Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plus-size hindu clothing?

Plus-size hindu clothing?

Hari Om!

I was wondering where i could find plus size women's Sarees or Kurtis or Salwar Kameez or Churidar Kameez either custom made or readymade plus-size without having to sift through a TON of stuff. It is a pain shopping at Utsav because most of their stuff goes up to a bust measurement of 40" and mine is 48". My hips are 52" just to give you an idea of the 2 largest parts (waist 44") I need shipping to the US too!

Also what is customary for what occasion? I need to be educated in Hindu clothing.... when do you wear a Saree (i only have casual cheap ones), when do you wear a Salwar/Churidar Kameez, when do you wear a Kurti and what other kinds of clothes are out there? I tend to wear Sarees because that's all i have really (My Churidar ripped. the Kameez is intact though! Can i wear the Kameez by itself with regular pants? I only had one Churidar Kameez..... I ordered 2 more though! But they're gonna take till the end of January to get here )

Jai Ganesha!

Re: Plus-size hindu clothing?

Catnip,

Have you ever tried Cbazaar? From their Salwar Kameez section, if you choose 'View All' and then limit the selection to your size, then it gives you a large collection of Salwar Kameez to choose from... I have been satisfied with their collection, since I am a plus-size too, I see quite a variety there... They also make custom-made blouses but I have not tried purchasing them so far.. I have tried the custom-made Salwar Kameez twice and both the times the measurements came out perfect.. They want you to measure yourself accurately and give them at a page you submit once you make the payment - for salwar kameez that would be shoulder, bust, waist, kameez length, your height and various other measurements. They usually take around 1 month to ship.

There are also no hard and fast rules as to when you should wear a Sari and when you should wear a Salwar Kameez... usually for gatherings that are more South Indian in nature, I would wear a Sari (as Salwar Kameez is originally a North Indian dress) and that of a North Indian nature, I wear Salwar Kameez. To temple, one can wear either, unless you visit some South Indian temples that restrict female devotees only to Sari or Pavadai in case of children (I think this is the rule at Kerala Ananthapadmanabaswami Temple). For celebrating festivals of a spiritual nature at home (involving various pujas) I usually wear some simple salwar kameez as I feel very comfortable in them to be able to move around freely.

I hope my answer is little bit helpful.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Thank you very much! I will try that store! Do you know if the top of a salwar kameez can be worn with like........ black slacks, instead of what it came with because my bottoms ripped but it was kind of an expensive salwar kameez....

Quote Originally Posted by catnip View Post
    Thank you very much! I will try that store! Do you know if the top of a salwar kameez can be worn with like........ black slacks, instead of what it came with because my bottoms ripped but it was kind of an expensive salwar kameez....
    I think that would be absolutely perfect! (I think you are asking if it is ok to wear this combination for spiritual/religious occasions... btw, here in USA, I noticed many people wearing casual pants and shirts even for pujas at the temple... especially during very cold seasons...).

I don't see much in my size at Cbazaar.... and a lot of the ones in my size are Anarkalis... and EXPENSIVVVVVVVVVVVE!!!!!! And of course for sarees you have to hunt them down haha. I was just asking in general as well. I also want to know what i can do for daily wear!

I don't see much in my size at Cbazaar.... and a lot of the ones in my size are Anarkalis... and EXPENSIVVVVVVVVVVVE!!!!!! And of course for sarees you have to hunt them down haha. I was just asking in general as well. I also want to know what i can do for daily wear!
    Yes, they are quite expensive. But during Diwali time, they had a lot of stock at 40% off and also they had a buy 2, get 3 offer (buy 2 products, get the 3rd free). Since I don't have the option of someone sending clothes to me from India, I have to settle down to online shopping like this... But during this 40% off times, I did see some good pieces for as low as $44. (An example: http://www.cbazaar.com/salwar-kameez...a821223b.html).

Alternatively, there is another site sareegalaxy.com, but they are pricy too.

You can also try 786shop.com (It is a Pakistani salwar place).

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Yes, they are quite expensive. But during Diwali time, they had a lot of stock at 40% off and also they had a buy 2, get 3 offer (buy 2 products, get the 3rd free). Since I don't have the option of someone sending clothes to me from India, I have to settle down to online shopping like this... But during this 40% off times, I did see some good pieces for as low as $44. (An example: http://www.cbazaar.com/salwar-kameez...a821223b.html).

Alternatively, there is another site sareegalaxy.com, but they are pricy too.

You can also try 786shop.com (It is a Pakistani salwar place).
    Cool! i'll try those! I got the saree i just ordered from utsav in the mail and they totally messed up the blouse or i messed up my measurements (i think they messed up the blouse!) i'll tell you in pm how they messed it up if you want... I'm beginning to think utsav is just terrible.....

Cool! i'll try those! I got the saree i just ordered from utsav in the mail and they totally messed up the blouse or i messed up my measurements (i think they messed up the blouse!) i'll tell you in pm how they messed it up if you want... I'm beginning to think utsav is just terrible.....
    I don't know how good Cbazaar is with making Sari blouses. My Salwar Kameez measurements fit me quite perfectly. I was also very apprehensive how it was going to turn out as we pay so much... For Sari blouse, I think it is wiser to look for a local Indian tailor.

Yeah....... i'm starting to think so too. I'm going to order just fabric for that from now on. I lift my arms and it shows parts that should not be seen! i'm wondering if i should just wear a yellow cami under it. It is georgette so you can see through it slightly and ugh....... you can tell even if i cover the blouse! Got any solution tips? i've already tried pinning the bottom of the blouse together tightly and it helped but it shows a little still.......

there. is. NOTHING by me. nothing in my entire state. looks like online is the way to go. or DIY

Thread Information