Thread: What is Mithya?

What is Mithya?

What is Mithya?

Namaste

Perhaps this question should go to the Dharma Lexicon section, but it looks like that is only for those defining a Sanskrit word and not for one asking about such a word.

I have been asking around but am not getting an answer to my question. Even a priest at a temple could not answer this question of mine, so now I am turning to the forums.

Mithya is confusing to me. No I am NOT new to SD, but I am looking for an answer to this. Actually, this is more of a question about some advanced topics, perhaps someone can respond.

It is a term Hindus use, and this is my feel but I could be wrong, it seems to be a way of saying "fantastic but yet true" and is not the same as "illusion" or Maya (of which the definition of Maya as "illusion" may be questioned by others, but I am not asking about Maya, I am just distinguishing Mithya from Maya which to me are not the same). There is very intriguing lingustical study that the modern Euro term Myth comes from this Sanskrit word.

Om Namah Sivaya

Re: What is Mithya?

Dear friend ,
    according to me mithya is a perceptual concept about a thing which i seems to be very real but not real.

Namaste,

Mithya in the literal sense means false/untrue.

But used in the Advaitic context it means Transient hence Unreal.

Anything that is Transient is subject to the law of change..hence it does not last forever..so termed Unreal(Mithya).

Unreal as in Transient does not mean that an event did not happen..events happen but it is subject to change so its Transient..anything that remains the same is Real(Sathyam)..anything that is subject to change is Unreal(Mithyam)

For example..just say we had accidentally cut our hand..blood flows from it..but then it starts to heal and after a week even a scar is not there.

Now:

Q)Did the event happen?

A)Yes it did.

Q)Was the event subject to change?

A) Yes..it went thorough a bleeding stage.. a healing stage and finally healed without a scar.

Q)Was this event permanent or transient?

A)It was Transient

Q)Was is Sathyam or Mithyam?

A)Mithyam because it was Transient.

Q)What is Sathyam?

A)That which never changes.

Namaste,

mithyā = mith मिथ् / mithu मिथु + yā या

mith : pairing/ coming together of two entities, as in dyāva-prithvi (heaven-earth), or as in two earthly (prithviya) entities but still based on some divine law.

yā : may mean "to deviate from", "going away".

So mithyā may mean: not following Sat. Creation of entities without invoking Yagya.

That is, "distortion". Even "exaggeration".

This is not to be in entirely negative sense. Mithyā may therefore mean "legend", or forms of representational arts (as in, Micky-mouse).

The English word myth, however, seems to come from mith/ mithu, and not mithyā. Myth might simply mean originally "occult/ esoteric stuff" from some distant past.

P.S.: this is only a pov. Tentative one at that
    Things to remember:

1. Life = yajña
    2. Depth of Āstika knowledge is directly proportional
    to the richness of Sanskrit it is written in
    3. Āstika = Bhārata ("east") / Ārya ("west")
    4. Varṇa = tripartite division of Vedic polity
    5. r = c. x²
    where,
    r = realisation
    constant c = intelligence
    variable x = bhakti

Hi.,

This is one of the word that is deeply analysed and refuted as one of the tenets of Advaita by the TattvaVada Scholars.

Here is the link to a book that you can read it in english Mithyatva Anumana Khandana

Mithya - mukya artha is "false" ( english is weak here so you have to understand what it means by more than one english word and be open to it)
    Mithya also means - Deception
    Mithya also means - Not Real ( If 'false' is understood as positive and "not real" is also taken as 'positive' - the position of Advaita in fact)
    Mithya also can mean "illusory' - Not Illusion itself but as an adjective

But not sure if you just wanted to know the literal meaning of the word or some context to it?

Hare Krshna!

Wow! I am overwhelmed with thanks. Some incredible responses here. Special kudos to all but also KT was engaging indeed and insightful in terms. So it looks like I may be wrong. To me it feels more like the English word "fantastic" fits, but ... this has been helpful, thank you again.

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

just another angle on this...

mithas मिथस् is together , mutually , reciprocally , alternately , to or fro or with each other.
    Please consider the following:
    • mithaḥ is mutual obligation;
    • mitha is meeting together as rivals
    • mithunī - to become paired.
    • Yet mithuyā ( note the long ā ) is conflictingly , false, incorrectly.
    • Hence mithyā is inadvertently, incorrectly, improperly, contrarily
      ( which comes from or is ~contracted~ from the word above, mithuyā)

Mithyā is personified as the wife of adharma
    iti śiva
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste ShivaFan,

Mithya is the most difficult concept to understand. In Advaita, Mithya means :

Anything which is real from VyAvhArika (our state where we see and perceive things with mind and sense organs) state but unreal from ParamArthika state (the Absolute which is the Reality).

Whatever you see in this world and whatever you perceive in this world are all Mithya. Reality that is, is unchanging, eternal, unborn and indestructible i.e. the fourth state of Brahman also known as Nirguna (attributeless) Brahman. This Nirguna Brahman has power of MAyA which can be manifest or unmanifest. MAyA too is beginningless but can end on Self-realisation of a particular Jeeva for that Jeeva where he realises that he is none but Brahman.

MAyA has two powers : Power of projection and power of veiling the Reality. MAyA gives rise to Jeeva and this gross world and also subtle world where Jeeva stays without a gross body but with all mental sense organs. All this world and Jeeva are creation of MAyA and are Mithya. What you see and perceive as Jeeva and different worlds, space and time and whatever is actually Brahman (which is without part and changeless sole Reality) but is perceived different from Brahman due to power of MAyA. Anything which is perceived as different from Brahman is Mithya. Even Ishvara is Mithya.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thread Information