Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Active members

Re: Active members

Its quite normal to be mentally productive at times and then have a mental block after sometime and this cycle repeats.

So we can find members who actively participate for a while..then lie dormant for a while and then start being active again.

It would be good if members could also express original thought from time to time without resorting too much to Copy and Paste Syndrome.

Vannakkam: 'Copy and Paste' without substantial commentary violates Rule 3, and we don't get that much of it actually.

Aum Namasivaya

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post
    Namaste,

It seems there are only 30-50 active & regular participants in HDF.Very few early/senior members post in discussions,any reason why it is so?
    I thought I would offer a few thoughts on this..

With the active members of 30 to 50 - that is just fine. There has never been the desire to become huge ( and for that matter popular). Size does not infer better or higher quality.

Discussions
    There is an ocean of knowledge¹ to discuss yet the audience is not always there; that is, think of the depth and breath of this sanātana dharma. One tends to talk within their framework of knowledge and understanding. If one is not 'filling up' with new knowledge and experience, the one exhausts their abilities.

There is much to discuss - but communicating requires a sender and receiver. If the receiver is not ready or ~ tuned ~ for this knowledge not only does it fall on deaf ears it also can being confusion. I have seen this many-many times here on HDF e.g. the container was just not ready for the new knowledge. This is the inherent problem with sharing on the internet. It takes sustained effort to be clear and concise ( that is my motivation on the continual request for the author to define his/her terms).

So, kṛṣṇa-jī has been clear on this matter ( chapter 3, bhāgavad gītā) as to not bring confusion. My teacher always offered knowledge on the level of need of the aspirant. This was gaged by questions he received. He then would extend the knowledge to incorporate more profound ideas to ~nudge~ the intellect of the listeners ( or those a bit more advanced) to a higher value. Yet he would always come back to that basic need that was posed.

I see plenty of material for discussion , but will it do the most good or bring some angst ? For me, I see posts like a run way for a plane. You need plenty of run way to get the plane in the air and then to land it... that is, discussions need to be developed with time and patience. This is not only good for the author but for the audience too.

iti śivaṁ

1. ocean of knowledge - http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...ighlight=ocean
    Last edited by yajvan; 18 July 2014 at 05:15 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste,

As yajvan says, there is much to be said for quality over quantity;
    and in view of this age of short attention spans and expectation of
    instant gratification, it is rare that one finds those who are willing to
    allow a line of thought to fully mature and develop. Before becoming
    impatient and turning elsewhere outside themselves for an answer to
    a question they haven't even formulated properly within their own
    minds, clarity and serenity must sought first- but so many put the
    cart before the horse, as it were.

JAI MATA DI
    || जय माता की ||

Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post
    Namaste,

It seems there are only
    30-50 active & regular participants in HDF.Very few early/senior members post in discussions,any reason why it is so?

Namaste,

I any forums, be it software, or windows or a Linux forum like ubuntu or Linux Mint or Bodhi Linux or bike forum, there are only a few 'experts' who hang on to. There are many who join with a purpose of finding solution. Once they get, they move on. There are some who are spectators, but are regular.

Instead of searching for content, it is better to post when you have some matter to post, else we loose the quality. Many times people take a break as at times the discussion is too much for them, it becomes intensive and some of them may disturb their sleep

This is a standard thing. Mostly in a growing forums, the active members with goodwill and their mod abilities are made mods and later if necessary are upgraded to Admin. If things can be managed, then no new mods are added. After becoming mods, some may continue to post to help others, but some might be busy in moderation activity. Moderation is difficult job, specially in dharma forums as we are emotionally connected with it.

Some members may find that similar type of discussions or questions are put. AS a result they loose interest in replying them. New members sometimes do not search or do not get their answers in older threads.

The mindset of new members and old is very different. e.g. there was an intense discussion of over 200+ posts on varNa dharma, and this discussion stayed civil until 200+ posts and only in last stage landed in jalpa folder. Now if someone asks me about varNa, then I do not prefer to reply or reply in brief. But new members are not aware of this intense discussions and what impact it had on our minds. They expect an answer or debate.

AS some have said, some (like me) are here to give rather than to take, though I have gained much while giving, but the main intention is to help.

Some may get bored by receiving long replies and their threads getting hijacked or derailed. They move on or become less active.

OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Thread Information