Thread: Hinduism and Art/Popular Culture

Hinduism and Art/Popular Culture

Namaste everyone,

One of joys of being a Hindu is that I feel that it enriches my personal creativity and does not place bounds or restrictions on it. About a month ago I had a discussion with my friend about how religion should allow for creativity and in this process enrich our experience and lives. I am happy to see that Hinduism is now making a bigger mark in art/popular culture domain.

Recently, there have been some popular novels that are inspired by Hindu mythology. The series 'Immortals of Meluha' (& its 2 sequels) and the 'Krishna Key' come to mind. I have read the former and found it quite enjoyable, though many were quite upset with depiction of Shiva as a human.

The opening theme song of Battlestar Gallactica is the Gayatri Mantra.

What do you think of hinduism leaving its mark on popular culture ? Do you have other examples that you might want to share.

-Kumar

Re: Hinduism and Art/Popular Culture

I will add one more item to my list. I only very recently realized that the ending theme song of 'Matrix Revolutions' is the Asatoma Sadgamaya mantra.

Quote Originally Posted by kumar_s View Post
    Namaste everyone,

Recently, there have been some popular novels that are inspired by Hindu mythology. The series 'Immortals of Meluha' I have read the former and found it quite enjoyable, though many were quite upset with depiction of Shiva as a human.

-Kumar
    Namaste Ji,

My friends suggested that book.I read negative reviews by many people well versed in the scriptures ,so I decided not to read a book that would botch up the knowledge(very little ) I have.

Let us wait for the views of other members.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Not really pertaining to the art... but I noticed that our (Indian) yoga methods for physical fitness have found a way prominently in the West. I was pleasantly surprised to find 'Vinyasa Yoga', 'Heated Yoga', etc, being offered every week at my local gym (which is a popular chain here in the US) and when I attended one of those, even the music was 'Indian'- peaceful chants were being played.
    Last edited by Viraja; 31 July 2014 at 10:01 AM.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste,

It's been ages since I saw the movie, but the opening scene of "Garden State" with Zach Braff, shows the protagonist in an airplane looking like it's going through severe turbulence and going to crash (turns out it's just a dream). In the background you can hear a woman invoking Ganesha through song on the soundtrack: "Vakratunda Mahakaya..."

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

@Sunyata07 - I have not seen this movie. If I do I will watch out for that scene.

@Viraja - I have noticed that too. Ironically I have never gone to a Yoga camp in Canada although there are so many ads. I should try that sometime.

@Ram116040 - I know that many people who are familiar with stories of Shiva are unhappy with the fictional take on his life. But in my opinion that is whole point of the book. To use creativity and borrow from some of these amazing stories.

Need to add one more book to my list - Ashwin Sanghi's Krishna Key. Have not read the book, but it is on my to read list.

Om

All of Anirudh's Hindu God art is my personal fave. It is influenced by pop culture; namely video games and movies. Cool art to revel it.

http://molee.deviantart.com/gallery/

@IcyCosmic - I was unaware of this talented individual. I really like the Brahma poster/art.

I will add to the list - Vimanika comics http://vimanika.co.uk/
    They borrow from Hindu mythology. Something for the new age kids.

Thread Information