Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Controversies in our epics.

Re: Controversies in our epics.

Dear Anurudha bhai,

Your intention to weed out interpolations is not bad, however, so many parameters are involved that after all it becomes a guess work. Hence better would be to neglect that you may think is suspicious. There is enough material for all. since these type of work is a subjective matter, it may happen that some scholars may remove some matter and some may remove another. If we wish to be safe and remove all the objectionable content, then I guess, after some centuries what will be left?

If some will remove some content and claim their version to be free of interpolations, then we will have multiple versions, each group calling it a genuine. Again it will be a mess.

I know you have a kind heart. But I feel, it is better keep things as they are. Please do not think too much analytically. It is a waste of time. This is my humble opinion.

Jai Shri Rama
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Namaste Amrut ji,

dont mind (just an observation since you posted in a thread directing to Mahapashupatastra blog)
    No offence taken. On the contrary, as I am learning to adhere the doctrines of Sri Vaishnavism your words are true compliment.

I have got a long way to reach (at least) one tenth of the faith Nambi Rangarajan had on Sreeman Naaraayan.

... (Aam Aadmi Party) is an opportunity that you may be looking ...
    My stand is, few stories are unconvincing. They make us a laughing stock. If I have a magic wand will broom it out. But that's not going to happen. So only viable option is to get clarified on certain parts without hurting any members or degrading any devatas.

Even if I do not see things from VA point of view, wonder how Shree Goswami ji could visualize what Vaalmiki had failed to document.
    Last edited by Anirudh; 06 January 2014 at 11:36 AM.
    Anirudh...

Namaste Ganesh prasad ji

Thank you very much for sharing your views.
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post

My stand is, few stories are unconvincing. They make us a laughing stock. If I have a magic wand will broom it out. But that's not going to happen. So only viable option is to get clarified on certain parts without hurting any members or degrading any devatas.
    Namaste Anirudh ji,

Best thing I find is to adopt nAhi nindA nyaya. It helps a lot to neutralize all types of contradictions *and does not hurt anyone's sentiments. Somethings, I feel, should be neglected. We have to move on. Everything will be unfolded at a proper time. Have faith. Trust Sri Rama.

Nahi Ninda Nyaya
    Contradictory stories in Puranas 'same moral of the story'

I am happy that you have finally settled down. Good luck with your spiritual progress. May Sri Rama guide you all the time.

Namo Narayana
    Last edited by Amrut; 06 January 2014 at 10:01 AM. Reason: *added a line

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

Namaste Amrut ji,

I am happy that you have finally settled down.
    Yes, I have. Sree Raama Chandra Prabhu took that decision. I hadn't known about Saranagathi when I actually surrendered to him. Remember I had stopped posting for about 3 or 4 months. Those were the best educative period of my life.

Good luck with your spiritual progress. May Sri Rama guide you all the time.
    Thank you very much for your wishes. Sree Raama Chandra Prabhu is always with me. Some times my ignorance stop him from guiding me, but then, his grace is always the winner.

Best thing I find is to adopt nAhi nindA nyaya. It helps a lot to neutralize all types of contradictions *and does not hurt anyone's sentiments. Somethings, I feel, should be neglected. We have to move on. Everything will be unfolded at a proper time. Have faith. Trust Sri Rama.
    I understand nAhi nindA nyaya. I do not disrespect any devata, but accepting something illogical is also a sin. Like I mentioned in the previous post, my questions were to gain clarity.

Like the present generation women, Sita Maata could have dumped Sree Raam when Raavan offered fortune to her. Vaalmiki Raamaayanam does not describe Raavan as a loser but as a learned successful person. So for such a lover present day women will not think twice. but Sita Maata didn't give into pressure or for luxury.

Even after returning to Ayodhya her happiness was short lived. Her life and the decisions she took during trying circumstances teaches us many things. Who in the present world will live in one single Saree for around 10 months when entire kingdom of Raavan was at the snap of her fingers. a\

I don't see her as a weak character as many anti Hindus would want us to believe. On the contrary she is very strong, in fact stronger than Shree Raama Chandra Prabhu...

When we try to understand the deep meaning of her characterization other stories like "she was not abducted and all" are pure dampener. if she was not abducted and her mirror image was abducted was the original Sita playing marbles when so many Vaanar sacrificed their life for her?

I can go on and on, but sadly don't have a magic wand
    Last edited by Anirudh; 06 January 2014 at 11:40 AM.
    Anirudh...

Namaste ShivaFan,

You have made many interesting points. It is definitely a food for thought but you seemed to have missed the point. When you find time, kindly go through the factors that led me to make that question.

For a moment, let me assume that our epics are not Vaishnava centric. Then, are we ready to live with those innumerable contradictions?...

I shall go through your post and share my answers in due course of time. In the process I am sure of learning many news things....

Thanks again for sharing your views....
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    I believe that these two are Vaishnava scripture but would like to hear from learned members.
    Vannakkam: For what it's worth, I arrived at the very same conclusion some 35 years ago. But I am just one opinion, and I certainly don't like to argue it. So, for me, just as non-Hindu scriptures are irrelevant, so too are these. But in the spirit of Hindu Solidarity, I respect them, and the right for Vaishnavas and any others to enjoy them, see them as literal history, or whatever they wish. We (well, most of us) tolerate others views within the brotherhood of Hinduism, even when we hold personal differences of opinion.

But I will most likely get in 'trouble' for saying this.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste

I agree with Anirudh ji and EM ji

Hari OM

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    Pranam

Never viewed anything other then Ithihas, only humans get tangled in the web off me and mine.
    Great instructions in Dharma and the way of correct conduct in society.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Pranam

If I may expand a bit more, no doubt both epic, are the history of Bharat Varsa, depicts Rama lila and Krishna lila and it is true that Vaishnava worship both this deities but that does not make it a Vaishnava literature nor does the epic it self make such a claim. Strictly speaking one is a history of Suryavansa and the other a Chandravansa.

Ramayan depicts the nobel character of Shree Ram, Rishi Valmiki does not portray him as Brahman but the emphasis on his role as human, how he is a obedient son, a brother,a friend, a husband and above all a King following proper Dharma but that not all. In its earlier history of Raghu dynasty one would learn the compassion of King Sibi who offered his own flesh to save the dove. Of Harishchandra Satyavadi who did not wavered from the sticking with truth. even today in the city of Kashi bare witness to Harishchandra ghat, people go to Kashi to die to get cremated at the famous ghat. Story of Vishvamitra and his struggle with Brahmrishi Vasitha.

MAHABHARAT is even more varied and each character tops another, i wouldn’t even know where to begin, Lord Krishna is part of it but he comes much later. in the later stage the story revolves mainly around Kurus and the Pandavas. These are epic of great proportion a history of Bharat, no Hindus in India looks upon it as a sectarian literature. it is mischievous of anyone to suggest otherwise.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Namaste,

I do not mind someone calling it as my scripture, say it is Vaishnava scripture, if one is talking as a Vishnu bhakta. But if one is implying that a certain scripture belongs to certain vaishnava panth, following certain siddhanta (dvaita, VA, etc), then I would disagree, as shruti-s and smriti-s and itihAsa-s and purANa-s are no body's exclusive property

It is our interpretation of a shruti. Interpretation itself cannot be called as shruti. It is the understanding of the author.

Hari OM

Thread Information