Thread: Mother Ganges

Mother Ganges

Namaste,

Though I am thousands of miles away from the River Ganges, it seems Mother Ganges is already helping me. My pilgrimage has already begun, even if it takes me years to get there. Basically I saw a documentary about Varanasi, maybe 9 or 10 months ago, and ever since then I have been thinking about the city, the river and the goddess. I knew I had to prepare myself for this journey, that the journey itself is an act of preparation, purification, cleansing as much as taking a dip in the holy river.

After this short time I already look back on the person I was 6 months ago and the progress that has been made is remarkable. It has not been easy, not in the slightest, but I am slowly getting there. I won't go into too many personal details, but my life is now meat-free, fish-free, liquor-free and other intoxicant-free. Though I'm not totally free of nicotine, I've cut down to 4 or 5 cigarettes a day and can see the end in sight. I have also faced up to 2 or 3 incredibly difficult situations in my life, some of which go back decades, and I am now working through them. I still have stressful money difficulties, but I am back working, too (albeit on terrible pay). Personally I consider this a minor miracle and my life is heading in the right direction. Thanks, from afar, Banaras.

If anyone can share scriptural references to the river, their own stories about Ganga Ma, their experiences with pilgrimage to Varanasi or the Ganges, or pilgrimage as a state of being, that would be much appreciated.

All best.

P.S. I feel a bit silly posting this, but that's something else i'm working on - getting over my ego!

Re: Mother Ganges

Namaste Ji,

that the journey itself is an act of preparation, purification, cleansing as much as taking a dip in the holy river.

Well said.

Thanks for sharing your experience.I haven't been to Varanasi yet.I hope your pilgrimage will make you happy and transform you.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Re: Mother Ganges

Namaste,

Your post has brought back, fondly into my memory, of bathing at Ma Ganga 28 yrs ago - when I was 14. Some memories stay with us forever, and to me, the memory of bathing in river Ganga at Haridwar, Uttarkand, has remained fresh in my memory, and I can still remember the place as I look at it in pictures now.

Ma Ganga is perhaps the only river that has connections with the trinity of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva.

Ganga is believed to be flowing even to this day in the heavens as 'Akash Ganga'.

The present Govt. in India has banned spitting on the holy river, which is a great policy!

Like you, I too wish I am blessed with a pilgrimage to bathe in the holy river again, this time in Kashi.

Wish you a wonderful trip when you make it to mother Ganga, and please let us know how your experience had been.

Regards.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Thread Information