Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why should I work?

Re: Why should I work?

Thank You Sir for your invaluable and motivational reply.
    My predicament is that I'm overwhelmed by the fact that this material world is just the reflection of real (spiritual) world and the knowledge we are given is just about physical world which is not true knowledge and these are not my words, it's written in Bhagavad Gita. But I seem to have found out my way as you would see if you read other posts of mine or you must have already read them b'coz my posts are not in order..

Thank You Sir

Namasté cybernetics

Just reading through your posts, have you read any Douglas Adams?

You might know of Marvin?

I highly recommend the Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy to you. I think that you need a laugh!

praNAma

mana

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    Namasté cybernetics

Just reading through your posts, have you read any Douglas Adams?

You might know of Marvin?

I highly recommend the Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy to you. I think that you need a laugh!

praNAma

mana
    No, I haven't read it. Could you please tell me what is it all about. But, to tell you the truth I'm not depressed now and have faith in God that He's always there with me. It's not that I am not enjoying my life. In fact I am enjoying it more that most of us can.
    But still if I can learn something new or if it is worth reading I'll give it a shot but do tell me how does it help..

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post

I highly recommend the Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy to you. I think that you need a laugh
    I would highly recommend HHGG to anybody who can read english. Good suggestion.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

6. Re: Why should I work?

hi cybernetics

Firstly i must say that i am pleased to see a young person who has such concern for dharma...that is the first and most important step....

I believe the answer to your query may be in trying to reach a balance...a balance between practical life and spiritual life...Lord Krishna has said that 'the one who performs his dharma is most dear to me'...each of us have various duties/dharma that we acquire as being part of a family or society...a father has to protect the family, a mother has to take care of the husband and kids, kids have to grow up and take care of their parents...this is a very basic level of duties that we acquire by birth and need to be fulfilled...

the next level of your duties is to be useful to mankind and society...you have been fortunate enough to have gained engineering knowledge unlike the thousands of others who are not even able to afford a day's meal...hence you have a great opportunity to make use of your profession to build useful devices, make money and help others as much as you can...i know you may feel that 'money' is not to be desired and that we should not go behind it...but, we have to realize that in today's world we definitely need money to live and to help others...making money is not evil, if the intention behind it is selfless...you need to be able to stand firmly on your own feet if you want to give a hand and help another person...hence i would suggest that you keep the desire to help mankind alive in your heart and work hard to be successful, so that you can help society.....you have to realize that one man alone cannot change the world directly, but a single individual can inspire and motivate millions...hence through your actions and your life you can set an example and do your part in saving mankind....

as for the spiritual side..you have to be practical and understand that the whole world works on an inter-dependant balance system..for eg-the trader is dependant on the farmer for food and the farmer is dependant on the trader for other items...similarly we each have our own duties to perform and can definitely grow spiritually along with it...i presume the dear members of HD forum would agree with me that there is no single method that takes us closer to god, each different way is unique and successful...it is not necessary that one has to do severe penance to please god or get inner peace...if done with devotion, then even a single minute of sincere prayer can take you closer...i would suggest you read this simple story which will make my point clear Who Is A Devotee-by Lord Vishnu

Hence i would suggest that you fulfill your duties as a son, an engineer, a fellow citizen and a child of god with equal zeal and interest...since each one of them is equally significant in the eyes of god...bring back your interest in studies, since constant learning and the thirst for wisdom is the trait of a successful man...make sure you make your life one that will later be looked upon by millions as a perfect example of how to balance all duties of an individual and still attain spiritual bliss...

Sorry for the long post...pls do forgive any words of ignorance present...i myself am a young engineer and just told you how i feel you can solve your dilemma...may god bless you

Om

"Why should I work?"

Unfortunately not all of us are Jews.

Quote Originally Posted by internationalhindu View Post
    hi cybernetics

Firstly i must say that i am pleased to see a young person who has such concern for dharma...that is the first and most important step....

I believe the answer to your query may be in trying to reach a balance...a balance between practical life and spiritual life...Lord Krishna has said that 'the one who performs his dharma is most dear to me'...each of us have various duties/dharma that we acquire as being part of a family or society...a father has to protect the family, a mother has to take care of the husband and kids, kids have to grow up and take care of their parents...this is a very basic level of duties that we acquire by birth and need to be fulfilled...

the next level of your duties is to be useful to mankind and society...you have been fortunate enough to have gained engineering knowledge unlike the thousands of others who are not even able to afford a day's meal...hence you have a great opportunity to make use of your profession to build useful devices, make money and help others as much as you can...i know you may feel that 'money' is not to be desired and that we should not go behind it...but, we have to realize that in today's world we definitely need money to live and to help others...making money is not evil, if the intention behind it is selfless...you need to be able to stand firmly on your own feet if you want to give a hand and help another person...hence i would suggest that you keep the desire to help mankind alive in your heart and work hard to be successful, so that you can help society.....you have to realize that one man alone cannot change the world directly, but a single individual can inspire and motivate millions...hence through your actions and your life you can set an example and do your part in saving mankind....

as for the spiritual side..you have to be practical and understand that the whole world works on an inter-dependant balance system..for eg-the trader is dependant on the farmer for food and the farmer is dependant on the trader for other items...similarly we each have our own duties to perform and can definitely grow spiritually along with it...i presume the dear members of HD forum would agree with me that there is no single method that takes us closer to god, each different way is unique and successful...it is not necessary that one has to do severe penance to please god or get inner peace...if done with devotion, then even a single minute of sincere prayer can take you closer...i would suggest you read this simple story which will make my point clear Who Is A Devotee-by Lord Vishnu

Hence i would suggest that you fulfill your duties as a son, an engineer, a fellow citizen and a child of god with equal zeal and interest...since each one of them is equally significant in the eyes of god...bring back your interest in studies, since constant learning and the thirst for wisdom is the trait of a successful man...make sure you make your life one that will later be looked upon by millions as a perfect example of how to balance all duties of an individual and still attain spiritual bliss...

Sorry for the long post...pls do forgive any words of ignorance present...i myself am a young engineer and just told you how i feel you can solve your dilemma...may god bless you

Om

This was amazing. The story of farmer is so true and now I have even more confidence in my understanding of the balance between spiritual and physical world.

Dear cybernetics,

Please do not address me as "Sir" as that creates a formality gap in the conversation...

First of all i am very happy that the words of Sri Krishna, filled with nectar, are clearing your doubts...

"But, what I was saying is quite different. I'll try to make it clear with that same story of yours. Suppose that the bus driver is not reluctant for an extra trip in the morning but what he is really concerned about the wastage of fuel..i.e carrying only one or two people in a BUS is surely wastage of fuel. So, although he is very clear about his duty, that is to take people from one place to the other, but considering the wastage he refuses to take another trip.. will that again be wrong.."

I am also happy because while writing the previous post, i thought about the exact scenario mentioned by you, but did not include it as i thought it would be better to give that if you reply......

Sri Krishna has answered every possible question we get in Bhagavad Gita, all we need to do is understand His beautiful words carefully...Bhagavad Gita 18.48

saha-jam karma kaunteya
    sa-dosam api na tyajet
    sarvarambha hi dosena
    dhumenagnir ivavrtah

karma saha-jam na tyajet sa-dosham api
    duty which is assigned[born] along with the instrument[us], should not be given up, even if there are faults in it...
    sarvaarambhaah aavrthah doshena agni iva dhumena
    every materialistic endeavor is covered by fault just like fire is covered by smoke....

this is such an important verse which actually answers your question completely...we as an instrument have been assigned a particular set of tasks based on our previous conditioning and our previous actions....its very much
    true that whatever task we are assigned now will have some or other fault or dosha...as nothing materialistic is perfect...just as the purest agni is also covered by smoke, the tasks we do surely have some faults...

"So, same is with me. Actually what people are doing today is just for the material benefits. There is still no guarantee
    whether that person will be saved by the doctor coz ultimately it's in the hands of God. "

Very well said and this statement again answers your question....people who work only for materialistic benefits will definitely reap the results of such actions...no one can escape the laws....but then as Paramathma said, its just the duty of the Bus driver to drive the bus, even though its covered with the fault that there is some wastage of fuel...but what actually is
    most important is in order to get rid of ourselves from the results of materialistic activities which are in some way or the other filled with faults, is to offer everything to Him... by working for Him....

"We don't have to perform our duty blindly but we have to do it in Krishna Consciousness and we have to do only that thing which is good for dharma..."
    Again very well said...the term "dharma" actually defines that boundary or filter which makes sure we do not misuse the verse 18.48 and start doing
    things blindly....

my dear friend in case you need more details regarding the types of actions, types of doers and the results associated, please read this detailed post http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...35&postcount=5

Quote Originally Posted by SanathanaDharma View Post
    Dear cybernetics,

Please do not address me as "Sir" as that creates a formality gap in the conversation...
    Okay SanathanaDharma, but there is one doubt about it that whether it really creates a formality gap or I should have written Sir/Ma'am because there's no gender indicated in any of the profiles..

Jokes apart, I feel so good by being here with people like you. It's a feeling far better than being on any other forum or stupid things like Facebook..
    And no need to mention how good the link u posted is.. Hoping to share more stuff of this kind with you..
    I don't know much stories but I would like to recommend Krishna Das' Music to all those who don't know about him. This may be obvious but I came to know about him just an year ago..

Thread Information