Thread: Manu Smriti or Parashara Smriti?

Manu Smriti or Parashara Smriti?

Namaste,

Namaste

Someone who is supposed to be developing brahminical qualities should not eat onion/garlic. This is stated in the Manu smriti 5.5:
    http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/manu.htm
    "Garlic, leeks and onions, mushrooms and (all plants), springing from impure (substances), are unfit to be eaten by twice-born men."
    Here "twice-born" means people with brahminical qualities. One who has taken diksha is supposed to be developing brahminical qualities!
    There are no restrictions for carrots. Carrots can be eaten.

regards
    Recently in one of the posts one member mentioned that in this Kali Yuga Parasara Smriti is followed.Above member Ji quoted from Manu Smriti, which is said to be for the Satya(Krta) Yuga.I am confused.

1.Can we follow multiple Smritis at the same time ?
    2.Can we follow a Smriti after the Yuga it is meant for is completed?

3.The Parasara Smriti mentions that it is meant for Kali Yuga,do we have similar statements from the other Smritis about the Yuga in which they are followed?
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Re: Manu Smriti or Parashara Smriti?

Namaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post
    Namaste,

Recently in one of the posts one member mentioned that in this Kali Yuga Parasara Smriti is followed.Above member Ji quoted from Manu Smriti, which is said to be for the Satya(Krta) Yuga.I am confused.

1.Can we follow multiple Smritis at the same time ?
    2.Can we follow a Smriti after the Yuga it is meant for is completed?

3.The Parasara Smriti mentions that it is meant for Kali Yuga,do we have similar statements from the other Smritis about the Yuga in which they are followed?
    Someone who is supposed to be developing brahminical qualities may live in any Yuga.
    The question was about the food, and refers to the brahminical qualities.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by brahma jijnasa View Post
    Namaste

Someone who is supposed to be developing brahminical qualities may live in any Yuga.
    The question was about the food, and refers to the brahminical qualities.

regards
    Namaste Ji,

I just wanted to know about the relation between a Smriti and the Yuga.I quoted the above post as an example only,it is not about the previous post.I agree that Brahmana virtues are nearly same no matter what Yuga we are in.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Here is my positional understanding, it may not be of other positions.

The laws of Manu were laws during the Satya Yuga - the actual Laws by Manu in original format do not exist in the Kali Yug nor were they intended to be passed to the next Yuga nor should you follow them.

The Laws of Yajnavalkya are for the Treta Yuga, some were passed down, some are good advice to Brahmins but only the very advanced. They do not apply or are not a focus for most in Kali Yug. Do not worry about it.

Both Sankha and Likhita are for the Dvapara Yuga but have no application to you.

Parasara wrote more than one "Law Book" for the Kali Yuga but these were different in nature to previous, and there is still another to come. The nature of confusion in this Yug requires change in basic laws over time, but are like martial law and applicable in crisis and societal stress. Some of the current versions are full of recent interpolations that obviously date the sloka to a very specific period of time. All of these editions only apply to Brahmins for some basic instruction and are of no interest to anyone else since in the Kali Yug there is in fact No Law. The only law is to call on the name of the Lord at the time of death, and as much as possible otherwise, but the huge majority have no idea of the date or time of their death.

The Taraka Mantra will be whispered into your ear at the moment of death by Lord Shiva if you reside in Kashi.

A new Law Book is coming soon in this Kali Yuga itself. But it may not be correct to call it a Law Book since there is no lasting "civil law", effectively No Law in Kali Yug. Our last chance was lost way back un the Treta Yug when we spread rumors about Mother Sita and She went into Bhumi Earth bosom. Imho.

Om Namah Shivaya

Namaste ShivaFan Ji,

Thanks a lot for clearing my doubts.
    I would be nice if some Dharma Prachar organization could collect the important points/advices in different Smrities and publish them in a book.

Thread Information