Thread: Shivaism and Hell

Shivaism and Hell

I was under the impression that those who die in a state of sin are made to reincarnate until they get it right. Yet, today I read that sinners "die and go to Hell". I read it on a site called Shaivam dot org (not a dot a period). I also read it some place else which I can't remember.

Can someone enlighten me on that
    Thanks

Re: Shivaism and Hell

Namaste Mystic Soul,

Welcome.

There are many sects within Shaivism, so there are also many answers to your question. Your answer will begin at the path you choose to follow within the greater whole of Shaivism.

My own understanding is that "Hell" is a particularly bad birth on this world, perhaps as a non-human, or if really bad then one of the lower worlds, of which Pataloka is the worst. Once the seeds of karma have born their fruit one has hopefully earned a better birth again.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Re: Shivaism and Hell

Hello, I'm new in Hindu Dharma so I'm not an authority.
    In my opinion, from the Absolute point of view, there's no such thing as "place", but consciousness expressing itself at different "stages" (consciousness cannot be objectified as time/space).
    Talking from the conventional point of view of truth, as long as identification with ego/mind/intellect exists, one has to repeatedly take birth in different "places".
    I think those who deny the existence of hells, are trying to fit a belief system with their personal likes and dislikes (heavens, hells and earth can only be denied from the Absolute point of view).
    Following this logic, if one denies hell, one also should deny the possibility of a heavenly existence, then you only have the world and moksha as the only two possibilities and this would be too limited.
    I think consciousness can express itself in infinite ways (earth and different levels of heaven and hell being some), not just rebirth on this earth till moksha.

Thread Information