Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Define the responsibilities of a Hindu

Define the responsibilities of a Hindu

Namaste,

So far we have seen in many threads very many definitions on who is a Hindu and who is not.

My question is not the above, rather I would like to know 'What would be the mission or responsibilities of a Hindu'?

I have a short list to get this started:

1. To spread the word, and encourage people to become vegetarian - in other words, this can be stated as 'commitment' to the mission of ahimsa. Many devout scholars of Hinduism, such as Shri A.M.Rajagopalan of Kumudam Jyotish share this view - many devout Hindus view that playing one's part in making vegetarianism succeed by constantly urging others is one of the pure goals of being a Hindu.

2. Raising the awareness of taking care of one's parents and aged people.

3. Raising awareness of doing duties to one's pitrus - such as offering them tarpanam, etc.

My list stops here, as I cannot think of other responsibilities of a Hindu. Can you think of other points? If so, please add to the list.

Thank you.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: Define the responsibilities of a Hindu

Few more:

4. Doing 'athithi seva' - warmly inviting and caring for the guest. 'athithi devo bhava' (Sanskrit: अतिथि देवो भवः; English: 'The guest is God' or 'Guest become God').

5. To look out sincerely for a competent Guru. And to serve him and learn from him one's sampradaya sincerely.

6. Do daily aradhana to one's chosen ishta-devata.

_/\_

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    'What would be the mission or responsibilities of a Hindu'?
    Only 2:-
    1. What interactions did you have today with Hindus that you personally know and care about. That is, family and friends.
    2. What interactions did you have today with Hindus that you don't know personally. This includes Hindu organisations, even this forum included (in case one is not here just to kill boredom ).

We can call these two as "strong" and "weak bonds", respectively. Or, "local" and "global" operations, respectively.

The first has an "additive" effect whilst the latter has a "multiplicative" effect, so clearly both are equally vital.

And since the OP doesn't mention about defining any thing, such as "who is a Hindu" , or what "these two responsibilities are like", there is really no need to go into that. Because, interaction is more important: content within them automatically developes thence.

The question, therefore, is where do we stand in regard to these two points.

KT
    Things to remember:

1. Life = yajña
    2. Depth of Āstika knowledge is directly proportional
    to the richness of Sanskrit it is written in
    3. Āstika = Bhārata ("east") / Ārya ("west")
    4. Varṇa = tripartite division of Vedic polity
    5. r = c. x²
    where,
    r = realisation
    constant c = intelligence
    variable x = bhakti

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Namaste,

So far we have seen in many threads very many definitions on who is a Hindu and who is not.

My question is not the above, rather I would like to know 'What would be the mission or responsibilities of a Hindu'?

I have a short list to get this started:

1. To spread the word, and encourage people to become vegetarian - in other words, this can be stated as 'commitment' to the mission of ahimsa. Many devout scholars of Hinduism, such as Shri A.M.Rajagopalan of Kumudam Jyotish share this view - many devout Hindus view that playing one's part in making vegetarianism succeed by constantly urging others is one of the pure goals of being a Hindu.

2. Raising the awareness of taking care of one's parents and aged people.

3. Raising awareness of doing duties to one's pitrus - such as offering them tarpanam, etc.

My list stops here, as I cannot think of other responsibilities of a Hindu. Can you think of other points? If so, please add to the list.

Thank you.
    I see it ( quite ) differently...
    1. To spread the word is to be the word. One's behavior should not contradict one's beliefs. Encouraging people with the intent of changing them ( as I see it) is no less then the door-to-door sales man.
    2. Raising awareness is done simply by raising one's own level of consciousness. When we encounter people , that level of awareness will be there and engaged. We change the world by changing ourselves.
    3. Last , and of all the things that are of great import, is to come to know your own Self (parātman). Just this one thing all else is accomplished. All right actions occur from this level of Being.
    Just as one pulls a chair with one leg the whole chair follows, like that... knowing one's Self in full, all the qualities of dharma are invigorated. One becomes the beacon of light within the community. If one remains silent only good occurs; if one speaks , only good occurs.

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

I see it ( quite ) differently...
    1. To spread the word is to be the word. One's behavior should not contradict one's beliefs. Encouraging people with the intent of changing them ( as I see it) is no less then the door-to-door sales man.
    2. Raising awareness is done simply by raising one's own level of consciousness. When we encounter people , that level of awareness will be there and engaged. We change the world by changing ourselves.
    3. Last , and of all the things that are of great import, is to come to know your own Self (parātman). Just this one thing all else is accomplished. All right actions occur from this level of Being.
    Just as one pulls a chair with one leg the whole chair follows, like that... knowing one's Self in full, all the qualities of dharma are invigorated. One becomes the beacon of light within the community. If one remains silent only good occurs; if one speaks , only good occurs.

iti śivaṁ
    Dear Yajvan ji,

Thanks for your reply. I carefully read your reply and I have questions.

i) To spread the word is to be the word. One's behavior should not contradict one's beliefs. Encouraging people with the intent of changing them ( as I see it) is no less then the door-to-door sales man.

On this point above, let us say I am observing something/following some good practice keenly. Then do I have the right to recommend the same to others? OR NOT? To say more precisely, if I follow vegetarianism for its ahimsa, then (because I'm following it correctly), do I then have the right to advice others about it or not?

ii) Raising awareness is done simply by raising one's own level of consciousness. When we encounter people , that level of awareness will be there and engaged. We change the world by changing ourselves.

This is absolutely true. I agree 100%.

iii) Last , and of all the things that are of great import, is to come to know your own Self (parātman). Just this one thing all else is accomplished. All right actions occur from this level of Being.[/SIZE][/FONT]

I have questions on this one, Yajvan ji. About 99% of us are ordinary people. To us, 'knowing the self' means nothing more than daily aradhana of one's chosen ishta-devata and practice other guidelines for a 'role-model' behavior fit for a Hindu. So in a cyclic manner, the question comes back again -> to most of us ordinary 'aspiring' Hindus, what then is the 'role-model' behavior?

Thank you,

Viraja

How about these for points 7 and 8:

7. To yearn for and undertake a pilgrimage to take a dip in the holy Ganges atleast once in lifetime.

8. When possible, to own a cow and to take care of it.

9. To fight against the denigration of Hindu deities.

10. To help poor females get married, atleast donate a 'Mangalsutra' or gold to make one.

11. If man, give equal rights to the spouse. If woman, revere (good) husband as equal to god.

12. Offer food to birds/crows.

13. When possible, grow a plantain tree in the backyard.

14. Observe fasts on holy days.

Last edited by Viraja; 19 August 2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Added point 14 after message #7 in this thread.

Vannakkam Viraja: Nice thread. I do believe duties vary by the individual. Here in the west, we have the duty to bring it with us, keep it alive, so temple building for future generations is right up there as a community seva.

On the personal level, I think you've basically covered it all. Some consider the pancha nitya karmas as our basic duties. http://www.hindunet.org/day_as_hindu...tya_karmas.htm

Aum Namasivaya

Thank you, EM ji, your message and link enriches this thread. (I went through the 'pancha nitya karmas', I can say I'm trying to follow them all except for one, which I don't follow any bit - to observe fasts on holy days. I'm adding this as my point 14. ) Regards.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté
    Dear Yajvan ji,

Thanks for your reply. I carefully read your reply and I have questions.

i) To spread the word is to be the word. One's behavior should not contradict one's beliefs. Encouraging people with the intent of changing them ( as I see it) is no less then the door-to-door sales man.

On this point above, let us say I am observing something/following some good practice keenly. Then do I have the right to recommend the same to others? OR NOT? To say more precisely, if I follow vegetarianism for its ahimsa, then (because I'm following it correctly), do I then have the right to advice others about it or not?

ii) Raising awareness is done simply by raising one's own level of consciousness. When we encounter people , that level of awareness will be there and engaged. We change the world by changing ourselves.

This is absolutely true. I agree 100%.

iii) Last , and of all the things that are of great import, is to come to know your own Self (parātman). Just this one thing all else is accomplished. All right actions occur from this level of Being.[/size][/font]

I have questions on this one, Yajvan ji. About 99% of us are ordinary people. To us, 'knowing the self' means nothing more than daily aradhana of one's chosen ishta-devata and practice other guidelines for a 'role-model' behavior fit for a Hindu. So in a cyclic manner, the question comes back again -> to most of us ordinary 'aspiring' Hindus, what then is the 'role-model' behavior?
    Let me see if I can address your questions in a value added way, and with the patience and care you have presented them.

1. Following a practice ( like ahiṁsā, yama, niyama and the like) is a noble thing. We find it good for ourselves and we wish to share it with others. It is of most benefit when the other person is looking to improve vs. us wanting them to improve within our beliefs. We know it will be good for them to do this, but if this person is not ripe to learn/change then what becomes of it ? People are very sensitive to others correcting them. If not done at the right time/place issues are possible and your good intent falls on deaf ears and this person is pushed away . What then can one do ?
    It is in the skill of the offerer to know when this person is ready. So what then do we practice ? Kṣamā or kṣamāṃ - patience , forbearance . It is considered one of the sāmānya-dharmā-s i.e. an obligation to all.

2. We both agree on this... yet I list it as it supports merit to point 3.

3. You mention 99% of us are ordinary people. I submit to you that 100% of us are divine and have forgotten this truth. We waddle in activity, some sure of what they wish to accomplish , others not so much.
    To know the Self does not = to know your likes and dis-likes. It is to know your core Being, of which you cannot move away from. There is not 'you' and Being... you are none other then this Being from day one yet one scratches his/her head on this.
    And what then should your sādhana¹ entail ? To find this fundamental truth and live it. All other dharma-s flow from this essential point.
    Ārādhanā (worship, adoration) is fine and good and gives one support. But recall this word ārādhanā also carries the definition of self-surrender. It is hidden in ' + adhana' of ārādhanā.
    • = granting or bestowing ( also means yielding)
    • adhana = means destitute/absence of wealth. That which is given up
    • hana = killing
    It is the notion of giving-up the lower self ( the field of diversity, of smallness, duality). Please do not infer the giving up of wealth from this commentary.
    You see ultimate worship ( ārādhanā ) is when one surrenders one's self to the Self ( Supreme). This is not by words ( although it cannot hurt), but by one's practice of finding out who you really are. Total surrender is to become the one that is adored 100% without a trace of 'me-ness', this ego-sense that lives within the field of duality and does not know its own essential nature.

You mention,
    to most of us ordinary 'aspiring' Hindus, what then is the 'role-model' behavior?
    I take my support from the mahābhārata:
    Yudhiṣṭhira (Yudhishtrhira) is asking questions of bhīṣma-ji in the anusasana parvan section of mahābhārata. Yudhiṣṭhira asks bhīṣma numerious questions - these are all the questions you are posing in general. Yet with some additional questions bhīṣma tells yudhiṣṭhira, here comes bṛ́haspáti (brihaspati or brahmanaspati) - none else is better then explaining the matter that you have requested.

Yudhiṣṭhira asks multiple questions - this begins with section CXI of the anusasana parvan. Yet the one that is the intent of this conversation is in section CXIII .
    Yudhiṣṭhira asks, 'absence of injury (ahiṁsā), the observance of yajya (worship), meditation,etc. - which one of these are filled with the greatest merit for the the individual ?

Bṛ́haspáti talks of the merits of these virtues, yet says the following: One should never do that to another which one regards as injurious to one's own self. He continues and says , this in brief is the rule of dharma.
    Just prior to this statement bṛ́haspáti says, that man who regards all creatures as his own self, and behaves towards them as towards one-self laying aside the rod of chastisement and completely subjugating his wrath, succeeds in attaining to happiness.

Good ( sattva) comes to the person, to others , and to the environment in one fell-swoop. If one is possessed of the Self by definition he/she experiences others as an extension of their own Being... what actions would one perform then knowing that one is doing these actions to their own Self? This is the brilliance and the practical POV that is offered.

iti śivaṁ

1. sādhana - bringing about , carrying out , accomplishment , fulfilment , completion ; leading straight to the goal.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information