Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hindu clothes to wear travelling in India

Hindu clothes to wear travelling in India

Hi folks, I'm planning another trip to India next year and intend to wear Indian clothes most of the time. I prefer a kurta with paijamas and sandals plus gamucha; I've used a dhoti but it's not my first choice.

Any thoughts on clothing for me? Also

Can paijamas in colours other than white be found?
    Are there any colour schemes to think about?
    Is there a preferred way of wearing the gamucha?

I've seen Muslims wearing a kurta and paijamas, but with a prayer cap- is there any other difference in the clothes?- see the picture below.

I've also seen women in the same- I think the clothes have different names but are they basically the same?- see the picture below.

Am I right in saying that there are no specifically Hindu clothes, only Indian clothes? The only religious designators are tilaks, necklaces and bracelets?

Me giving a talk on travel

Be without the three gunas, O Arjuna

Re: Hindu clothes to wear travelling in India

Namaste.

I think that 2nd pic, would be great idea.

Thanks pal.

I like dhotis, plain white ones. They make ones nowadays where it's ready-made worn like pajamas, if you don't want to deal with the wrapping

Hi there, thanks.

At present I live near Hong Kong and planning to visit the large Hindu temple there in a few weeks- I'm hoping to buy a set of Indian clothes there.

Thanks again; yours Girisha.

Namaskar Girisha-ji,

This may be a late reply, but I though it worth replying. I am not sure about male dress, being female. But I was with a friend shopping for her Son and Husband in India in Sept. Almost everything was in white because the colors were expected to be dyed later by a person hired to dye the colors per the wish of the owner of the clothes. My friend and her co-sisters said this is common when not shopping in Western-style shops, and they also shopped for many Saris this way.

A western style shop she often buys from and buys for her Husband and Son from is Fab India - Kind of like The Gap in India. They have a lot of pre-colored closthes for men, at least in theor stores. I don't know if they ship to Hong Kong, but they ship to the US so I don't see why they wouldn't.

Pranam.
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Namaste Aanandinii, many thanks. I'll bear in mind those thoughts about dying clothes after purchase, thanks.

I'm presently working in barren China and looking to travel in India in the summer; as mentioned below I'll be visiting the Hindu temple in Hong Kong next month, looking for shops to add to my collection of Indian clothes. I'm totally and completely Indian and Hindu at heart...

Thanks again for your time, yours always, Girisha

Vannakkam: Keep in mind that clothes vary in India by geography. When I went, I wore veshti and a short sleeve shirt ALL the time, but that was in TN. Wear what locals wear, and if you're Hindu, try to wear what Hindus wear, not what other religions wear. That might put you 'suspect'.

Here in Canada, I recently ordered 2 veshtis from Krishna.com. They were shipped from India and arrived in 10 days. Even with shipping costs, it was probably 40% cheaper than I could have bought anywhere in Canada. My own city has no shops that sell the quality I was looking for.

For sure, if cost is a factor, wait until you get there.

Aum Namasivaya

Many thanks Eastern; I'll buy a dhoti/ veshti in India next time, and I might even favour it over the paijamas, not sure yet... Yours Girisha

Hey girisha first of all many thanks to you. In my view 2nd one is awesome. if you want to travel in india.

Thread Information