Thread: Gochar Phal

Hybrid View

Gochar Phal

Namaste,

Namaste,

I have a couple of doubts about gochar phal:

1) Since only Jupiter and Saturn stay in one sign for a significantly longer duration, must we only consider the transits of these two planets and ignore the rest?

2) But even so, what of the dasha/antardasha planets? They may be important, but since they change signs within 5 days or 15 days, what's the point? What I mean is, say moon is the dasha lord, what's the use in considering its transit when it's only going to stay in one house for 3 days?

I hope Yajvan and others could shed some light on this.

Astro

Re: Gochar Phal

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

It is always good to start with a definition - gocara phala
    • gocara - means a transit;
      • the movement of planets.
      • The transit from one house to another.
      • The transit of a planet from the lagna, from the moon, from each other. Yet this - not only from one house to another but from one nakṣatra to another.
      • A nakṣatra is asterism or constellation through which the moon passes and is called a lunar mansion.
    • phala - fruit , consequence , effect , result , ( positive or negative) , gain or loss, etc.
    So gocara phala is the fruit/result that occurs when a graha (~planet~) transits a house or nakṣatra or even a sensitive point in the chart.

With slow moving graha's the effects are longer , with faster moving graha's the effects are swift, decisive. This occurs as I have found for all graha's except for rahu. Rahu takes about 1.5 years to transit a house, yet its influence is quite swift and many times there little indication of its arrival.

praām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    This occurs as I have found for all graha's except for rahu. Rahu takes about 1.5 years to transit a house, yet its influence is quite swift and many times there little indication of its arrival.

praām
    Thanks, Yajvan. Could you explain the last part a bit? Do you mean to say that if rahu stays in one sign for 18 months (which is quite long), the effect won't be the evenly spread out for each month - and that 16 months, for instance, could be uneventful, and suddenly two months could produce drastic changes?

Also which houses are favorable for rahu's transit?
    Last edited by yajvan; 07 April 2011 at 09:54 AM.

hariḥ o
    ~~~~~~

namasté astrostudent (et.al)

Do you mean to say that if rahu stays in one sign for 18 months (which is quite long), the effect won't be the evenly spread out for each month - and that 16 months, for instance, could be uneventful, and suddenly two months could produce drastic changes?
    The point I was offering - 'slow transits' suggest influences that are gradual over time. Consider saturn or śanaiscara, śani शनि

This śana शनैस् means quietly , softly , gently , gradually. So we have śana as gradually, softly + cara चर moving, walking , wondering. Hence śani is considered śanaye kramati sa - the one possessing or containing ~ with the attribute~ (sa) who moves or proceeds ( krama) slowly (śani), quietly (śanais).

Now lets consider rāhu राहु
    rāhu is the ascending note ( north);rāhu means 'the seizer' ; What does he seize? The luminaries during an eclipse.
    rāhu is rooted in rabh रभ्- to desire vehemently to act rashly ; we will see this as we define rāhu's kāraka¹ traits.

Rāhu is a kāraka or indicator of worldly activities i.e. fame, greed, manipulation, obsessive-compulsive behavior.
    When rāhu is blemished then one may endure mass disease, dementia and inertia. Because of rāhu's compulsiveness rahu is known for its instance of actions and effects, randomness, uncontrolled growth, actions without wisdom or understanding. This is where one finds troubles, 'why did I do that!' or ' I don't believe what just occurred'.

It is said when rāhu's influences are used the right way, Rāhu can be instrumental in strengthening one's power and converting even the strongest enemy ( and traits) into a friend.

Now there is a story in the purāṇa-s¹ of rāhu drinking amṛta¹ ( nectar for immortality) at the Churning of the Ocean - called samudra manthan¹.
    This story can be found in the Śrīmad Bhāgavatam. The question for us is comprehension and wisdom ( or symbolism , saṃketa&#185 the story offers. Perhaps we can address this at a different time.

praṇām

words & references
    • from this HDF post: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4107&highlight=r%26%23257%3Bhu
    • kāraka कारक - 'instrumental in bringing about the action' ; in general , making or doing. In this conversation it is the grāhaka¹ ( the ~planet~) as one who produces, creates or influences a condition to unfold. Sanjay Rath is sympathetic to the notion of influences vs. directly controls on how the graha-s function.
    • samudra manthan:
      • samudra समुद्र(ocean or sea) - "gathering together of waters " , " the aerial waters " , " atmospheric ocean or sky"
      • manthan or mantha मन्थ- churning or stirring.
    • amṛta अमृत(some write amrita) - immortal , imperishable; world of immortality , heaven , eternity i.e. final emancipation
    • purāṇa पुराण- belonging to ancient or olden times , ancient , old : there are considered 18 principle purāṇas grouped in 3 divisions:
      • rājasa, exalting brahmā
      • sāttvika, exalting viṣṇu
      • tāmasa, exalting śiva
    • saṃketa संकेत- a hint , allusion , preconcerted sign or signal or gesture
    Last edited by yajvan; 07 April 2011 at 11:49 AM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ o
    ~~~~~~

namast astrostudent (et.al)

The point I was offering - 'slow transits' suggest influences that are gradual over time. Consider saturn or śanaiscara, śani शनि

This śana शनैस् means quietly , softly , gently , gradually. So we have śana as gradually, softly + cara चर moving, walking , wondering. Hence śani is considered śanaye kramati sa - the one possessing or containing ~ with the attribute~ (sa) who moves or proceeds ( krama) slowly (śani), quietly (śanais).

Now lets consider rāhu राहु
    rāhu is the ascending note ( north);rāhu means 'the seizer' ; What does he seize? The luminaries during an eclipse.
    rāhu is rooted in rabh रभ्- to desire vehemently to act rashly ; we will see this as we define rāhu's kāraka traits.

Rāhu is a kāraka or indicator of worldly activities i.e. fame, greed, manipulation, obsessive-compulsive behavior.
    When rāhu is blemished then one may endure mass disease, dementia and inertia. Because of rāhu's compulsiveness rahu is known for its instance of actions and effects, randomness, uncontrolled growth, actions without wisdom or understanding. This is where one finds troubles, 'why did I do that!' or ' I don't believe what just occurred'.

It is said when rāhu's influences are used the right way, Rāhu can be instrumental in strengthening one's power and converting even the strongest enemy ( and traits) into a friend.

Now there is a story in the purāṇa-s of rāhu drinking amṛta ( nectar for immortality) at the Churning of the Ocean - called samudra manthan.
    This story can be found in the Śrīmad Bhāgavatam. The question for us is comprehension and wisdom ( or symbolism , saṃketa) the story offers. Perhaps we can address this at a different time.

praṇām

words & references
    • from this HDF post: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4107&highlight=r%26%23257%3Bhu
    • kāraka कारक - 'instrumental in bringing about the action' ; in general , making or doing. In this conversation it is the grāhaka ( the ~planet~) as one who produces, creates or influences a condition to unfold. Sanjay Rath is sympathetic to the notion of influences vs. directly controls on how the graha-s function.
    • samudra manthan:
      • samudra समुद्र(ocean or sea) - "gathering together of waters " , " the aerial waters " , " atmospheric ocean or sky"
      • manthan or mantha मन्थ- churning or stirring.
    • amṛta अमृत(some write amrita) - immortal , imperishable; world of immortality , heaven , eternity i.e. final emancipation
    • purāṇa पुराण- belonging to ancient or olden times , ancient , old : there are considered 18 principle purāṇas grouped in 3 divisions:
      • rājasa, exalting brahmā
      • sāttvika, exalting viṣṇu
      • tāmasa, exalting śiva
    • saṃketa संकेत- a hint , allusion , preconcerted sign or signal or gesture
    Thanks again. Is there anything corresponding to rahu/ketu in this world? Other planets are present on the physical plane, is there any such representation for these nodes so that we can get a better idea of their nature?

Thread Information