Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Japa mala

Japa mala

Is it ok to use the same mala for chnats to different deities? I chant to both Ganesha and Lord Shiva. Do I need a seperate mala for each?

Post Re: Japa mala

Namaste,

Shiva and Ganesha are quite compatible!

Re: Japa mala

Just to add to that...It is my understanding that one should not chant the name of hari or maha mantra using rudra mala and one should not chant the name of shiva using the tulsi mala.
    satay

Arrow Re: Japa mala

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith
    Is it ok to use the same mala for chnats to different deities? I chant to both Ganesha and Lord Shiva. Do I need a seperate mala for each?
    Unless U have exact directions from Ur Guru (and seems U do not), U are free to do as U wish. Moreover, without a diksha any japa is near to useless. Apart from Mahamantras, like Shiva-panchakshari.

Totally agree with Sarabhanga that Shiva and Ganesha vidyas fit well to each other. Rudraksha would be suitable. And generally Shaiva and Vaishnava deities indeed aren't mixed.

Namaste,
    I use mala made from lotus seeds and chant mantras to Ganesh, Durga, and Shiva. Punditji, the priest at my temple, seemed to think this was okay, and even blessed my mala for me.

Shanti,
    Roy

Quote Originally Posted by MananAtma
    Namaste,
    I use mala made from lotus seeds and chant mantras to Ganesh, Durga, and Shiva. Punditji, the priest at my temple, seemed to think this was okay, and even blessed my mala for me.
    I see no problem in this. Padmabija must be OK. Moreover, Ganapati, Durga & Shiva are "one family" only

Forgive my ignorance, but what is "Padmabija"? Did a yahoo search and came up with no useful hits.

Shanti,
    Roy

Quote Originally Posted by MananAtma
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is "Padmabija"? Did a yahoo search and came up with no useful hits.
    Padmabija is LOTUS SEED

U could have checked with online Sanskrit dictionary!

Lotus see mala (Kamalgatta mala), Rudraksha mala or Sphatic mala - all are good for general worship. Rudraksha mala is the best for Shiv worship/ sadhna. Otherwise Sphatik mala or a combination mala that has alternative beads of Rudraksha and sphatik can be used for both Shiva and Ganesh sadhnas. Ideally a sperate mala should be used for separate sadhnas. But if this is difficult, then one mala can be used for both the deities since they are not of conflicting nature. Tulsi beads are used for Vaishnava sadhnas and Rudraksha for Shaiva. Kamalgatta mala is very good for Lakshmi / Kamala sadhnas. Moonga malais best for Hanuman Sadhna. Black hakeek for kali and Bhairav.

Jigar Guest

Namaste again,
    I feel that the Rudraksh mala have the most masculine emo effect on me, therefore I use them. I know my mother has a collection of all the different sided ( up to 7 i think) seeds, which I want from her some day.

Maste nam,

jigar

Thread Information