Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "tat tvam asi" tattoo

Arrow "tat tvam asi" tattoo

Got it done last month...

Sahasranama and Vimoh (from this forum) helped me in getting the spelling right since I used a custom font for this and had to re-write from a table that correlates latin characters to devanagari ones.

Hope everyone is OK. Specially Eastern Mind!

Re: "tat tvam asi" tattoo

Namaste - I am not a fan of tatoos ... but I must admit, that one looks good.

I once saw the brit David Beckham un San Jose, and he had a tatoo with devanagri writ. Do you know who I am talking about? The football (soccer) player. He played for the Los Angeles Galaxy and came into San Jose CA. Since you are into these types of tatoos I thought you might know.

Om Namah Sivaya

Vannakkam: I sure hope they weren't playing some cruel trick on you, and it says something else like, "Tricked You, Pietro."

Aum Namasivaya

EM, it was a nice lesson in basic sanskrit spelling, learning about the vowels, virama, ligatures. I hope I didn't trick myself, .

Hari Om

Namaste Pietro, good to see you again on HDF. Knowing you via your conversations here over time, the counsel you were given, what you shared as learning experience, it is smokn sir.

Om Namah ShivaYa

FFTW

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
    EM, it was a nice lesson in basic sanskrit spelling, learning about the vowels, virama, ligatures. I hope I didn't trick myself, .
    It's correct, but you forgot the daNDa/DaNDA at the end, jk...
    படைபோர் புக்கு முழங்கும்அப் பாஞ்சசன்னியமும் பல்லாண்டே
    May your pA~nchajanya shankha which reverberates on the battlefield, last thousands upon thousands of years...
    http://archives.mirroroftomorrow.org...anchajanya.jpg

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Jaskaran Singh View Post

It's correct, but you forgot the daNDa/DaNDA at the end, jk...
    The notion of daṇḍa¹ that you suggest... you may mean virāma or the stop (the end of a word or sentence); or you may mean pūrṇavirāma. They look like this:

virāma |

pūrṇavirāma ||

they indicate the half way point | or the completion || of a stanza.

iti śivaṁ

1. daṇḍa - a stick , staff , rod
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namast�

The notion of daṇḍa� that you suggest... you may mean virāma or the stop (the end of a word or sentence); or you may mean pūrṇavirāma. They look like this:

virāma |

pūrṇavirāma ||

they indicate the half way point | or the completion || of a stanza.

iti śivaṁ

1. daṇḍa - a stick , staff , rod
    praNAm,
    Well, actually pUrNavirAm is a term which was invented relatively recently (the 19th century, most likely) from a "saMskRitization" of a English term (full-stop), kind of like the word pradhAnmantrI (Prime Minister), and as such isn't technically a proper term to use when referring to the punctuation of saMskRita pAda-s (you're certainly not going to find it in the amarakoshaH, that's for sure).
    Also,
    daNDa (।)= pUrNavirAm
    dvidaNDa (॥)= dIrghvirAm (used mainly in saMskRitam, not used very often in hindI, only in dohAs and such, like those of tulsidAs in his rAmcharitmAnas)
    I hope that cleared up any misconceptions.
    jai shrI kRiShNa
    Last edited by Jaskaran Singh; 04 April 2014 at 08:27 PM.
    May your pA~nchajanya shankha which reverberates on the battlefield, last thousands upon thousands of years...

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Jaskaran Singh View Post
    praNAm,
    Well, actually pUrNavirAm is a term which was invented relatively recently (the 19th century, most likely) from a "saMskRitization" of a English term (full-stop), kind of like the word pradhAnmantrI (Prime Minister), and as such isn't technically a proper term to use when referring to the punctuation of saMskRita pAda-s (you're certainly not going to find it in the amarakoshaH, that's for sure).
    Also,
    daNDa (।)= pUrNavirAm
    dvidaNDa (॥)= dIrghvirAm (used mainly in saMskRitam, not used very often in hindI, only in dohAs and such, like those of tulsidAs in his rAmcharitmAnas)
    I hope that cleared up any misconceptions.
    jai shrI kRiShNa

dvidaNDa ( or dvidaṇḍa ) makes perfect sense i.e. dvi = 2 + daṇḍa (stick) or || -and- virāma = a stop or termination; it is also a special character small oblique stroke placed under a consonant to denote that it has no vowel inherent to it.
    Yet I am not clear on dIrghvirAm - we can ~see~ it contains virāma within it (dIrghvirAm) yet I am at a loss ( and look to learn) of this word and its applications.

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namast�

dvidaNDa ( or dvidaṇḍa ) makes perfect sense i.e. dvi = 2 + daṇḍa (stick) or || -and- virāma = a stop or termination; it is also a special character small oblique stroke placed under a consonant to denote that it has no vowel inherent to it.
    Yet I am not clear on dIrghvirAm - we can ~see~ it contains virāma within it (dIrghvirAm) yet I am at a loss ( and look to learn) of this word and its applications.

iti śivaṁ
    praNAm,
    Perhaps this might be of help (Monier-Williams definition of दीर्घ):

दीर्घ mf(आ)n. (compar. द्र्/आघीयस् , superl. द्र्/आघिष्ठ [qq. vv.] ; rarely दीर्घतर [ Pan5c. iv , 13�14] and �तम [ BhP. vii , 5 , 44]) long (in space and time) , lofty , high , tall
    deep RV. AV. Br. &c
    long (in prosody) Pra1t. Mn. &c
    दीर्घम् ind. long , for a long time (superl. �अतमम् BhP. iii , 1 , 37)

Anyway, as I was saying, the "।" sign would be called as a daNDa in saMskRitam (as you said before, virAma refers to the halant in saMskRitam). "।" is referred to as pUrNavirAm in hindI (although in some dialects like avadhI they call it daNDa), also as pUrNavirAm in nepAlI, and as just virAm in marAThI.
    Last edited by Jaskaran Singh; 05 April 2014 at 03:53 PM.

Thread Information