Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Define the responsibilities of a Hindu

Re: Define the responsibilities of a Hindu

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste KT ji,

Just now I noticed your post.

As suggested by you, then, a comprehensive list of 'responsibilities' for a Hindu would then include 2 major categories - i) Responsibilities to one's kith and kin ii) Responsibilities to the society.

It would have been great to arrive at relevant points based on the above criteria. Since I just thought of points as and when they occured to them and posted them, I did not think of any particular grouping or order. It would have been really nice to have taken your approach right from the beginning.

Thank you for the contribution.

Regards,

Viraja
    Namaste Viraja,

Thank you for noticing my post.

And yes that's what I meant: obligations to those Hindus that are near and dear to us, and obligations to those Hindus that we don't know about. I also called these "strong" and "weak" bonds respectively.

It is interesting to think how in India we Hindus - though pretty solid in terms of the strong bonds- are so lacking in terms of the weak bond; just take a look at how they are so disorganised religiously, culturally and politically in their own country to their own detriment.

On the other extreme of the spectrum are the non-native Hindus (non Indian Āstika-s) where all that we have is weak bonds- organisational efforts such as Hare Krishna etc- that have helped build a presence of Dharma in those lands. But the real challenge today is how al this is going to survive without the strong bonds, surely it is not hard to find many who are the alone Hindu in their families and their circles.
    Things to remember:

1. Life = yajña
    2. Depth of Āstika knowledge is directly proportional
    to the richness of Sanskrit it is written in
    3. Āstika = Bhārata ("east") / Ārya ("west")
    4. Varṇa = tripartite division of Vedic polity
    5. r = c. x²
    where,
    r = realisation
    constant c = intelligence
    variable x = bhakti

Re: Define the responsibilities of a Hindu

Dear KT ji,

Those are excellent points. Please allow me to include your contribution on my list:

18. Concentrate on strengthening mutual/familial bonds: Hindus should strive for a harmonious family bondage and also be helpful in assisting other non-Indian Hindus arrive at the same.

19. Strengthen bonds with the society: Hindus should organize satsangs, etc and be a resource to extend helpfulness to those others who do not have enough strength within their families to function as successful Hindus.

KT ji, please feel to address and modify the above points.

Thank you.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Thread Information