Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soulmates

Soulmates

Namaste all.

The concept of soulmates is one I have heard about often in connection with Hinduism, but aside from general discussion of the nature of karma and reincarnation, I haven't found any reliable, authentic references or analyses of the idea.

Do any of the Hindu scriptures specifically address the concept of soulmates?

Re: Soulmates

Assuming that by the term "soulmate," you mean what people commonly mean by the term, I would have to say that, no, I have never read of such a thing being endorsed in Hindu scriptures.

This is not to say that Hindu scriptures are relevant to Hinduism. Many Hindus are of the view that Hindu scriptures are only relevant when we want to give lip service to their authority, but not so relevant when determining what is and is not right knowledge.

Now if you will excuse me, I believe there are a few other members who will want to chime in with their personal views on Hinduism and "soulmates." Those views might be more to your liking, so maybe you might regard them as correct on that basis. :-)
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Neoved View Post
    Namaste all.

The concept of soulmates is one I have heard about often in connection with Hinduism, but aside from general discussion of the nature of karma and reincarnation, I haven't found any reliable, authentic references or analyses of the idea.

Namaste.

I am not familiar with the concept of 'soulmates' in Hindu Scriptures. I don't think it exists.

However, a couple who have highly compatible birth charts astrologically, may be seen as being 'soulmates'.

The idea of 'soulmates' is a Western one. Also, those who are deeply in love can view each other as 'soulmates', but after years of marriage, one can fall out of love just as easily as one can fall in love.

I much prefer the term 'kindred spirits' and according to Karma, couples are put together for a reason - to work through their collective/combined Karma.

Viewed in this light, couples can be 'soulmates' as their soul destinies are dependent and reliant upon each other.

@ Philosoraptor - I am sorry if I am about to sound like a nitpicking bitch, but must nearly every post you make be a cheap shot at those who provide personal opinions on this board?

I am not undermining the authority and value of the Holy Scriptures, but are concepts without Scriptural basis any more/less relevant?

For example - Vaishnava Scriptures will say that Vishnu is the Supreme Lord and Shiva is a 'demigod'. Shaiva Scriptures say the opposite. If we are to base our views according to 'Scriptural evidence' who is right and who is wrong?

Isn't it up to personal opinion and discretion to choose which path they follow?

I can understand and appreciate your point, but your line of reasoning is getting old real fast.

Sorry if I disrespect.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Necromancer; 27 August 2013 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neoved View Post
    Namaste all.

Vannakkam: I mean no disrespect, but I've never heard this from any Hindu, nor seen it in scripture. So I wonder just where you did hear this from that brought you to say 'in connection with Hinduism'?

Most Hindus have arranged marriages, and that idea seems more congruent with love marriages.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste

Radha and KRshNa are soulmates
    Lakshmi and NArAyaNa are soulmates
    Gauri and Shankar are soulmates

So when VishNu descends here or anywhere else (takes avatAr), His soulmate(s) His various shaktis - Shridevi Bhudevi, all/some aspects of them, descend too.

Other than that, the concept of being married to/wanting to be married to the same person for 7 births is there - in smRti shAstra (scriptures remembered and retold rather than revealed or heard like the Vedas), itihAs (ancient history) and/or tradition (saMskRti). There are vrata (vows) that people (specially women) perform towards that end.

Shri Hari
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

But the general rule is that familial relationships change with each new birth. One can be a man in one birth and a woman in another. One can be one's father in one birth, and in another birth that one can be one's father.

The only "soulmate" we have is our paramAtmA who is with us always, and when we realize that, then we can enjoy true bliss.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    But the general rule is that familial relationships change with each new birth. One can be a man in one birth and a woman in another. One can be one's father in one birth, and in another birth that one can be one's father.

The only "soulmate" we have is our paramAtmA who is with us always, and when we realize that, then we can enjoy true bliss.
    Namaste.

Now that was very beautifully said!

+1 rep.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste.

I am pondering philosoraptor...pondering...

If I am to be reborn as a father, wife, sister, brother et cetera of another person (whom I may/not know in this lifetime)....that is to fulfill some undone Karma with that person/s right?

Now, if/when I do realise 'I am Atman' what becomes of the Souls of others? Of everybody else?

This 'relationship' between people indicates there are two/more Souls present and each Soul has their own Karma to work through.

So, if two or more Souls work through that Karma together (Until they realise 'I am Atman' in the meantime), they will be 'Soulmates' no?

*Now Scripture might be nice at this point.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste & triple post combo.

What I am asking, in essence, is how the Jivanmukta views Souls still bound up by the wheel of Karma?

To see them as all part of paramAtmA is erroneous and a lie, because of their conditioned nature, still bound up by the iron shackles of mind and Karma.

Also, according to the preface to Isopanishad, Brahman has no 'parts' anyway because it is ever...full.

To see them as not a part of the whole mans one hasn't realised anything and totally negates the above.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind
    Vannakkam: I mean no disrespect, but I've never heard this from any Hindu, nor seen it in scripture. So I wonder just where you did hear this from that brought you to say 'in connection with Hinduism'?

Most Hindus have arranged marriages, and that idea seems more congruent with love marriages.
    This is something I've heard anecdotally over the years when Hinduism has come up in conversation--conversations, I should add, that have occurred entirely among non-Hindus.

My own knowledge of the scriptures is limited, at the moment, to the Bhagavad Gita and some of the Upanishads, and my explorations into Sanatana Dharma are at this point entirely solitary and unassisted, so I'm not surprised to learn that this may not be as common an idea as I thought.

That said, the influence of the monism/dualism debate on this issue hadn't even occurred to me--this post certainly went in a more exciting direction than I intended!

Thread Information