Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian Recipes

Vegetarian Recipes

Namaste,

The last time I visited a mandir, I stayed afterwards for prasad, and I have been trying to figure out what one of the dishes was and cannot find it! I'm hoping someone here can help me figure it out. I believe the main ingredient was chickpeas, or something similar to that, and it was very spicy (and delicious!). I would love to try to make it myself.

I went on a search online and found a recipe that I thought might be it, because the picture kind of looked like it. The recipe along with the picture can be found here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-indian-dahl/. It is called Dahl. Even though it turned out not being what I was trying to make, it was actually very good, so it still worked out. The dahl was more soup like, whereas the dish I was aiming for was not souplike at all. Also the lentils in the dahl were much smaller than the beans that were in the other dish, and the other dish was spicier than the dahl.

Does anyone know a recipe that sounds like what I mentioned above? Or perhaps want to share any other good recipes that may be easy for a beginner to pick up on? To be honest, I haven't had much Indian food other than what was served at the Mandir, so I didn't even know that I liked it! Now that I found a few things that I enjoy, I'm curious what else is out there.

Thank you all.
    Om Namah Shivaya

Re: Vegetarian Recipes

Vannakkam: There are about a million chick pea curry recipes. But since most of then are really delicious, I would just suggest experimenting until you get something close to what you ate.

My favorite is more a chick pea snack. ... finally chopped onions, finally chopped coconut, mustard seeds, a dash of turmeric, curry flakes to the hot level you want (not a ton of oil, maybe a tablespoon) ... saute all this til onions are browning, than add chick peas, either frozen cooked (we prepare a bunch at a time, and then freeze them) or canned. Keep it all fairly dry, and saute some more for awhile, keep stirring. Garnish with fresh coriander, if you have it.

Aum Namasivaya

Thanks Eastern Mind, that sounds delicious!!

I was wondering something about the onions (and perhaps this belongs in a different thread altogether, I am unsure). The recipe I used called for a lot of onions and garlic, as did a lot of others that I came across. On the website of the temple that I visit, it states that only vegetarian meals may be prepared there. It also stated that cooking with onions and garlic is strictly forbidden. Why is this? I know that onions and garlic are a tamasic food, and I'm guessing that's why they don't allow it, but why are they tamasic? Should I try just omitting these ingredients when cooking? Usually I try offering my food to Lord Shiva before I eat (if the meal is sattvic and worthy to be offered to him) but I did not offer him any of this dish last night because it had onions and garlic.

Aum Nama Sivaya!!
    Om Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by fem_phoenix1109 View Post
    Thanks Eastern Mind, that sounds delicious!!

I was wondering something about the onions (and perhaps this belongs in a different thread altogether, I am unsure). The recipe I used called for a lot of onions and garlic, as did a lot of others that I came across. On the website of the temple that I visit, it states that only vegetarian meals may be prepared there. It also stated that cooking with onions and garlic is strictly forbidden. Why is this? I know that onions and garlic are a tamasic food, and I'm guessing that's why they don't allow it, but why are they tamasic? Should I try just omitting these ingredients when cooking? Usually I try offering my food to Lord Shiva before I eat (if the meal is sattvic and worthy to be offered to him) but I did not offer him any of this dish last night because it had onions and garlic.

Aum Nama Sivaya!!
    Vannakkam: The restriction of onions and garlic is a sectarian and/or regional concept. Not all Hindu communities restrict it outright. So the use varies. In our case, we use more onions than garlic, to be sure.

Aum Namasivaya

Thank you Eastern Mind,

Would you offer a dish prepared with onions to Lord Shiva? And as for the garlic, do you use more onions as a matter of taste, or is there a larger significance behind it.

Aum Namah Sivaya
    Om Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by fem_phoenix1109 View Post
    Thank you Eastern Mind,

Would you offer a dish prepared with onions to Lord Shiva? And as for the garlic, do you use more onions as a matter of taste, or is there a larger significance behind it.

Aum Namah Sivaya
    Vannakkam: In our shrine room, I don't offer cooked food at all, just cut fruit. It's important to cut it (even just one end) as the devas can smell it better and are attracted. At the temple I attend, the only cooked food offered is about 5 different varieties of cooked rice, but only cooked by the priests at the temple, in their own special kitchen, not the main kitchen where lunch is served. None of those varieties contain garlic or onion.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Eastern Mind,

Thank you for the information. I have been offering oatmeal to Lord Shiva most mornings. I didn't realize that you shouldn't offer cooked food. I thought I should offer anything I eat to God before partaking myself, unless of course it is something that would be inappropriate, such as unwholesome, tamasic food.

Pranam.
    Om Namah Shivaya

Namaste,

Dahl is the generic term for any kind of soupy bean dish. I generally heat up some cumin seeds in wee bit oil in a pressure cooker till the cumin seeds start to roast/turn slightly black, put whatever beans, a whole tomato, spices (salt, red or black peppers, turmeric) and water and then cook. The time for cooking depends on the type of beans used and if they were pre-soaked.

Here is a little more advanced preparation,
    http://indianfood.about.com/od/veget...aanbaingan.htm

Of course the spices mentioned in the recipe should be altered to taste.

Pranam.

Hi everybody,

I normally eat vegetables at home, however on occasions I do eat meat. I'm trying to be fully vegetarian, and have a few questions regarding the deficience of vitamin B12. Since vitamin B12 is only found in meat.

I'm aware that it takes about a year or two before a deficiency in vitamin B-12 manifest. But I was wondering how one would go about attaining vitamin B-12 on a vegetarian diet?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by emes View Post
    Hi everybody,

I normally eat vegetables at home, however on occasions I do eat meat. I'm trying to be fully vegetarian, and have a few questions regarding the deficience of vitamin B12. Since vitamin B12 is only found in meat.

I'm aware that it takes about a year or two before a deficiency in vitamin B-12 manifest. But I was wondering how one would go about attaining vitamin B-12 on a vegetarian diet?

Thanks in advance
    Vannakkam, and welcome to these forums.

Most vegans or vegetarians take a weekly or daily supplement. Besides meat, it is also found in some yeasts and other foods. You don't need a lot of it, and I personally believe the supposed danger of not getting enough of it is somewhat overblown. But there is a ton of research and information on line. A problem occurs there, as with any nutrition debate, and that is, who to believe, as there is often contradicting information.

Here's one link to demonstrate.. http://www.30bananasaday.com/forum/t...e-whether-your

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information