Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why close the eyes ?

why close the eyes ?

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

We are told in our śāstra-s that the Supreme is omnipresent ( some call viśva or sarva-viśva). That means every atom or non-atom ( vacuum or ākāśa some call śūnya) is pervaded by the Supreme.

If this is so, then why do many close their eyes in meditation to come to realize this Supreme if it is to be found everywhere ?

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 29 April 2012 at 11:23 AM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: why close the eyes ?

Yajvan Ji,
    This may be to help focus , since visual inputs could be distracting. Eyes and ears are the sensing organs that could be easily controlled. I wish I could shut off my senses of smelling the way I could close my eyes.

pranam Yajvan ji

To introspect, to see the Antaryami why look outside( Bahiantar ) when he she you are meditating on is within

Namaste yajvan,

Thank you for your considered posting.

I find that I am regularly reminded of Siva in the world about me, and that auditive distraction can be much more of a hindrance to my balance.
    It is strange that some will surround them selves at all times with noise, as if to avoid hearing their own thoughts.

PraNAma

mana
    Last edited by Mana; 28 April 2012 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

namast

We are told in our śāstra-s that the Supreme is omnipresent ( some call viśva or sarva-viśva). That means every atom or non-atom ( vacuum or ākāśa some call śūnya) is pervaded by the Supreme.

If this is so, then why do many close their eyes in meditation to come to realize this Supreme if it is to be found everywhere ?

praṇām
    In my opinion,we close our eyes to withdraw from this world for a while. We close our eyes to find Him inside us. Try to look for Him in our body, may be between two eyes or in our heart. By closing eyes we try to find answer to question, Who am I ?
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

Vannakkam: Does one intentionally close eyes, or is it more like breathing, a natural outcome of a certain activity, such as perspiration from exercise?

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: Does one intentionally close eyes, or is it more like breathing, a natural outcome of a certain activity, such as perspiration from exercise?

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste All,

In retrospect; I close my eyes morning and night when I meditate, this allows me to focus on pranayama, to bring about a little tamas to calm rajas. A time when the Heart can be listened to without interruption.

praNAma

mana

There are no instruction as far as i know to close the eyes during Meditation in the yoga shastras. If people recommend fully closing the eyes it must be because of a lack of correct instruction. I have studied with different teachers and read many instructions for meditation i have never come across one that instructs people to close their eyes. Can anyone of you give me an example from any traditional shastra buddhist, jain, taoist or Hindu that recommends it?

Hello,

It's strange because I personally can't meditate with eyes closed...I can't concentrate and I feel a pain in the forehead >< It's disturbing.
    The only way I can meditate it's when my eyes are half open. With eyes half open I can go inside more easily and i'm not disturbed by what i have in sight, it's like my eyes are open but i can control if "i see" or "not".

I'm sorry, it's hard to explain, I hope it's understandable ^^"

Aum !
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Namaste Yajvan ji and all,

The eyes can be kept open, closed or half-closed during meditation depending upon what the Guru suggests.

MH's way of challenging "keeping eyes closed during meditation" is not appreciated. It unnecessarily tries to show supremacy of one's knowledge over the others here. This is not required. I would quote AdvyatAraka Upanishad which says that the eyes can be kept closed or half-closed :

Chitsvaroopohamiti sadA bhAvayan samyanga nimilitAkshah kinchidunmilitAkshivAntardrishtaya bhrUdaharAdupari sachhidAnanda tejah kootroopam parbrahmAvalokayan tdroopo bhavati.

As has been highlighted in the above text, the eyes can be kept closed or half-opened as per this Upanishad.

The meditational methods are slightly different from one school to the other. Some SAdhaks find keeping eyes closed helping in meditation as it immediately withdraws from the outer visible world. However, it has a difficulty that once the eyes are closed, the mind starts creating images from the impressions gained in the waking time. That takes the meditator to the mental realms and can cause sleep. There are some schools which teach the aspirants to keep their eyes fully opened focussing at the tip of the nose or the point between the eyebrows etc.

I have tried keeping my eyes half-closed during meditation but it creates strain on the eyes and doesn't suit me though it is considered the best way for the beginners. So, I perform meditation keeping my eyes closed.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thread Information