Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this forum mostly visited by converted Hindus?

Is this forum mostly visited by converted Hindus?

Hello,
    I've joined this forum recently and during this last few days of browsing thru the discussions found in this forum,i get the feeling the most members here are converted to Hindus and are not mainstream Hindus like myself who are born as Hindus with all its sanskaras.
    Is my perception right or i'm totally wrong with that?
    Regards.

Re: Is this forum mostly visited by converted Hindus?

Vannakkam: Why would it matter?

Aum Namasivaya

Pranam

How did you work that out!

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by lalit1000 View Post
    i get the feeling the most members here are converted to Hindus and are not mainstream Hindus like myself who are born as Hindus with all its sanskaras.
    A very valid question, one may need to know if he/she can discuss cultural or other peripheral issues too or keep it strictly to the practice of Hinduism. Even there, some adoptees have developed a new Hindu core and identify with Hinduism at the deepest level, while others may break into discussing Xitianity or try to validate Xitian principles in the backdrop of Hinduism, which does happen infrequently here.

So, to answer your question, we have a mix of the two, or I should say mix of three: Hindus either living in India or born and raised Indian Hindus living abroad, Hindus who are the offspring of Indian immigrants to various countries like US, UK, Fiji, Guyana etc., and the last group is the Hindu adoptees from various countries.

Does it matter what their background is? Yes, when you want to talk about nuanced cultural/ethnic/political issues, but it is immaterial when discussing the religious philosophy. In fact most born Hindus are sort of non-practicing types and live on the fringes of their religion for their cultural identity only, but the adoptees are more dedicated and practice it seriously with faith and devotion.

I hope you feel comfortable with every kind as they are all part of the greater Hindu family and are here to learn/teach/discuss.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 08 July 2014 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    I hope you feel comfortable with every kind as they are all part of the greater Hindu family and are here to learn/teach/discuss.
    I agree with this statement 100%. Sure, I don't have the knowledge or authority to discuss ultra-specific things about Hinduism or Hindu/Indian culture, but that doesn't mean I can't learn. I can always learn, and I am learning. I hope the fact that I'm a Westerner doesn't make you uncomfortable...

Hello,
    Thank you all for your replies ,in particular believer.The question here is not that why it should matter to me etc,but i just wanted to know.I now know among whom and where im in with and i,m not saying that i,m not comfortable with them or they are not part of the large Hindu family etc.Its just that,this way i'll have a better grasp of their posts and discussions.
    A converted hindu ,can't act or think like a born Hindu, according to me,becoz samskaras dont die so soon.And i may be very wrong with that too.
    Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by lalit1000 View Post
    Hello,
    I've joined this forum recently and during this last few days of browsing thru the discussions found in this forum,i get the feeling the most members here are converted to Hindus and are not mainstream Hindus like myself who are born as Hindus with all its sanskaras.
    Is my perception right or i'm totally wrong with that?
    Regards.
    PranAm, Lalit.

I too guess most members are converted Hindus. But it doesn't matter they all are devotees of Bhagavan and for Bhakti there's no need of any samskara. Love towards Bhagavan is most necessary because Bhagavan shows mercy on those who are totally surrendered to him. He doesn't see whether he's samskara or not. In fact some non-hindus know Brahman in a better way while some of my Hindu Brahmana friends don't even know what's Brahman.
    Last edited by hinduism♥krishna; 09 July 2014 at 10:12 PM.

Hello,
    For Bhakti there is no need of samskaras.
    Now,this statement can't be true.Samskaras purify your body,mind and soul which certainly helps you to be more devoted towards Dharmic activities and ofcourse God.That is why Indians have so much devotion and faith and sometimes it will very difficult to make a person, allien to Indian culture ,even understand what "devotion" actually is.Samskaras purify your Buddhi which is a quick way of realising God.Any one who is not a samskari thinks mostly analytically ,using his intellectual machinaries ,which is a clear detriment towards him achieving devotion.
    Even if you see Bhagwan,despite being the Lord of this entire Universe,always comes to this small stretch of land called India and not anywhere else.why ?Because of the Samskaras of the soil and its purity which attracts him to do His Leela here.But ,having said that,if a person who is not a samskari, gets devotion towards the Lord as fruits of his karma and Divine grace then he is very blessed indeed.
    An example well-elucidating my point is the case of Rahu,one of the Navagrahas(the9 planets).Although he got the affiliation of Devas(Gods),he could not leave his previous samskaras of the Asura(demon)which he was prior to Lord Vishnu cutting his head,(thus making Rahu and ketu separate).This head less Rahu ,although a Deva by affilation,is considered mostly as an Asuric planet only.
    Lastly,my point of posting this thread was to know among whom i'll be spending time here,whose posts i'll be reading and who will read mine.This will certainly help me a lot in understanding what is being discussed here and also help me in preparing to write my posts aswell.
    Thanks and Regards.

Pranam

Another uncalled for baseless Brahmin bashing, thank goodness they are all in hell now so we can't blame them no more!

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    they are all in hell now so we can't blame them no more
    PranAm,

I don't know who's bashing Brahmana.

Brahmanas are the very image of Bhagavan Vishnu himself. You know, Brahmana, Devata and cows are the most sacred places of Vishnu's worship.
    Last edited by hinduism♥krishna; 09 July 2014 at 10:13 PM.

Thread Information