Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What has gone wrong with Hinduism - Video

What has gone wrong with Hinduism - Video

Namaste all,

this is a video by a UK-based Hindu teacher you may not be aware of, his name is Jay Lakhani, I believe his background is Physics. He is the one who recently managed to change the backwards and catastrophic way hinduism is taught in schools in England. I was watching this video and enjoyed it, with the sentiment that you may also I am sharing the link. Have a good day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayax...YadOQ&index=55

Re: What has gone wrong with Hinduism - Video

Namaste,

Thanks for the link to the video. We all need to see this and as the priest says, export the idea back to India.

Pranam.

These are elitist ramblings of someone who is intoxicated with his own intellectualism. I did not listen beyond four minutes, because it was unbearable to listen to so much nonsense. He diverges the question to rant about how his sanitized neo-vedantic Hinduism is superior to the mundane beliefs of the uneducated Hindu masses.

The questioner is a dishonest individual who is trying to make Hinduism look bad. You can't honestly believe that if Hindus stopped spending money on religious pursuits, poverty will be eliminated from India and the rest of the world. The question is only raised to make Hindus feel guilty about religion.

If I spend money on flowers and paraphernalia for worship, this fool asks me what's wrong with me knowing that some beggar is starving on the streets. But where is he questioning the intentions of the person who shops for the latest smartphone and designer jeans? Can you not see the double standards here?

How much money is paid to soccer players? Is this fool going to confront the FIFA? Is he going to confront the catholic church? Is he going to confront banks, governments and insurance companies? No, he won't. But he felt the need to belittle Hinduism and Hindus suck it up like candy, responding with an apologetic attitude. Like some sort of fetish.

What has gone wrong with Hinduism is exactly people like this Jay Lakhani who will say anything to please Sahib Ji, as he does here: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2010/jan/18/hindu-open-air-cremation

Yes, that's right. Your hero of the day is opposed to a Hindu's right to perform open air cremations. He is so ashamed of this custom that he wants the law to forbid it. And we should export his ideology back to India, nonetheless.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 06 July 2014 at 05:02 PM.

Pranam Sahas

+1 for above,
    I also can't listen to this clown masquerading as an expert in Hindu dharma.
    I suppose he has his audience that's why he has a platform on Astha channel.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Namaste,

I guess I was not quite paying as much attention to it as others. I got some tangential message about too many temples without taking care of the needy. In some cases that parallels the cultural centers/temples in the US. Lot of money is spent on those kind of structures and none on building a senior retirement housing facility or other similar places for the needy. Perhaps I need to revisit the video.

Pranam.

Vannakkam: I have two problems with videos like this. The first is a focus on the negative. Many Hindu temples in India run great charities right alongside their temples. This is rarely mentioned, if ever, giving more fodder to Abrahamic based NGOs to go in and 'provide' conversion in the guise of charity. The largest volunteer army in the world is in the RSS. Did I say VOLUNTEER?

The second problem is no solution is offered up, other than some vague mention that some people ought to change their ways. Well, yeah, that's not to hard to figure.

But Believer, some temples here are also concerned about seniors, and are doing stuff. Here's a nice sounding place. http://blog.ourparents.com/2013/02/2...an-immigrants/

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    These are elitist ramblings of someone who is intoxicated with his own intellectualism. I did not listen beyond four minutes, because it was unbearable to listen to so much nonsense. He diverges the question to rant about how his sanitized neo-vedantic Hinduism is superior to the mundane beliefs of the uneducated Hindu masses.

The questioner is a dishonest individual who is trying to make Hinduism look bad. You can't honestly believe that if Hindus stopped spending money on religious pursuits, poverty will be eliminated from India and the rest of the world. The question is only raised to make Hindus feel guilty about religion.

If I spend money on flowers and paraphernalia for worship, this fool asks me what's wrong with me knowing that some beggar is starving on the streets. But where is he questioning the intentions of the person who shops for the latest smartphone and designer jeans? Can you not see the double standards here?

How much money is paid to soccer players? Is this fool going to confront the FIFA? Is he going to confront the catholic church? Is he going to confront banks, governments and insurance companies? No, he won't. But he felt the need to belittle Hinduism and Hindus suck it up like candy, responding with an apologetic attitude. Like some sort of fetish.

What has gone wrong with Hinduism is exactly people like this Jay Lakhani who will say anything to please Sahib Ji, as he does here: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2010/jan/18/hindu-open-air-cremation

Yes, that's right. Your hero of the day is opposed to a Hindu's right to perform open air cremations. He is so ashamed of this custom that he wants the law to forbid it. And we should export his ideology back to India, nonetheless.
    Namaste,

This is a short clip cut from a larger talk; and one of which was a casual conversation. In various videos he has spoke of how important and beautiful temples are to the ancient and modern Hindu. I am sure if you tried to give a lecture about your views on Hinduism you wouldn't please the entire demographic and would get responses similar to the one you have written. I hope you didn't expect him to be sharp enough to cover economic, spiritual, political and moral bases with extreme accuracy. I'm sure when most people watch the video, they wouldn't feel like he is attacking a temple-worshipper or someone who loves story (as do I), but he is trying to point out a common issue among us which I have personally noticed. He is neither my ''hero'' by any stretch of the imagination I found out about his work because without his effort we would still be taught a colonialised and heavily european understanding of Hinduism in schools that I was put through. That the teachers would openly laugh it, and the students around me would constantly snigger and bash fun at. I didn't know about the ''open-air cremation'' debacle and admittedly that makes no sense, but it just amuses me when all of you accuse someone of jumping to conclusions when you are doing nothing but the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    Pranam Sahas

+1 for above,
    I also can't listen to this clown masquerading as an expert in Hindu dharma.
    I suppose he has his audience that's why he has a platform on Astha channel.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Namaste,

I don't know much about Jay Lakhani, but please remind me where he claims to be an expert in Hindu Dharma?

Quote Originally Posted by IcyCosmic View Post
    I found out about his work because without his effort we would still be taught a colonialised and heavily european understanding of Hinduism in schools that I was put through. That the teachers would openly laugh it, and the students around me would constantly snigger and bash fun at. I didn't know about the ''open-air cremation'' debacle and admittedly that makes no sense, but it just amuses me when all of you accuse someone of jumping to conclusions when you are doing nothing but the same.
    He is actually trying to shove a Sahib approved and sanitized version of Hinduism down your throat. He is ashamed of Hinduism and wants to cover it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    He is actually trying to shove a Sahib approved and sanitized version of Hinduism down your throat. He is ashamed of Hinduism and wants to cover it up.
    What gives you this idea? Because he defended the british benefit scheme and the net given to the poor? Indian people do usually have a lofty perception of europeans due to a disconnect from their inherent royalty but that is quite a hefty claim you are making. The curriculum he has arranged for Key Stage 1 students (Primary School) all the way up to Key Stage 3 (High School) does not exclude rituals/prayers/temple-worship or idol worship and speaks of them highly. He may be a fanboy of Swami Vivekananda but I am surprised that you have the uncanny psychic ability to know said individuals motives and what he is attempting to shove down my throat. I guess Swami Vivekananda was also trying to do the same then with your line of logic.

Thread Information