Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hindu Spiritual Name Inquiry

Re: Hindu Spiritual Name Inquiry

Dear Raven,

BTW Krsna means Dark..also at times called Shyam..Sky is called Akash or Gagan.

So a good name will be Gagan Shyam(Dark Sky) if you are really seeking to change your name.

Prabhuji Raven Wolf

It is very nice you are seeking a Hindu name. The best way to discover this, better than just "liking" something, is to first determine your Nakshatra. You will need to contact a Hindu jyotish (called "astrologer" in the West), and giving your birth date, time, location, sex, (any caste or gotra information but this is not required), he will let you know your Nakshatra. Mine for example is Krittika known in North India jyotish, known as Karthigai in South India jyotish.

Based upon this you can determine the first letter of your name.

You teacher, savant, Father, elder brother, Guru or a yogi fan then give your a list of Hindu names that start with that letter. For example, mune is "A".

At this juncture, once you have this information, then perhaps your tradition of "liking a name" can play a part, but from this list, you were not given a Hindu name by your parents so this is the method.

As some noted, there are many sects which do NOT require you to change your name as far as legal government documents. After all, these governments did not exist in 1200 AD, nor did passports, driver license, SSN etc.. To mean these "papers" mean nothing, there might be good reasons and avoiding expenses, or even in the case of some countries which hate Hindus or religion, not to even let such despots know. Your Hinduness is not definded by some stupid paper by The Government of Man. And if you take a naming rite, you have even taken the next step that oversees the "authority" of any government. That is my opinion. However, it is also my opinion that some sects legitimately and with authority of their Sampradaya will want you to change your name on these modern government papers. If you follow that sect, then please do so.

Your first step is to go to a jyotish. I can recommend one for you if you like, my personal jyotish, by email. Or you can seek your own. The list of letters based on your Nakshatra is easily available, since you are a Vaishnav then go to your temple or nearby Vishnu Lakshmi temple and contact the priest or a pujari about naming rites, he may be able to help you directly even if you have no teacher or Father or brother who can help you.

I can assure you, your name of Krishna is within your reach, all the best. I have several names, and many nicknames, A.K.A.s, and a petname as well. But to me, my name means nothing. But it does mean something to me in terms of when another thinks of me or speaks to me by a name, what is important to me is what they see or have the impression of or feel the vibration of the one on the otherside of that name. That is me, I value my reputation even if that is a karmi approach and not a savant. As they say, your name is your reputation. So even my "internet" name ShivaFan holds an importance in the sense some see or feel the other standing behind that name. A name of Krishna, becoming your monicker, certainly is a sweet and valuable gem.

Om Namah Sivaya

Your ever well wisher, "A" (ShivwFan)

Namaste and hello,

by the way Raven Wolf, I like your member name. My personal totem or animal is the Raven.
    ... by the way, the wolf and the Raven have a personal relation. The Raven will show the wolf where the prey is.
    Last edited by yajvan; 12 July 2014 at 07:42 PM.

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenwolf View Post
    Hare Krsna!

I have looked up Hindu names and found that "Keshav" also means Krsna, and "Akash" means Sky.
    Note kṛṣṇa is known by another name, keśava ( as he is called in the bhāgavad gītā) . It does not (technically) mean kṛṣṇa.
    Keśava is defined as one with long beautiful hair. On the surface we see this an attribute of one's presence. Yet if we go just a bit deeper we see this name composed of ka + a + īśa. We now have ka=brahmā + a = viṣṇu + īśa = śiva (ruler, master, lord).
    Hence keśava is none other then brahmā + viṣṇu + śiva

Let's take a look at this word kṛṣṇa. On the surface it means black or dark hued. Yet if we take the word apart we can look at it like this: kṛṣ + ṇa.
    • kṛṣ = to draw; to draw into one's power
    • ṇa = nirvṛti = complete satisfaction or happiness , bliss , pleasure , delight ; emancipation or nirvāṇa
    • ṇa = certainty; knowledge
    So kṛṣṇa can be seen as He that draws one into happiness, into delight, into nirvāṇa.

iti śivaṁ
    Last edited by yajvan; 12 July 2014 at 08:01 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

the notion of sky...
    • ākāśa - free or open space; we all call this sky at times.
      • avakāśa is to make room, and that is what ākāśa does, it makes room for things to exist.
    • space, śūnya , or void; this is not too far away from ākāśa yet some see this as different ( finer points pending)
    Yet another name for 'sky' is viha or nabha. There are more names like vyoman which is heaven , sky , atmosphere; and also suma. Suma is sky but mostly attributed to moon.

And there are more if there is interest.

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information