Compulsion or Responsibility that will only burden us.

We are supposed to remove as we go along so that what shines within can be revealed.

So frankly speaking Hinduism is one of the rare few religions that allows a human to be himself and also allows others to be themselves without resorting to any conversion or brainwashing techniques.

All other religions come with rigid rules and regulations with dire consequences if not followed.

Actually God keeps things simple..He just wanted us to be ourselves but somehow along the line we humans complicated everything!

Vannakkam Viraja and everyone,

You've brought up a really good topic, a much-needed one. Many important responsibilities have already been given by you and other respectable members. I would like to add one more, for now:

The responsibility to prepare future generations of Hindus to carry forward Hinduism into this modern world as well as preserve and maintain it for future generations, without being influenced by other religions (especially Abrahamic religions, which are bent on converting the entire world into their religions).

This can be achieved by: Educating the younger generation of Hindus as much as we can about our religion and exposing them to it whenever possible and necessary, especially those not living in South Asia.

Not only do we need to teach them that all religions are good and none is more superior than the other, we also need to give them a comparison between our religion and other religions. This will allow them to see for themselves which they feel is better.

Since Hinduism is not a religion which actively preaches and converts others, we have to focus only on those who are Hindus. Muslims and Christians on the other hand have a huge burden. They see it as their sacred duty to convert people from other religions into theirs, which means they have to concentrate both on maintaining their followers as well as monitoring people of other religions in order to convert them. We Hindus don't even need to think about that!

We are actually very lucky to be Hindus as we do not have that horrible burden. So it is definitely much easier for us to just ensure we propagate our religious knowledge among ourselves and especially the younger generations, and making sure sure they pass it on to future generations as well.

As globalisation occurs, we Hindus are exposed to other cultures and religions more than ever before. Innocent Hindus have become the victims of proselytising by Christians and Muslims. This has been happening in the Indian subcontinent for centuries, with the coming of the Mughal Emperors, followed by the European colonialists.

As if that's not enough, in the last hundred years when South Asians started migrating to other parts of the world right up to present, proselytisation by Abrahamic religions have been ongoing in host countries. While first generation immigrants can hold on strongly to their roots and adjust in the new environment, the following generations born in these countries start getting absorbed into the more 'acceptable' local culture, which are often very different from Hindu and South Asian culture, just to fit in. It's a worrying situation really.

Our ancestors may not have been faced with these situations, but we, the present few generations, know pretty well that the survival of Hinduism depends a lot on us and how we pass it on, unaltered, to future generations.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by yajvan; 19 August 2014 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by renuka View Post
    So frankly speaking Hinduism is one of the rare few religions that allows a human to be himself and also allows others to be themselves without resorting to any conversion or brainwashing techniques.
    Dear Renuka ji,

My message in the first 3 points is not to 'proselytize' people of other faith to practice Hinduism. Nor it was intended for any brainwashing. Rather, it is a practical example related to Hinduism where one can raise awareness amongst other Hindus regarding certain valid and useful practices of Hinduism. For example, Shri A.M.Rajagopalan opines that non-vegetarianism adversely affects the well-being of one's progeny (either psychologically or physically). Forgoing 'Tarpanam' etc that is due on one's pitrus results in various 'rinas' (debts) that lead to an unfulfilling life with strifes. So the points were made with a careful consideration to raise awareness pertaining to these issues, much as raising awareness about 'Breast Cancer', 'Recycling', 'growing trees' and so forth.. To force others to view only our viewpoint as being right (even though their view point could also be right) is proselytizing and this is what happens with other religions trying to convert Hindus. Whereas, here, with these points, the Acharyas have clearly identified them as wrong practices and we are simply 'raising awareness' without compelling anyone 'to see from our viewpoint' and to make gradual changes in their lifestyle for their own goodness.

@Equinox, you have brought about a very important point for consideration. I'm adding it as my point #15:

15. To inculcate knowledge of Hinduism and its practices in the future generations and to make sure they are aware of and well-guarded against the much dreaded 'proselytizing'.

Add I thought of point 16:

16. Try to do Surya-Namaskara.

Namaste,

Thanks Viraja Ji and members Ji,this is a very good topic.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

If people are driven ( or uplifted) by lists - then the list should be profound, as short as possible, and meaningful. What then should that list be ?

I would offer the following ; puruṣārtha known as the 4 aims in life (puruṣa + ārtha = human + aim , purpose )
    • dharma-discharge of duty to one's self, family, society
    • artha -acquirement of wealth
    • kāma - desire and its fulfillment
    • mokṣa- final emancipation
    Here is how I view these 4:
    • Pending one's spiritual intent kāma becomes mumkṣutva - or the burning desire for liberation not the acquisition of things.
    • Artha is wealth, yet the wealth of what? The wealth of knowledge is one venue, and one's financial wealth becomes a tool to acquire this wealth of knowledge. That is, provide food, shelter, time, i.e. a stable environment that one may pursue their spiritual practices.
    • Dharma is the approach for one to remain disciplined and stay on their path... this discipline is welcomed as it supports one's goals and activities.
    • Mokṣa is the level of Being that one wishes to attain , but it is no longer a philosophical construct or idea, but a level that one nurtures.
    Yet for some, they still wish to pursue more of a list - they wish to have more guidance, a checklist. There's 9 duties called out for all varṅa¹ in the mahābhārata ( śanti parvan - section 60):
    • suppression of wrath
    • truthfulness in speech
    • justice
    • forgiveness
    • children from one's own wife
    • purity of conduct
    • avoidance of quarrel
    • simplicity
    • maintenance of dependents
    If one has a keen eye, these 9 are implied within the 4 puruṣārtha.

But yajvan, is there some debt I owe ? ( i.e. an inherent responsibility that arises from being human ). Let's look at one.
    ṛṇa ( or riNa) - is anything due , obligation , duty , debt

We are informed in the taittirīya saṁhitā (6.3.10.5), of the kṛṣṇa yajur veda of ṛṇa-traya , or 3 debts that a brāhmaṇa owes:
    • brahmacarya or 'study of the vedas' to the ṛṣi-s
    • yajña (sacrifice and worship) to the devatā-s
    • offspring ( a son) to the pitṛ-s ( pitri-s or ancestors)
    Then a 4th was added in the śatapatha brāhmaṇa ( 1.7.2.1-6) ; it calls out the 3 debts then adds a fourth: a debt unto mankind called manuṣa ṛṇa. This is benevolence to mankind. There is also a 5th ṛṇa called out as hospitality to guests. The only place I have found this was in the mahābhārata.

The mahābhārata also calls out the ~duties~ of the other varṅa. So if we are looking for lists, let our śāstra-s be the guiding light.

But let me say without any reservation and with no doubts ( not even one iota ¹) that the greatest good (mahasattva) comes to all when one comes to be re-established in one's own SELF; it is considered cloud pouring virtue.

iti śivaṁ

words
    • varṅa - class, tribe, order
    • iota - 'not the slightest amount' ; aṇu - finest, minute, infinitesimal

यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Excellent post, Yajvan ji. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalicharan Tuvij View Post
    Namaste,

Only 2:-
    1. What interactions did you have today with Hindus that you personally know and care about. That is, family and friends.
    2. What interactions did you have today with Hindus that you don't know personally. This includes Hindu organisations, even this forum included (in case one is not here just to kill boredom ).

We can call these two as "strong" and "weak bonds", respectively. Or, "local" and "global" operations, respectively.

The first has an "additive" effect whilst the latter has a "multiplicative" effect, so clearly both are equally vital.

And since the OP doesn't mention about defining any thing, such as "who is a Hindu" , or what "these two responsibilities are like", there is really no need to go into that. Because, interaction is more important: content within them automatically developes thence.

The question, therefore, is where do we stand in regard to these two points.

KT
    Namaste KT ji,

Just now I noticed your post.

As suggested by you, then, a comprehensive list of 'responsibilities' for a Hindu would then include 2 major categories - i) Responsibilities to one's kith and kin ii) Responsibilities to the society.

It would have been great to arrive at relevant points based on the above criteria. Since I just thought of points as and when they occured to them and posted them, I did not think of any particular grouping or order. It would have been really nice to have taken your approach right from the beginning.

Thank you for the contribution.

Regards,

Viraja

Following the 'Abhishekam' thread, I thought of this important responsibility that every Hindu should perform (and adding a little observation for the same):

17. 'Charity begins at home' - Sure, our agamas mandate abhishekam using dravyas, milk, curd, but on our part we can make sure we are being frugal and mindful of spending just the right quantity of these food substances as so many are going starving in the world. Sure, it can be argued that there are so many other more important points to address for world reform. But like I said, 'Charity begins at home'. Most people will not go out of the way to address pressing world issues and feeding the orphan but if they choose to be mindful of the amount of milk and curd they spend on abhisheka and make sure to avoid excess, then they can accomplish it easily without a second thought. Irrespective of whether milk and curd alone prove as sufficient staple for the malnourished, the bottom line is that no poor soul can get any of these products for free at the shop. It takes money to buy them and it takes work to generate this money. So we should all respect this work - of tending to the cattle, of caring for them through their sickness, of milking, of purifying it, making it to the market, purchasing it, carrying it to the abhisheka... It is not just time is money, work is money and Hindus should respect this work and make charity win at homefront first.

Pranam.

Thread Information