namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Ekanta View Post
    How it's written / How it's pronounced
    saṃjaya / sañjaya
    śaṃkara / śaṅkara
    saṃskṛta / sanskṛta
    saṃbuddha / sambuddha

-----

It seems there are two theories here... one wants to write as it pronounced in the specific case. The other writes ṃ and the pronunciation is to be understood (since the pronunciation of anusvāra variates and this is to be understood without having to write it out).
    I see your point. Yet what are your thoughts on the following:
    Would it though not be written like this ? संजय then transliteration takes us to this --> saṃjaya

Transliteration is , as you know, the way to show the nagarī script. Hence there is a letter for the vowel ञ ña , and the proper sound. Same with ङ ṅa.
    • ञ ña sounds like singe ( siñj ) and we can see how this can be applied to sañjaya .
    • ङ ṅa sounds like sing or king. we can feel the resonance, as that is the instruction to resonate up to the nose cavity.
    But what of this saṃjaya ? the instruction is in the ṃ , no? It is anusvāra and the rules that go with it.

...your thoughts on this matter?

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 12 November 2010 at 09:35 PM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: oṃkāra & oṅkāra

Dont ask me... I have seen two versions... I didnt make up the transliteration schemes (of which there seem to be more than one). I just wonder why and how there are two versions out there.

---
    http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebe...a/mandup_u.htm
    writes it: oṃkāra.
    ---
    http://titus.uni-frankfurt.de/texte/...kya/mandut.htm
    writes it: oṅkāra
    -----
    Or perhaps its an issue with transliteration sanskrit from devanagari? As I dont read devanagari Im not fit to figure it out... I was hoping for an easy answer (not difficult questions).
    “There is a Guru in each of us. It is the Atma principle. It is the Eternal Witness functioning as Conscience in everyone. With this Conscience as guide, let all actions be done.” (sss20-15)

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté Ekanta

Quote Originally Posted by Ekanta View Post
    ... I was hoping for an easy answer (not difficult questions).
    We're fresh out of ~easy~

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    We're fresh out of ~easy~
    But you are admin now, shouldn't you fix it?
    "With great power comes great responsibility"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=SE&v=IKmQW7JTb6s
    “There is a Guru in each of us. It is the Atma principle. It is the Eternal Witness functioning as Conscience in everyone. With this Conscience as guide, let all actions be done.” (sss20-15)

Om or aum.

Om is one of the most chanted sound symbols in India. It hasa profound effect on the body and mind of one who chants and also on thesurroundings. Most mantras and vedic prayers start with om. All auspiciousactions begin with om. It is also used as a greeting like om, Hari om etc. Itis repeated as a mantra or meditated upon. Its form is worshipped, contemplatedupon or used as an auspicioussign.

Why do we chant Om?

Om is the universal name of the Lord or Brahman. It is madeof the letters A (phonetically as in ‘around’), U, as in ‘put’, and M as in ‘mum’.The sound emerging from the vocal chords starts from the base of the throat as “A”.With coming together of lips, “U” is formed and when the lips are closed, allsound ends in “M”. The threeletters symbolize the three states: the waking,dream, sleep; the three deities: brahma, Vishnu, maheswara; the the 3 vedas:Rig, yajur, sama; the 3 worlds: bhuh, bhuvah and suvah.

The formless, attributeless Lord (Brahman) is represented bythe silence between two om chants. Om is also called pranava that means THATsymbol or sound by which he Lord is praised. The entire essence of the vedas isenshrined in the word om.

It is said that lord started creating the world afterchanting om and atha. Hence its sound is considered to create an auspicious beginning for anytask that we undertake.

The om chant should have the resounding sound of bell (aaooommm). It fills the mind with peace , makes it focused and replete withsubtle sound. People meditate on its meaning and attain self realization. Thus om symbolizes everything- the means andthe goal of life, the world and the Truth behind it, the material and theSacred, all forms and the Formless- Chinmaya mission.

Thread Information