Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fear

Re: Fear

Hello,

It is a very good post from Renuka ji. I don't agree with the stated theory that it is only fear that drives each of our actions, but such a venture into psychoanalysis is new (and original) and deserves a hearty laugh!
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Nice and interesting info satay. Do you think fear and being scared are same?

I guess one of these two stays and the other is temporary and it's again dependent on individuals.

Namaste ji,

I am strongly reminded of a saying that most people are God-fearing, not God-loving. I tend to agree, and it does seem that the actions of many, if not most, people in this world are often - but not always and rarely exclusively - driven by fear. But fear of an instinctive nature, in that it exists outside of reason, (as in, it exists when there is no reasoning to dispel it regardless of the basis of reasoning), and tends to be strongly attached to the material world and an individual's current incarnate personality and body. When fear is part of an action it may not be the only reason or emotion behind an action. Once can act out of both fear and love/affection, for instance. While I agree with Satayji's response, I do think that often, many parents' actions are driven by a worry for their child - worry would seem to me to be a combination of love and anticipatory fear.

An Atheist can live without God but he wont be able to live without fear
    Not completely true. I know many Atheists. Some of them do indeed live without fear, through reasoning.

Gramesji's question is a very interesting one. There do indeed seem to be levels or degrees of fear, as we have many different words to describe them. From my own experience, the only fear I still struggle with is a Phobia I've had for as long as I can remember. Every time I think I've gotten a grip on it, I'm proven wrong. This is very different from a scare, and very unsettling.

~Pranam-s
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 11 September 2014 at 09:45 AM.
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Thread Information