Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eastern Massachusetts Temples mini Yatra

Eastern Massachusetts Temples mini Yatra

Namaskar,

I had an idea in December that I would find and visit every Temple in my home region, Eastern Massachusetts. Up until a little over a year ago I didn't know there were any Hindu Temples in my State. I was overjoyed when I learned of one, but it was quite a drive away. I also struggled with anxiety and self consciousness that kept me from going. Last Autumn things changed, and I resolved I would go, and find a place to visit regularly. I was still anxious, but posts at this forum and others were very supportive and encouraging, and gave me strength. But the drive to that only one I knew about was just not something that could be managed on any kind of regular basis.

I resolved that there must be other Temples in MA, we have a large community on the North shore and greater Lowell. I couldn't find them right away in web searches, but I would ask friends and search better. And I was right, there are more. There are apparently a lot more! And one is in my home town - not where I live now, but where I grew up and where some of my family still lives. That makes me really happy.

My first real chance to go to a temple around the time I found this out was in Florida in December. I wrote about that, first looking for Temples in that area and then offering my experience of the one I chose to visit. Because of an exchange in that thread and the support I felt when reading others' experiences here, I had the idea to write about each Temple, as a resource for others in Eastern MA, and South NH, and also to give some 'first experience' stories of each place to maybe help encourage others to take the step and go to Temple as well.

I intend to visit every Temple I can find, even if it doesn't focus on my Ishta Devata. If anyone would like to suggest any they know of or have heard of, I would be happy to include them as long as they're not more than an hour and a half drive

Today I went to the largest and most well known Temple in MA, Sri Lakshmi Mandir in Ashland MA for Sri Rudra Abishekham. I will write about it in the next post.

Temples coming up, (not necessarily in this order, list will be updated over time):
    Shree Swaminarayan Temple, Lowell
    Sri Chinmaya Maruti Temple, Andover
    Parvathi Parameshwara Temple, Lowell (hopefully, they might not still be active?)
    Sri Siddha Lalitha Peetham, Sree Vijaya Durga Temple, Burlington
    Hindu Temple of New Hampshire, Nashua

Those are the closest to me for now. If I'm missing any, let me know.

Visited so far:
    Sri Lakshmi Mandir in Ashland MA
    New England Shirdi Sai Parivaar Chelmsford
    Satsang Center, Woburn
    Shirdi Sai Baba Temple, Billerica
    Ramakrishna Vedanta Center, Boston

~Pranam-s
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 12 May 2014 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Update
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Re: Eastern Massachusetts Temples mini Yatra

Namaste,

Good to know about your resolve/intentions. It would be good if you could detail your visits to different temples in this thread. That way the members can get an idea about temples visited and encouragement from one thread, instead of having to search through the forum; just a thought.

Pranam.

Namaskar Believerji,

Apologies, yes I've been caught up elsewhere and not had a chance to post about my trip. Sometimes I wish there were more hours in a day.

Thank you for the wave though, I will endeavor to post tonight.

Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Sri Lakshmi Temple, Ashland MA

Namaskar,

My apologies for not posting this sooner. On January 20, I attended the largest temple in Massachusetts, Sri Lakshmi Temple, in Ashland MA. It was built to serve a rapidly expanding and diverse community throughout the greater Boston area and south east New England. It's incredibly easy to find, and the directions on their site are more reliable than Google's. I had heard it was very large and one friend described it as feeling more "like home". I have only been to one other temple in the US, my first experiences of Mandirs were in India. The Mandir I visited in Florida was the first Northern style temple I had seen, all white marble but for the Lingam, each God and Goddess in their own small altar chamber all together on a raised pavilion. For some reason I expected something more like that, though I don't know why.

Big doesn't really do Sri Lakshmi justice, though I can imagine there must be larger enclosed temple complexes. Stepping past the threshold of the boot/coat/washing area is like stepping into a piece of South India. The first thing that grabbed me was the sweet scent memory of Haldi, Chandan and flowers. I didn't even know I'd missed it.

The space is easily as large as a gymnasium, probably larger. Positioned at one end are three large, enclosed Garbha Griha with closed off entrance paths for priests, the Gods set well back by at least 16 feet. Each chamber can be circumambulated. Housed inside in gorgeous granite and brass and clad in fine cloth, are Sri Ganapati, Sri Mahalakshmi and Sri Venkateswara. In a shrine set back into the neighboring wall is Sri Nataraja accompanied by Sri Sivakami, and with a brass Lingam which sometimes stands before them representing Sri Rudra. In the center of the space is a black granite Garuda standing on a podium, and to either side, facing each other, are smaller shrines housing Sri Subramanya with his consorts and Sri Ayyappa. Next to Sri Subramanya and facing Sri Venkateswara from across the chamber is a shrine to Sri Hanuman, and between Sri Hanuman and Sri Subramania are the Navagraha.

There is a lot of simultaneous activity going on here at any given time, much like a large Temple complex and unlike my last experience. Even though I arrived fairly early, there was a good amount of people making offerings and circumambulating the shrines. I made my rounds, making offerings, and arrived a little late to the Sri Rudra Abishekham, though the crowd slowly gathered throughout the puja.

Because it is such a busy and lively Temple, the energy there is very high and hard to tap into for a newbie like me. I find temples like this leave me feeling a little dizzy and it takes a couple of days for the energy to settle. I think maybe I need more of this kind, it's not something I'm used to at all. So it was a bit hard for me to focus at first, especially as the Pandit was blowing through the Sri Rudram faster and less clearly than I have ever heard it. No one was attempting to sing it along with him, either, at least at first. Then came a priest I had seen earlier, who had stopped on his way in to smile at me welcomingly, and behind him came two other men. One had a powerful voice and kept up with the Pandit and still enunciate distinctly, the other was not as clear loud or steady, but the emotion was there. The three of them brought a beauty and elegance to the chant that I had been missing, and suddenly I found the energy in the puja.

I have experienced the same anxiety many westerners who with to start attending Temple often express, and I have, as I've stated elsewhere, taken strength from reading other people's accounts of their first visits here and elsewhere online. It seems to be a fairly common statement that people aren't spoken to or approached the first few times they go, except for sometimes by a Pandit or Priest. This is what I was expecting, but Sri Lakshmi surprised me again. After the puja, I was approached by two families in greeting, one of which returned moments later to share their Prasad with me even though we had all been given some. I was very touched. Why are we ever afraid to go, I wonder?

I made rounds again, offering my thanks and farewells as a procession for Sri Lakshmi began around the Temple, and as I was leaving the gentleman with the powerful voice approached to let me know there was Temple Prasad downstairs and I should go. So I followed. When I was looking for a spoon he came over again to tell me where they were so I couldn't help but tell him that I thought his singing was lovely. He smiled, said it was all a matter of Sadhana, and asked what made me interested in Hinduism. And completely unprepared for any kind of coherent conversation, dizzy from the high energy of the Temple and Puja, I proceeded to remind myself of why I often fear going places. But that's okay, I'm used to making myself look silly. Maybe I gave him something of a laugh, that would be a good thing, I just hope I didn't embarrass myself too much. When I said I was looking for a Temple community to join regularly he did laugh and said something about 'joining' temples that I didn't really catch, but then nodded and after asking where I was coming from offered the names of a few temples closer to me that I might try.

In all, it was a lovely experience on many levels. The scent memories - I didn't want to change out of my clothes after, they smelled so good - and the feelings the place brought back for me were welcome and unexpected. The people there were much more immediately welcoming than I expected, and not as surprised at me as at the last Temple I visited. The energy was a great recharge, though it was a bit larger and more busy than I expected and if it were closer to me that would take some getting used to I think.

I imagine it must be a wonderful place during festivals, and with Maha Shivaratri rapidly approaching, I am seriously thinking of spending it there... I don't want to go alone, though I will if I must. I know there is at least one other member here from MA, if anyone else is going there for Maha Shivaratri, and would consider meeting, please PM me.

I still fully intend to carry on with my exploration of Massachusetts Temples, as described above, but between the crazy weather we've been having - another blizzard tonight, no less - and the extra hours work is demanding at the moment, it may be a little while before the next.

Pranams everyone, and if you have made it this far then thank you for reading.
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 15 February 2014 at 09:58 PM.
    ~~~~~
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

New England Shirdi Sai Parivaar, Chelmsford MA

Namaskar,

I've been a bit complacent of late, an easy thing to find excuses for in late winter. And so after huddling indoors for what feels like weeks, save for cold dashes through storms to change locations from time to time, today was a sunny day and a business holiday, so I took advantage of it to go visit my next next Temple. Today I went to New England Shirdi Sai Parivaar in Chelmsford MA.

I arrived rather late, this was just one of those winter days where everything seemed to be going slow and I got a little caught up in the scenery. I grew up in the neighboring town, and many of the places I was driving through were my "old stomping grounds", as they say. The Temple is a bit more difficult to find, first because you have to contend with Chelmsford Center with typical New England road signage, (read: little to none), and confusing intersections. If you don't know where you are, you can get a bit turned around - especially as Google Maps names the roads only by their route numbers, which most signs along the roads don't use. Then there's the difficult to find address numbers on building complexes, and the snow berms making it that much harder to find them pretty much anywhere. And then there's Google saying it's on the right when it's not - it's on the left. Fun.

Right now the Temple is still in a temporary business or office space within a small strip mall, which I think it leases but might own. There's a Sai Baba Market in the mall facing the street and the Temple space is in number 4 around the left hand corner of the strip. They are breaking ground this year on construction of the new Temple, which will look exactly like the one on their website. It will be a wonderful thing to see, I look forward to it.

Right now there's a boot/coat hall along the window casement, with two doors into the main space on either end. I came in at the end of the morning Sai Baba puja and Aarti. The room is dominated by a pavilion set in from the side opposite the entrance, and which can be circumambulated. On it is a murti of Sri Sai Baba in white marble, in iconic pose. It is claimed to be life-size, but it looked a bit larger. He sits on an ornate silver throne, draped in fine cloth and golden cloth to cover his head, ornamented in lovely garlands. His one visible foot is also enshrined in ornately worked silver, and off to one side on a pedestal sits a white marble carving of his lotus feet. Behind that on an altar pedestal sits a replica of the grand murti, on a much smaller scale. On the other side of the pavilion was a closed box which looked a bit like a diya shelf? There were a lot of small lights inside, but I didn't get a better look. Across from the pavilion, facing Sri Sai Baba on his own marble pedestal and draped in silk and gold ornaments was Nandi.

I didn't see any other murtis in the space, but there were Icons on the walls circling the room and draped in garlands. It's also likely that small murtis might be kept tucked away until brought out for puja.

I entered at the symbolic feeding and offering of water, after which we stood to sing Bhajans and offer Aarti. I couldn't sing along to any of the Bhajans, though I did recognise a few as based off of some of the same hymns I am learning. The worshipers there were clearly a small community who tend to come at the same time on Mondays, which makes sense. No one blinked twice at me or my participating in Aarti, but no one approached me while I was there either. The Pandit was young and seemed to still be training, but his passion was there and energized the room. He smiled at me encouragingly a couple of times, but didn't seem to know what to think of me. When he did try and ask me if I knew who Sri Sai Baba was, we weren't able to communicate well. I think maybe he wanted to talk to me but didn't have the English, and I sadly do not have enough Hindi or Sanskrit yet to attempt communication - if he even speaks either of those. But I was very appreciative that he tried.

It is a lovely place, the energy there is strong and warm, different than in either of the other two temples I've visited so far. I am very much looking forward to seeing this community develop as the Temple is built. I will probably visit again, but my search for a Temple to visit regularly continues. A decade or more ago the teachings of Sri Sai Baba Shirdi were some of my first real forays into Hindu Sanatana Dharma, as opposed to the Zen Buddhist flavor. A few years ago this Temple might have felt a lot like home. But today, while I still hold a great love and respect for Sai Babaji, and the energy there was familiar and warm, it didn't resonate with me in a way I could feel and use.

I would encourage anyone interested to check out this lovely place. They even post their Bhajans and prayers on their website for you to print first. Perhaps as time goes on with construction, I might be able to get some pictures to post.

Next temple will be, I think, Sri Siddha Lalitha Peetham. Weather permitting I will go for the evening Abishekham this coming Monday - it's close enough that I could easily make it every week. I am very much looking forward to this visit.

Pranams
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 23 February 2014 at 12:45 AM.
    ~~~~~
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Vannakkam Aanandinii: Very nice descriptions, and sharing of your experiences. I'm glad you're having an interesting time. Temples are such fascinating temples. Nandri.

Aum Namasivaya

A Temple in Woburn

Namaskar,

So, I have a change in plans for this coming week. I was out gathering supplies for Shivaratri and had stopped at my favorite local grocery and supply store where I buy most of my puja supplies. The family that owns it is very nice and the mother of the store has been very helpful and kind, though I never speak much. But we got to chatting today and I mentioned I would probably be going to Sri Lakshmi for Maha Shivaratri and have been looking for a Temple to visit weekly. She said, "You know there's a temple just on the corner here, right? Lakshmi is too far and too much traffic. Come here, you can come every day, it's very close."

I don't know if I will go for Maha Shivaratri because they are not doing an all night vigil, and I wish to. Of course I could always do it at home after, but I am not sure and am a little afraid I might fall asleep. Also I want the energy of a group. Regardless, I will either go tomorrow or Monday. Probably Monday, tomorrow is looking like it's going to be kind of busy... LOL

This Temple is the Woburn Satsang Center. From what she told me and looking at their site, and from how close it is, this could end up being my regular Temple. They have a very diverse community there, and apparently an excellent Pandit. I am very happy and really looking forward to going.

If this does become my regular Temple, this will not stop my going to other Temples, I want to continue with that. I had planned to go to Sri Siddha Lalitha Peetham Monday, and if I do manage to go to Woburn tomorrow I still might, but if not then I will go to Sri Siddha Lalitha the following week. I will decide what to do for Maha Shivaratri after going to the Satsang Center.

Pranams
    ~~~~~
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Satsang Center, Woburn MA

Namaskar,

Sometimes I wonder where time goes. I did not intend for a month to pass before updating. I hope it has been a good month for all.

I did go to the Woburn MA Satsang Center on Feb 24th on the 27th, 29th and have gone every Monday since.

The space is owned by the local Satsang Community and is smack in the Town Center about a 2 minute walk from a very large, mostly overnight, free, municipal parking lot. It can be hard to find parking there though, sometimes you must circle for a bit. One of the nice things about Woburn is it still has an old New England feel despite being close to Boston, and drivers tend to respect crosswalks. Nearby is a very good little Indian bakery - they make fantastic sweets and keema pastries and often have a small buffet around lunch time - and there are two good Indian groceries.

The building is a standard Old New England Town Meeting Hall. It actually looks rather like a church, big and rectangular, white, stained glass windows and all, but it wasn't. It's a historical landmark being one of the oldest buildings in town, so the Community is not allowed to make any changes that affect the appearance of the exterior. But they have been slowly renovating the interior over time. The Basement and first floor have been transformed and plans are underway to renovate the second floor.

This is a small but growing community meeting place, as I have found most of the Massachusetts Temples to be. Most are kept by small communities of devotees who are of the same sect, or are from the same region, or sishyas under the same Guru - and often some combination of the three. They tend to only be open an hour or two every day or certain days, except on Festivals and Holy Days.

This particular Satsang Community is largely Gujarati. The forms of God represented are mostly seated on a three tiered pillar in the center of the north eastern quadrant of the building, facing west. From bottom to top, left to right are: Sri Hanuman ji, Sri Gayatri Mata, The Pranav (Omkara, Breath/Sound of Creation), Sri Amba Mata, Sri Ganapati ji, Srinathji, Sri Ram Pariwar, Sri Radha Krishna, Sri Guru ji (I am not sure who the Guru of this Community is, but I believe it might be Pandit Shriram Sharma Acharya ji), and Sri Shiv ji. The pillar is able to be circumambulated. To the south east are the Sri Navagraha, (also able to be circumambulated), Sri Hanuman and Sri Someswara represented by a beautiful Narmadeswara Lingam that is pretty impressive considering it must have been privately shipped. It is attended by a lovely and unique - to me at least - Nandi and Mata Parvati. All is in white marble, but for Shrinathji. The basement holds a large kitchen and dining hall for Mahaprasad after Holiday and Festival Gatherings.

There are also some smaller shrines in the building, such as an ensconced Sri Radha Krishna by the front entrance and in the far north east of the gathering space a shrine with a silver, seated Sri Shiva and Sri Durga Ma on her Lion, surrounded by small black granite Lingams that were each brought back to the temple from one of the Jyotorlingas. And there is a baby Rudraksha tree by the Narmadeswara Lingam, too. I wonder what will happen as it grows... I hope they find a way to keep it.

I find the energy there strong, from the first moment I sat. The first night I was fairly trembling with it, and found I couldn't look at Sri Shiv Ji for long without tears. The light in the room can seem to become like a thick haze when meditating, or attempting to meditate, and looking up at Sri Shiva. But, this is my own experience, it may not apply to others, but I know I have at the very least found a Kos Minar along my path, and a nice community to share my growing joy with. I have found the community here very open and friendly, inviting and kind. I have not had time to continue on and visit the next Temple on my local journey, but it looks like the next chance I get will end up being the one in my home town. I was recently invited to visit it and I hope to be going back soon to see family.

-Pranams
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 31 March 2014 at 05:36 PM. Reason: I realize I didn't include as much information, apologies. Corrected now. :)
    ~~~~~
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

I currently live in the boston area.

Have you visited the Vedanta Center in kenmore? lovely place

Namaskar Eric ji,
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric11235 View Post
    I currently live in the boston area.

Have you visited the Vedanta Center in kenmore? lovely place
    No, actually I hadn't found that in any of my searches so it wasn't even on my list. Thank you, I'll add it.

Do you mean the RamaKrishna Vedanta Society? Interesting, have they started construction on the Center Project yet? That's a nice area for it.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Thread Information