Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seeing Gods in dreams

Re: Seeing Gods in dreams

More questions:

How does one attain the Self (atman)? Are the body and mind a vehicle for attaining the Self, for seeing beyond the impermanent body and mind? That seems to be what the various types of yoga are intended for. Is that what you are trying to say?

Is the Atman pure consciousness? How would you define consciousness? Would you define it as pure undefiled awareness?

I am feeling more comfortable with the notion of a supreme being. I would say that I am a monist/non-dualist.

Quote Originally Posted by explorer_of_the_mind View Post
    More questions:

How does one attain the Self (atman)? Are the body and mind a vehicle for attaining the Self, for seeing beyond the impermanent body and mind? That seems to be what the various types of yoga are intended for. Is that what you are trying to say?

Is the Atman pure consciousness? How would you define consciousness? Would you define it as pure undefiled awareness?

I am feeling more comfortable with the notion of a supreme being. I would say that I am a monist/non-dualist.
    Namaste Explorer,

Actually the Self is never un-attained. It is satasiddha. However, for some reason, the thoughts are said to have covered up the unlimited, vasana free, blissful pure knowledge subject called Atman -the Self. One is actually very near to it in deep sleep and one is That in Samadhi - when thoughts do not move but full consciousness is retained.

Atman is neither consciousness, nor non consciousness, not unconsciousness. It is not definable. Atman is one who has ghana consciousness (unparted consciousness). Various definitions are only indicative. And the best definition, as per my liking, is given in Mandukya Upanishad (Turiya - the advaita being beyond the three states of waking, dreaming and sleeping) and in Kena Upanishad (which is given above).

There are many ways suiting the ripeness of sadhakas and at the summit they all merge. However, at the base of the mountain, the paths do not appear to be leading to the same summit and un-ripe sadhakas fight. That is natural only.

Body and mind are indeed vehicles of knowing the truth and also of enjoying the Self in many ways. The problem begins with the forgetfulness of the fact that the enjoyed objects are of the Self alone. Mind turned towards objects leads to delusion. The same mind when steady and stithi pragnya (established fully in ghana pragnya -- the subject "I am"; OM), is Atman only.

All sadhana is to tame this outgoing mind and make it unflickering, keeping thoughts of non-self out.

I hope this helps.

Om
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Hari Om
    ~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by explorer_of_the_mind View Post
    More questions:

Namaste EOTM,

atanu has given you good information... many many posts here on HDF can help you with your questions. See the Meditation file folder for a wealth of discussions.

A very in-depth conversation was had last year on this subject.
    Please consider reading the following:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1822

Also the wise inform us on how to experience finer levels of Being, of ourSELVES , they say withdraw, then withdraw from the withdrawal. What does this mean? please consider this post: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...light=withdraw

There is much to talk about if you choose to pursue this line of thinking.
    Many here on HDF can address your questions.

pranams
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Yajvan,

Thank you for all of the helpful responses. I will have to look at those links you posted.

Thread Information