Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to Do When Your Mind is Very Disturbed

Hybrid View

What to Do When Your Mind is Very Disturbed

"What to Do When Your Mind is Very Disturbed"
    (Lesson C28)

The Ultimate Self Realization Course (TM)
    Presenting the World's Leading Self Realization Training System
    Under the guidance and inspiration of ISKCON Founder-Acharya:
    His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

Guiding Thousands to the Highest Enlightenment
    In Over a Hundred Countries around the Globe
    (listed at http://www.backtohome.com/countries)

Your personalized Self Realization Training Program
    Taught by His Grace Sriman Sankarshan Das Adhikari

If you are not yet a subscriber to our free e-course,
    you can join right now at: http://www.backtohome.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Krishna consciousness is that state of mind in which one is completely free from all disturbance. But a neophyte devotee who is still trying to develop his Krishna consciousness is not purely absorbed in Krishna consciousness yet and therefore sometimes experiences disturbances of mind as he struggles to advance himself along the path of bhakti.

What should he do when such disturbances arise? He should certainly not abandon the pathway of Krishna consciousness thinking that because he could not quickly achieve the supreme perfection that therefore the process of Krishna consciousness does not work.

Just as a woman who gets married cannot expect to have a baby immediately, the process of Krishna consciousness takes time. We must be patient while we confidently await the attainment of the desired result, pure love of God.

The main thing to do when your mind gets disturbed is to keep your spirit of dedication to Krishna 100% alive. Do not lose your faith in the process. Understand that the mental difficulties you are experiencing are merely the burning off of your past sinful activities. There is a wonderful verse in the Srimad Bhagavatam, which can be very helpful in times of distress:

tat te 'nukampam su-samiksamano
    bhunjana evatma-krtam vipakam
    hrd-vag-vapurbhir vidadhan namas te
    jiveta yo mukti-pade sa daya-bhak

"My dear Lord, any person who is constantly awaiting Your causeless mercy to be bestowed upon him, and who goes on suffering the resultant actions of his past misdeeds, offering You respectful obeisances from the core of his heart, is surely eligible to become liberated, for it has become his rightful claim."
    --Srimad Bhagavatam 10.14.8

If you can remain steadfast in spite of the difficulties, Lord Krishna will recognize your impeccable sincerity and will reward you with rapid advancement along the path of bhakti.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari
    Last edited by satay; 14 August 2006 at 09:34 AM.

Re: What to Do When Your Mind is Very Disturbed

Lovely post,
    Hare Krishna.

Thanks Satay - This has helped me with japa by being able to stay focused, etc. Sometimes it's as simple as surrendering to Krishna.

Hare Krishna

Clayton

Namaste Satay,

Quote Originally Posted by Satay
    The main thing to do when your mind gets disturbed is to keep your spirit of dedication to Krishna 100% alive. Do not lose your faith in the process. Understand that the mental difficulties you are experiencing are merely the burning off of your past sinful activities, compared to their modern counterparts.
    It was by reading Srila Prabhupada that I came to know the details of rebirth of a human soul. When I read about his morning walk discourses some ten years or so ago, I used to enjoy his comments on science and the way he called scientists 'rascals'! And I have always wondered at the commitment, physical cleanliness, mental poise, and dedication of ISKCON devotees, specially westerns, who with their soft, flowing, clean clothes looked real tejasvis.

Until the 1970s, a large number of people in Tamilnadu from all communities sported a tuft of hair instead of the modern 'crop' and were proud of their hairstyle. Today, even a Vedic brahmin is embarrassed at his tuft of hair, due to the deplorable dravadian culture and the spread of atheism. Whereas an ISKCON devotee, specially the westerner, looks spiritually smart and is proud of his hairstyle.

Guruji's teaching of total surrender with the conviction that our meandering thoughts are but burning up of old karma is a wonderful technique for concentration in meditation. It also helps the mind from indulging in creation of more Akaamya karma.

Nice post.

Proud of their hairstyles... Isn't that all a bit materialistic? We are not the body!! We are not the hairstyles!!

The state of mind in which one is completely free from all disturbance... isn't that 'death'?

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    "What to Do When Your Mind is Very Disturbed"
    (Lesson C28)

The Ultimate Self Realization Course (TM)
    Presenting the World's Leading Self Realization Training System
    Under the guidance and inspiration of ISKCON Founder-Acharya:
    His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

Guiding Thousands to the Highest Enlightenment
    In Over a Hundred Countries around the Globe
    (listed at http://www.backtohome.com/countries)

Your personalized Self Realization Training Program
    Taught by His Grace Sriman Sankarshan Das Adhikari

If you are not yet a subscriber to our free e-course,
    you can join right now at: http://www.backtohome.com

Krishna consciousness is that state of mind in which one is completely free from all disturbance. But a neophyte devotee who is still trying to develop his Krishna consciousness is not purely absorbed in Krishna consciousness yet and therefore sometimes experiences disturbances of mind as he struggles to advance himself along the path of bhakti.

What should he do when such disturbances arise? He should certainly not abandon the pathway of Krishna consciousness thinking that because he could not quickly achieve the supreme perfection that therefore the process of Krishna consciousness does not work.

Just as a woman who gets married cannot expect to have a baby immediately, the process of Krishna consciousness takes time. We must be patient while we confidently await the attainment of the desired result, pure love of God.

The main thing to do when your mind gets disturbed is to keep your spirit of dedication to Krishna 100% alive. Do not lose your faith in the process. Understand that the mental difficulties you are experiencing are merely the burning off of your past sinful activities. There is a wonderful verse in the Srimad Bhagavatam, which can be very helpful in times of distress:

tat te 'nukampam su-samiksamano
    bhunjana evatma-krtam vipakam
    hrd-vag-vapurbhir vidadhan namas te
    jiveta yo mukti-pade sa daya-bhak

"My dear Lord, any person who is constantly awaiting Your causeless mercy to be bestowed upon him, and who goes on suffering the resultant actions of his past misdeeds, offering You respectful obeisances from the core of his heart, is surely eligible to become liberated, for it has become his rightful claim."
    --Srimad Bhagavatam 10.14.8

If you can remain steadfast in spite of the difficulties, Lord Krishna will recognize your impeccable sincerity and will reward you with rapid advancement along the path of bhakti.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari
    Thank you for this post prabhu. I have also heard one can chant loudly to bring the mind back to Krsna.

Nitai Gauranga!

Smile Re: What to Do When Your Mind is Very Disturbed

Just sit quietly. Think of the Lord and His Form. Close your eyes and meditate on His Form and Name! The mind will slowly quiten and rest!

Vannakkam:

When the mind is very disturbed, it is nigh impossible to sit still or do quieting techniques. When the mind is disturbed, you don't WANT to go to temple.

There are those few people whose minds never get really disturbed, but for th average Joe, it does happen. How often is another question.

I believe one of the best strategies is to go for a walk. Attempt to use your will to move your own awareness, at least enough to calm down enough for some clarity.

I had a student with severe anger management issues, enough to involve other childrens' personal physical safety. So whenever I was able to recognise, we'd all move out of the classroom and give the boy a 20 minute break.

Personally, I would never recommend trying to sit down, go to shrine room, or temple. These are places where mystically, doors are open. Your anger or distrurbed mind could vey well draw the wrong type of inner plane beings, namely asuras. Better to do something simple like going for a walk. Go buy a snack somewhere, on foot.

Aum Namasivaya

In my view..Hare Krsna mahamantra really works when one's mind is disturbed. Even though I don't totally accept Iskcon ways and methods.. but I believe this mantra works. Krsna is all trance
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by realdemigod View Post
    In my view..Hare Krsna mahamantra really works when one's mind is disturbed. Even though I don't totally accept Iskcon ways and methods.. but I believe this mantra works. Krsna is all trance
    This mahamantra is not a property of any individual, sect or institute.
    It works because it is a vedic mantra, very simple and sublime.

http://www.astrojyoti.com/kalisantaranaupanishad.htm

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Thread Information