Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shiva Bhajans

Smile Re: Shiva Bhajans

Here is a great song about Shiva! I absolutely love this song. Everytime I hear it I feel great a sense of euphoria, and energy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYcjcg4gwL8

OM NAMAH SHIVAYA!!!

OM SHAKTHI OM!!!

HAR HAR MAHADEV!!!!

JAI MATA DI!!!!

Om

Re: Shiva Bhajans

I have been listening to a Bhajan for months now and I'm still not sure what it means in full, yet I enjoy it very much. If someone would be so kind as to translate this for me then I would be incredibly grateful.

"Om Namah Shivaya Namah Shivaya Hara Hara Bole Namah Shivaya

Ganga Dhara Shiva Ganga Dhara Hara Hara Bole Namah Shivaya

Vishweshvara Shiva Vishweshvara Hara Hara Bole Namah Shivaya

Rameshwara Shiva Rameshwara Hara Hara Bole Namah Shivaya

Jatadhara Shiva Jatadhara Hara Hara Bole Namah Shivaya

Someshwar Shiva Someshwar Hara Hara Bole Namah Shivaya

Koteshwara Shiva Koteshwara Hara Hara Bole Namah Shivaya"

These are the lyrics according to a youtube user who posted them.

Namaste.

Om Namah Shivaya!
    ~ Om Namah Shivaya ~

Namaste Seeking,

I do not know the translation of that song, but I love that one as well, very much. I have actually heard several different versions, so it must be a popular one. Will you share the link to the one you are referring to? Here is one of my favorites:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl8Sbi5-6Zk.

Pranam.
    Om Namah Shivaya

Post Re: Shiva Bhajans

Hi friend,

There are certain bhajans called as Dhun.This is a very beautiful one.I'll try to translate it.

"Om Namah Shivaya Namah Shivaya Hara Hara Bole Namah Shivaya

Ganga Dhara Shiva Ganga Dhara Hara Hara Bole Namah Shivaya

Someshwar Shiva Someshwar Hara Hara Bole Namah Shivaya

Koteshwara Shiva Koteshwara Hara Hara Bole Namah Shivaya"

Om,Salutations to Lord Shiva,who is also called Hara.Salutations to Lord Hara,the destroyer.Let us repeatedly chant his name.

(Let us attain happiness by repeating his name.)
    (Hara, means one who destroys.He eliminates the of miseries of the world and the ignorance,fear and doubts present in the mind.By destroying these external and internal negativeness,he establishes confidence and blesses with happiness.There fore he is the known as the ever auspicious Lord Shiva.)

Salutations to Ganga dhara,the one who bears Sri Ganga Devi on his forehead.
    (Pls refer to the story of the tapas of Bhagiratha and the descent of Ganges river.Here Lord Shiva saves the world from the might of Ganges by capturing her on his head.)

Salutations to Vishveshwara,the one who is the Lord of the whole cosmos.Salutations to Him, who has manifested as a Jyotirlinga in the holy city of Kashi.

Salutations to Rameshwara,the Lord worshiped by Sri Ram to attain victory over evil.Salutations to Him, who has manifested as a Jyotirlinga in the holy city of Rameshwara.

Salutations to Jatadhara,the Lord having matted hair.This is an attribute of great Yogis or Sages engaged in meditation and imparting true knowledge.Salutations to the Greatest Sage of all time,the one with matted locks.

Saluations to Someshwara,the Lord who bears Soma-the Moon on himself.He saved the Moon god-Sri Chandra from the curse of his father-in-law Daksha and wore him on his head to protect him from destruction.Salutations to him who is concerned about his devotees and saved his devotee by putting on His head.Salutations to Him, who has manifested as a Jyotirlinga in the holy city of Somnath.

Salutations to Koteshwara.

I'm not sure about this but I assume it means Kotilingeshwara,the lord who has taken the form of crores(infinite number) of lingas at different places.The Lord Shiva,who is present everywhere for the sake of His devotees,to whom he is the father,mother and everything.
    Let us repeatedly chant his name.Let us attain happiness by repeating his name.

If there are any mistakes forgive me.

Edit:I appreciate Sri Aanandinii's detailed presentation below.I think the place where Ravana was forced to leave the Atmalinga of Lord Shiva is Gokarna.However, many places maybe associated with same incident.
    Last edited by Ram11; 01 April 2014 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Small Info.

Namaste Fem_pheonix, this is the rendition I listen to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq-CKdT6IG4

Enjoy

Om Namah Shivaya!
    ~ Om Namah Shivaya ~

Namaskar SeekingPeaceOfMind ji,

I am only just learning Sanskrit and am a fairly new Saivite, but may be able to help some. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can come and give correction where I get things wrong.
    edit to add: I see Ram ji answered while I was typing. In many ways his is better and far more concise - and thanks so much, confirmed a few things I wonder about below. I'll still leave this too though.
    First the song. The words are missing a line:
    Gangadhara Shiva Gangadhara Hara Hara Bole Namah Shivaya
    Someshwara Shiva Someshwara Hara Hara Bole Namah Shivaya
    Koteshwara Shiva Koteshwara Hara Hara Bole Namah Shivaya
    Mahakaleshvara Hara Hara Bole Namah Shivaya
    This is a very popular Bhajan, one of the first I learned. These are some of Lord Shiva's 1008 names, and most of the ones chanted here are famous Temples to that specific aspect of the Lord - The Temple is named after the aspect the Lord took at that location. Some are Jyotirlinga Temples. The Jyotorlinga are places where Lord Shiva manifested in person form and stayed in the form of the Lingam to benefit Humanity, usually as a boon asked for from a Bhakti or group of worshipers. I have been told,, (so don't know for certain if it's true), that once there were 64 of them, to be found all around the world, but most were lost and the only ones still known for certain are the 12 in India. They are all great pilgrimage sites.

The quick answer is this Bhajan calls out to Lord Shiva in Praise, then lists one of His many Names/Aspects and calls praise to that, then praises Him again.

Long answer:
    "Namah Shivaya" is really a mantra and has deep meanings. But here it's probably meant more as "Adoration to" or "Obeisance to" Lord Shiva

"Hara" is a name for Lord Shiva. Again, I am just starting to learn Sanskrit so I may be off a bit here, but I believe this is Nomitive form and is used as a way to call out to Lord Shiva while using his name; such as, "Hara Hara!" Which can then also be followed by another name of His. Lord Vishnu also has a name like this, "Hari".

"Bhole", as I understand it, means "Innocent", and Lord Shiva is often called the "Innocent Lord", or "Bholenath" - another of his names.

"-esvara" is a Sanskrit suffix derived from "Iishwarah" = "God". As a suffix added to a word or name, it indicates dominion over, so "Lord of".

So you have:
    Rameshwara = Rameshwar is one of the most famous Jyotorlinga and is in Rameshwaram, Tamil Nadu. This is where Lord Ram stopped to pray to Lord Shiva before pressing his attack on the Demon Ravana, and where He gave thanks for victory after. Lord of both the City and the Temple.

Gangadhara = Lord of Ganga. Not a Jyortorlinga, but She flows from his locks.

Jatadhara = ?? I am not clear on this one. I think 'Jata' is what we call dreadlocks, and Lord Shiva is the Lord with the flowing locks, so I have always interpreted this to mean exactly that, "Lord of Jata" or "Crowned with Jata", which would be a similar concept to "Supreme Yogin" as the Locks are a sign of Yogis and Sadhus.

Someshwara = Soma is a name for the Moon, and also is a cooling drink and/or energy vibration used in ritual and meditation. Lord Shiva is the Lord of the Moon and of the cooling power of Soma on the kundalini and mind. I have an imperfect understanding of this, so may be missing something. What drink Soma actually is has been lost to history, though the power of Soma is still called from Lord Shiva and Chandra to help control in Meditation. It is said Lord Shiva's left eye is the Moon, and of course he is crowned by Chandra in his waning aspect to protect Chandra from death. So here he is the Lord of the Moon and Cooling, Controlling Will. Also, Somnath Temple in Gujarat, a Jyotorlinga dedicated to Someshwara.

Vishwesvara = Vishwanath is the Jyotorlinga and famous Shiva temple in Kashi, aka Varnasi. The Temple is again named after the Lord, in this aspect Vishwanath, which as I understand it means "Lord of the Universe" or "Creation", but I would love some clarification on the Sanskrit here. I feel like a better translation would be "Lord Whose Form Is The Universe"? Either way, this name means something like Lord (of) Vishwanath, and could also mean Lord of All Form.

Koteshwara = Koteshwar is a very famous Temple in Gujarat, and is tied to Ravana. There are various stories behind how the Lingam arrived there. The one I know goes: Ravana wished for a great Lingam for his people in his city so to win the boon from Lord Shiva he performed an immense tapasya but wasn't answered, so he performed a great feat - he attempted to pick up Mount Kailash from it's roots. He disturbed the Lord enough that he won the boon and also the strength to bear the Lingam temporarily. But he was warned that he wouldn't be able to bear the Lingam after he had set it down, so he must carry it until he reached the place he wished it to stay and it would take root wherever he set it down. He was tricked into setting it down, some say by Nandi and some say by the Gods, who didn't want him to have the Lingam, and there the Great Lingam took root. Some say Ravana dropped it from great height on his way home, some again say due to interference by the Gods or a trick, and that it shattered into a thousand small Lingams when it struck Earth in the spot of this Temple. Ravana couldn't tell which was the one containing the main part of the power in the original, so grabbed one and continued home.

Mahakaleshwara = Mahakaleshwar is a famous Jyotorlinga in Ujain. The name means "Great Lord of Time", and the Jyotorlingam here is singular in that it's Peetham Spout faces east and the Diety faces south - this is significant to Tantric practice, and apparently one of the meanings of this is that it doesn't need to be charged by mantras, blessings and worship to maintain its strong power, but draws it's own power from within itself - it is Swayambhu. This is also supposed to be the only Jyotorlinga with a Sri Yantra in the Garba Griha roof above it.

So, that's my attempt at translating the Bhajan, for better or for worse. Am happy to learn better if it's 'for worse' though - please correct and teach.

~Pranams
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 01 April 2014 at 08:31 PM.
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Namaskar ji,

Thanks so much to everyone for their posts, many of these have become favorites now. My apologies for the double post but I have been meaning for some time to add some songs, and in light of posting some modern electric music elsewhere I thought I might add some balance with more melodic offerings, and possibly a couple slightly more traditional ones, (I think), as well.

I quite love Uma Mohan's music. Spoiler, it's pretty Produced:
    Shiva Panchakshara Stotram Shiva Shadakshara Stotram
    Nirvana Shatakam - Adi Shankara
    Rudrashtakam

Mast Malang - I'm not sure about if the video is meant to be a bit camp and humorous or if that's my cultural misunderstanding, but I love the energy and joy in this song, it's fun.

Thiruvasagam (Potrith thiruvahaval) Sung by Karumari Karuna

Shivji Satya Hai by Sonu Niigaam (Nigam) and Sukhwinder Sin

Shiva Mahimna Stotram - sung by Shri Ramesh Bhai Oza

Om Jai Shiv Omkara- - Lord Shiva Aarti

I found the last in a movie and love it. Speaking of modern media, I adore these songs from Devon ke dev Mahadev:
    Yagyaswaroopaya
    Bholenatha
    Sangeet Vina

~Pranams
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Thread Information