Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mahapashupatastra blog

Re: Mahapashupatastra blog

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Pranam-s, Jijnasa:

Thank you for your valuable post.
    I do not have any contestations with innocent and well-devoted sectarian applications or appropriation of Vedic hymns. I am only concerned/worried when they get radical.
    What about the following verse at the very beginning of the Aitareyabrāhmaṇam:

अग्निर्वै देवानामवमो विष्णुः परमस्।
    तदन्तरेण सर्वा अन्या देवता॥१.१.१॥
    படைபோர் புக்கு முழங்கும்அப் பாஞ்சசன்னியமும் பல்லாண்டே
    May your pA~nchajanya shankha which reverberates on the battlefield, last thousands upon thousands of years...
    http://archives.mirroroftomorrow.org...anchajanya.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jaskaran Singh View Post
    What about the following verse at the very beginning of the Aitareyabrāhmaṇam:

अग्निर्वै देवानामवमो विष्णुः परमस्।
    तदन्तरेण सर्वा अन्या देवता॥१.१.१॥
    Pranam-s,

What about it?

It's in line with the following revelation:

"I will declare the mighty deeds of Vishnu, of him who measured out the earthly regions, who propped the highest place of congregation, thrice setting down his footstep, widely striding." (R.V.1.154.1)

But, it's in contestation with the following:

"“O’ Gods, not one of you is small, none of you is a feeble child: All of you are verily great!” (R.V.8.30.1)

So, theologically Rig-Vedic-wise, that brAhmaNa's verse is not "sound" (<-- it was, after all, composed and commented on by humans).

Namaste

Some additional thoughts on shakhas and Vedas. Continued from my last post.

Not only do they require a person needs to go through all the associated texts, but a person needs to understand that all the texts belonging to some Veda has a unique purport, and also a person needs to learn how to recognize and understand exactly this unique purport in individual texts, ie one needs to learn how to interpret apparently mutually contradictory statements of the scriptures that seem like they do not have this unique purport!
    There is a specific book that helps the student of the Vedas in this regard. It is called Vedanta sutra (Brahma sutra). This book is designed in a special way as to resolve doubts about the contradictory statements of the shruti scriptures and helps us to find unique purport.
    High importance of the Upanishads are often emphasized in Vedic traditions. This can be easily seen from the fact that of all the texts associated with Vedas, Upanishads are called Vedanta or "end of the Vedas". Upanishads are the last word of the Vedic learning. It is said that one in his last stage of the spiritual life, sannyasa, should dedicate himself with a special attention to the study of the Upanishads. With the help of the Upanishads one reaches the final and highest end. Thus it is precisely the Upanishads those texts that enables a person to penetrate the mystery and nature of Brahman, and when this is done a person achieves liberation.

There are many acaryas who wrote comments on Vedanta sutra, Upanishads, Bhagavad gita, Puranas such as Srimad Bhagavatam, etc. With the help of all of them, acaryas, traditions (sampradayas), shakhas (branches specialized in learning certain Vedic texts), great sages such as Narada who wrote numerous smriti scriptures, Vedic knowledge should be studied.

regards

Namaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    So, theologically Rig-Vedic-wise, that brAhmaNa's verse is not "sound" (<-- it was, after all, composed and commented on by humans).
    What you mean by "it was, after all, composed and commented on by humans"?

regards

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    namaste

+1, true that.
    +2 I would second that Hello Sahasranama

If you was to accept NArAyaNa is supreme, then there is no problem whatsoever. But if you want to 'Prove' NArAyaNa is supreme, then the 'Game' - 'My Daddy Strongest' begins

Same is true for a Shaivite.

I remember a TV ad of Dhara cooking oil in which the ad ends up with a girl shouting 'My Daddy Strongest'

Two astras NArAyaNa and MahApaSupatastra collides and produces heat.

Friction generates heat. Is it a solution?

Hi Sri Vaishnav. I hope you had a wonderful Pilgrimage.

Aum
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by Indiaspirituality Amrut View Post
    Namaste,

If you was to accept NArAyaNa is supreme, then there is no problem whatsoever. But if you want to 'Prove' NArAyaNa is supreme, then the 'Game' - 'My Daddy Strongest' begins

Same is true for a Shaivite.
    My last post on these forums since the moderator obviously doesn't allow my posts to go through without moderation. And even if he doesn't allow this post, atleast he can get a good glimpse of this.

With reference to the point at hand, what gives you the moral high ground here? Equality of all devas is a philosophy that is newer than the 16th century. And it is just as much a sectarian belief as the rest. Worse, because it only remains a belief; the other two have some philosophical arguments at least and are a level above mere faith or belief.

Your so-called "daddy strongest" argument shows your lack of understanding of sAlambaNa yOgA and subhAsrayatva delineated by the Veda. To someone who has not studied either system, this will never be clear. To those who have a knowledge of the guNams, astrabhUshaNa adhyAya of vishNu purAna, sAlambaNa yOgA and tattva-darshaNa, the difference is vast.

Shaivas are not vedAntins and never claimed to be so, hence they never had any quarrel with vaishnavas (who alone were vedAntins) other than some exceptions like Dikshita.

Pseudo-sanctimony is nothing but ignorance. Like a tamil phrase, "the cat closes its eyes and thinks the whole world is blind". First get a proper knowledge of all philosophical systems before commenting.

I am done with these forums.
    [CENTER][COLOR="Black"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="DarkRed"]No holiness rules over my freedom
    No commands from above I obey
    I seek the ruin, I shake the worlds
    Behold! I am blackest ov the black

Ov khaos I am, the disobediant one
    Depraved son who hath dwelt in nothingness
    Upon the ninth I fell, from grace up above
    To taste this life ov sin, to give birth to the "I"[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[B]~ "Blackest Ov the Black" - Behemoth.[/B]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P-JdwtK1DY[/url] [/CENTER]

Namaste Sri Vaishnava,

I am done with these forums.
    You may not reconsider your decision but the knowledge you share via your post on Sri Vaishnavism indeed helps. I am taking toddler steps in my Sri Vaishnavism journey...

You can still share your views as a service to Sreeman Naaraayana even through others opinion might not go with yours. I am saying this because this forum has become a repository of wisdom (through the debates) and many can benefit.

Last but not the least, may I suggest you to read the Tamil phrase you mentioned one last time....

Apologize if I offended any ones sentiments and beliefs ....
    Anirudh...

Namaste friends,

The author of this blog seems to be a very knowledgeable and pleasant mannered person. Despite outrageous claims such as the ones mentioned in my reply which is post #1 in this thread, I kept reading his blog because he had done a tremendous amount of research work that is new and novel, such as what Sri Vamana avatara's 3 strides mean, the significance of Tirumala Tirupathi and what Seshachalam, the Tirupathi Hills means spiritually, and of Sri Sita-Rama 's significance and who they are spiritually. Vaishnavas will differ here and there on his opinions (such as calling Sri Rama as Shiva+Uma amsas, Sri Vishnu as Uma amsa and so forth), but the research work is genuine and gives a wide perspective as to the significance of various tattwas. I also would urge people to write to him with questions as he gets back promptly and has some deep knowledge.

So if we ignore some anti-Vaishnava sentiments and read on, we can gain pearls of wisdom from the blog.

Thanks.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste friends,

The author of this blog seems to be a very knowledgeable and pleasant mannered person. Despite outrageous claims such as the ones mentioned in my reply which is post #1 in this thread, I kept reading his blog because he had done a tremendous amount of research work that is new and novel, such as what Sri Vamana avatara's 3 strides mean, the significance of Tirumala Tirupathi and what Seshachalam, the Tirupathi Hills means spiritually, and of Sri Sita-Rama 's significance and who they are spiritually. Vaishnavas will differ here and there on his opinions (such as calling Sri Rama as Shiva+Uma amsas, Sri Vishnu as Uma amsa and so forth), but the research work is genuine and gives a wide perspective as to the significance of various tattwas. I also would urge people to write to him with questions as he gets back promptly and has some deep knowledge.

So if we ignore some anti-Vaishnava sentiments and read on, we can gain pearls of wisdom from the blog.

Thanks.
    Namaste Viraja,

I also take it same way. Instead of taking Vishnu as Adi Shakti, I would take it as
    Shiva = Vishnu and Shakti = Laxmi i.e. substitute them.

Leaving aside some claims, this blog is very useful practically and gives good info.

I think that the author has written in bad mood / angry mood, else he would have done much justice.

You can leave aside the Bogus claim of Srimad Bhagavat. I too do not like to be a historian

If we keep thinking like historian, then we loose bhakti.

Not all accept 108 upanishads, but I have not seen a single upanishad giving negative teaching. You cannot apply each and every verse of all 108 upanishads in your life. You cannot apply all 700 verses of Gita in your life. Keep reading what suits you and neglect other verses. They may not may not be useful in future.

Meera bai and Radha chanted Krishna's name, they would not chant Rama Nama. When Krishna appeared in front of Hanuman, he requested Krishna to give darshan as Rama. We cannot even take names of all 24 avatars of Vishnu. Only one name is enough , only one is necessary. that is why we have Rama Sahasranama, Krishna Sahasranama, Laxmi-Narasimha Sahasranama and of course Vishnu Sahasranama. We have Vishnu suktam and Narayana suktam.though all avatars are technically one and the same, we concentrate one only one.

Take little that you need, leave the rest.

Aum
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by Indiaspirituality Amrut View Post
    I too do not like to be a historian

If we keep thinking like historian, then we loose bhakti.
    Actually, thinking historically has increased my Bhakti tremendously. At one point of time I too was receptive to a story as long as it made sense to me. But searching for a validity has helped me personally to relate to the incidents much better.

I do agree with you that over-analyzing/debating the historic incidents recorded by sages instead of experiencing them is a waste of time. But on the other extreme, if we do not keep in view basic validity of source, then we will be experiencing the wrong thing. So we need the right balance.

It is true that lots of hearsays are floating around in the name of our Hinduism but then with just a bit of effort we can gain a firm conviction about a lot of our materials. Remember, only the person who refused to believe the indologist speculations was able to excavate Dwaraka out of the ocean.

Standing in front of Govardhana Hill with the absolute conviction that Krishna has lifted this very Hill, whose eyes will fail to shed tears of joy? One should just read Sage Valmiki's description of Hanuman's flight to Lanka to realize why we call these itihAsAs. Can we ever repay the debt we owe to our great ancestors for giving these details to us with no expectation whatsoever in return? The only thing we can do is to repeat their golden words.

Thread Information