Thread: The Svetasvatara Upanishad

The Svetasvatara Upanishad

Namaste

The Svetasvatara Upanishad reveals Rudra as the Brahman. It states Rudra is One and there is no place for a second. I am embarrassed to say, I cannot recall studying this. I know there is a translation by Max Muller, but I am not interested in that one.

I noticed Amazon has a copies for sale by Swami Thyagisananda. That might be a good edition. There are also versions for sale by Vedavati Vaidika, Swami Nikhilananda, Swami Sivananda.

Note – I am referring to the Svetasvatara, not the Sri Svetasvatara.

I found a free copy which was the translations by Sw. Nikhilananda, but what I am looking for is inclusive of the Sanskrit texts, word by word translation, full translation, and commentary.

One of the amazing verses (Sw. Nikhilananda) which I found intriguing is 1:4 – “The sages saw the wheel of Brahman, which has one felly, a triple tire, sixteen end-parts, fifty spokes with twenty counter spokes and six sets of eight, whose one rope is manifold, which moves on three different roads, and whose illusion arises from two causes”.

There is no commentary. But this is what I want to unlock.

I went to Omkara’s library, and found the same free copy by Sw. Nikhilananda.

So I want to buy a version inclusive of the Sanskrit texts, word by word translation, full translation, and commentary, any recommendations? And I want to unlock that verse with full understanding, any commentary or elucidation?

Om Namah Sivaya

Re: The Svetasvatara Upanishad

I have a translation like that, with word for word Sanskrit-English translation. I'll upload it when I have time and inform you.
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Namaste Omkara

You are amazing! Thank you so much.

Om Namah Sivaya

The verse that interested you is from Rig Veda 1.164 which is full of such verses- http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rv01164.htm
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

A Shaivite library

Om shrImAtrE namah

A Shaivite library

Namaste Omkara

I now have, thanks to your upload, a word which I must have as part of my vocabulary:

Devatmashakti – we see three words: Atma or self, the Shakti or the Energy of Deva, and then Deva or “the Other meaning God”. Of course, I am using very “beginner” level terms and putting it into a context that I can understand, so I am subject to critical mistakes. But here is a word that I want to use, it is all three in one. If all three are in one, then what is left outside of that? I wonder, if anything is left? I am don’t know.

Now I can understand in layman terms what TRUE presence is. All three together is like a Light where without that light things are in the dark, we may bump into each other or pass by each other and not even know. When the presence is inclusive of all three, emotion now has a mind and a will. Another amazing thing of this Upanishad is, is that the commentator says ALL THREE “philosophies” or darshanas, Dvaita, Vishishtavaita (I don’t know anything about this but it seems “in-between” or “aspects” of both Dvaita and Advaita), and Advaita itself are present in the verses of this Upanishad. Now I am wondering, is Shakti also Vishishtavaita, Advaita is Deva and Dvaita is Atma? Sorry if this is a typical and ignorant reach by a layman, but the Tri-Darshanas are there in this Upanishad, so I am thinking THREE once more as if, you turn focus on Vishishtavaita you are focusing on the will which comes from Shakti (Whom I consider Devi), when you focus on the Atma you are focusing on the relationships of the Atma but in terms of the everlasting relationship and thus Dvaita, and if you are focusing on Advaita it is Deva Who is All Things. I can understand Advaita in my terms when I think of my Mahadeva as the Ashen Lord Shiva in Meditation or Samadhi where the Ultimate Truth is Present (“true presence” – all THREE are there). Again, I apologize, I am sitting in a room reading, and not being told from a teacher, so this is simply my reactions to this reading.

This version also unlocks the verse that had me captured, thanks to the commentary of Swami Tyagishananda! That we think of Him as the Universe resembling a WHEEL of:

1. One felly – Circumference of the wheel
    Ether where the whole of such things resides or depends (inclusive of maya, Prakriti, Shakti, Agyana).

2. Triple tyre – Sattva, Rajas, Tamas, but amazingly also time, space and causation, Triputi.

3. Sixteen extremities – 16 Vikritis of Sangkhya philosophy
    11 organs or Indriyas and 5 gross elements or Panchabhutas.
    Here I stop for a moment. This 11 is the 11 “doors” or senses or doors of perception as we see in the body (eye or seeing, nose or smelling, tongue or tasting, ear or hearing, touch) and then as we see in our activities (eliminating, reproducing, moving, grasping, speaking) plus the “third eye”. When I hear 11, I think of the 11 Rudras where sometimes it is said Shiva is the 11th Rudra (third eye). Also when I think of 5 bhutas, I am thinking of 5 ghosts but here the bhutas are earth, air, fire, water and ether. But we do not forget the Primordial Ether in which earth, air, fire and water and all things reside as in the circumference of the wheel. But in terms of “ghosts”, that is not what the commentator is saying, he doesn’t use the word “ghost” so this might be another bhutas perhaps, or perhaps we can consider the five “elements” as ghosts since they will all eventually dissolve? Vikriti I think is change which is brought by Prakriti which I as a layman identify as Nature. I will need to further explore this, but now I can understand from the commentator that the 16 are part of Sankya Philosophy.

4. Fifty spokes – 5 misconceptions (Viparyayas), 28 disabilities (Ashaktis), 9 satisfactions (Tushtis), 8 Siddhis (what I think of as mystic powers but commentator calls perfections). So here I can see, though the commentator does not say so, that mystic powers or siddhas also make the wheel turn – they exist right now since the wheel turns. But such powers are in the same layer as things that we think of as a negative (perhaps with the exclusion of perhaps satisfactions in cases, but I do not know the specific 9 satisfactions, which will need further study).

5. Twenty counter spokes – Ten senses and the ten objects which are the wedges that strengthen the spokes.

6. Six sets of eight – The eightfold Nature or Prakrityashtaka such as elements, mind, intellect and ego, eight components of the body such as blood etc., eight psychic powers, eight mental states including jyana, eight types of Divine and Beings including Rakshasas etc., eight virtues of the soul.

7. Three different rods – Dharma, Adharma and Jyana.

8. Belt – Kama or lust/desire

9. Each revolution – moha or delusion

Thanks again Omkara for sharing this, an exciting study awaits!

Om Namah Sivaya

Thread Information