Thread: Sri Vaishnavism and the Devas.

Sri Vaishnavism and the Devas.

Namaste everyone.

What is Vaishavism's (specically Ramanuja's Sri Sampradaya) stance on Devas like Shiva, Ganesha, Murugan, MahaDevi, etc.?

From what I understand, it's fine to revere and perform rituals for them, as long as one doesn't worship them as the supreme. Would you say this is correct?
    There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity over it.

Re: Sri Vaishnavism and the Devas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Galaxy View Post

From what I understand, it's fine to revere and perform rituals for them, as long as one doesn't worship them as the supreme. Would you say this is correct?
    PranAm,

Firstly I am not an adherent of Shri vaishnawism. I think as they see all gods except vishnu lower, I don't think they do any ritual of other god.

But as we see from Traditional Sanatana Vaishnawism, Supreme Gods like Vishnu, Shiva, Ganesha, devi are equally worshipable as Brahman. These all gods are manifestations of Brahman and hence are non different in essence. This is what most of Sanatani believe.

You should note that author of all different puranas like Shiva and Vishnu is one and he's Vyasadeva. The same Vysa says Shiva is Supreme, same vysa says Ganesha is supreme,
    the same vysa says Vishnu is supreme. This proves undeclinable non-dual unity of primary gods. This is not just a belief, it's supports from Scriptures.

Krushna Uvacha (Says) :

शैवा: सौरा: गणेशावैष्णवा: शक्तिपूजका: ।
    मामेवप्राप्नुवन्तिहवर्षांभसागरंयथा ।। पद्म पुराण उत्तरखण्ड ८८।४३।

"Like the rain water comes from all around and finally reaches to the ocean, similarly all those worshiping Shiva, Surya, Ganesha, Vishnu, Devi acquires me alone."

Note: 'Me' here refers to Brahman as Vaishnawa word is already said before. Just as different Rivers by different paths attain the sea only, worshipers of Various Gods attain one supreme destination, Brahman.

Thank You..
    Hari On!

Re: Sri Vaishnavism and the Devas.

Sri Vaishnavaism teaches the devotee the concept of "SaranaGati" meaning "Absolute Surrender".

When you surrender to the "Sriman Narayana", it is absolute and the faith here is that, Sriman Narayana will deliver the surrendered soul from the clutch of "Samsara".

If the surrender is sincere, there is the ladder of "Respect" and honor to the Diciplic succession which is called "Guru Bhakthi" or "Acharya Abimana" ( Grace of the Guru) and such diciplic succession has to have Sriman Narayana as the "Ultimate" or "The Supreme" otherwise the "Absolute Surrender" is no longer logical. Since its "absolute surrender", there is no room for distraction of faith or looking at grace of some other "deities" for the purpose of "Attaining" moksha. Even if any other deities are worshiped or honored, it is done with the mood/idea of "gaining" Sriman Narayana bhakthi alone!

Hare Krshna!

Thread Information